data transfer from pc to mac question

siralexu

Limp Gawd
so im finally switching to a mac and want to save all of my stuf to the mac but i cant do a direct file transfer between the pc and the mac since im giving my pc away before i get my mac so my question is will OSX see my external hdd and will it let me copy the pictures music and videos from it to the mac?

It should. OSX can read/write to fat32 formatted drives and I think it can at least read from ntfs drives. I believe it takes additional software to be able to write to a ntfs formatted drive in OSX though.

The post above is correct: default OSX won't write to NTFS partitions but it can read them just fine. If the drive is in the machine, or even attached as an external it should show up in Finder without issues. Then it's just a matter of dragging/dropping the files to their new home on the OSX drive(s), that's about it.

Brave move giving away your PC before you even get the Mac. You might be kicking your self in the ass for that latter.

But yeah as the others said it should see the files on your external drive just fine.

Yeah i promised my mom i would give her my pc after i got my macbook pro but her old one fryed so i didnt have any option but to get the mac faster then i planed. I have no regrets works like a dream ive gotten the hang of it pretty fast and didnt have any problems copying my files thanks again for the info guys

Back