Data vericication/Hdd test proggies (hdd probs)

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently came under the suspicion that one of my 2 120 gb hdds might have something wrong with it. Im probably going to get some sort of external hdd to make a backup of my massive music collection and would like to test the hdds before i do anything, as well as be able to test the data before and after i transfer it. So heres what im looking for.

1. Automated program that will check BOTH hard drives, and then display/save results. Windows based would be nicer but dos is ok i guess. Im gonna be out of town for 3 days so i figure that is long enough for 240 gigs to test at the fullest extent.

2. Automated program that will test data integrity (mainly mp3s and adobe suite files) again windows based would be best so i can test with the external hdd.

Finally, if it turns out that my hdds are fine, what would cause massive lag on file access, ie playing mp3s and when the hdd with the files on it is being written to (even read sometimes) it causes a breakup in the stream like there is some collison. Bad swap file? Bad sound card (hercules game theatre XP) what?

and instead you get
the manufacturer's diagnostic (typically available free at their website)
haxial hash (or any other checksum youd like to find\try)
ATACT (dont ask me Im still trying to figure it out :p
start with renaming the .UG files to .txt)
and this link

;)

well i guess it doesnt matter if its automated now, cause im already away. I guess i can just look on the manu sites and get their tool.

What is the likelyhood of the ide cable or ide channel having something wrong with it that would cause my symptoms. Also do you think it could just be a windows problem that a format would cure.

like it says in that Corrupted Files thread there are lots of ways to fubar data, its more or less inorder of probability
your memory is more likely
as far as cables, really depends on what your using, how they are routed, on the other hand if its a driver (busmaster) issue a reformat would probably fix it as would bad sectors because a full format would lock out any bad sectors after a physical scan

you overclocking?
power is always a perennial favorite

you basically start at the beginning (verifying there is a problem)
and then work through the possibilities

I do suppose that is the best process, i have a hard time believing that it is my ram or powersupply as both of those are top notch (corsair XMS and a 400w raidmax alu with super tight rails) im overclocking only slightly and its mainly for tight timings not for MHZ. I'll run all the tests and see what i come up with when i get back on monday, hopefully that there is no physical problem and my 18 month old format just needs a kick in the pants.

Im running a 3 year old format without issues or corruption

Back