Data Storage (transfering from other pc)

Taradino

Limp Gawd
Hey, I've got to transfer about 500 GB of data, now with my accumulation of hard drives over the years, I'm building a computer with about 10 hard drives of all different sizes.

*plan/idea*
So question is, whats the best way of transfering the data over? I am putting win2k has the OS, then setting up FTP server with each hdd on a quota.

But as the data is being transferred over a 10-100 network, should I put in a couple extra nic cards and setup FTP server per ip address (designated via the nic), to help transfer the data (shortening the overall data transfer time)(or is this stupid as then the speed would be governed by the CPU and hdd speeds).

Anybody have any suggestions?

Depending on the exact configuration the 100Mbps may in fact be your limit. If you are only using a hub then it won't matter. If you are using a decent switch then 2 NIC may help it out some if you have multiple computers accessing it.

I'm going to get 2 gigabit network cards from futureshop and use them, I'll get a cross over cable and specify IP"s for both pc's.

Back