Data wiper

Honestly, if it's that important that you make the data unrecoverable, it's worth 50 bucks to get a new drive.

That program looks like it'd keep out the casuals. Last I heard, data could be recovered even after 7 full wipes and that was about 3 years ago. Who knows what they can do now.

The program looks sound in theory but I agree that if your actually trying to keep out absolutly everyone there is no other choice but to destroy the drive. If your trying to keep the FBI or whatever from finding your stuff you have to destroy the platters of the hard drive.

If you want to keep out someone who has some utilities and a little spare time like a nosey parent or college admin that program would probably work.

I was thinking of selling the drive on eBay or something but it's quickly becoming apparent that it's more hassle than it's worth.

Just download DBAN and do a multi-pass wipe and the chances of everything being recovered is very slim, without specialized knowledge and tools. I really don't forsee anyone buying drives with the intention of trying to find sensative data anyway, without specifically targeting a certain user or business.

If you have a box with XP Pro, just format the drive and run "cipher /w:<driver letter>". If you are really paranoid, run it three times.

Its free, writes zero's to free space first, then writes F's, then writes random data. The three passes should stop anybody short of a government.

Back