data storage in VB6

Desova

Limp Gawd
hi,

I'm looking to write an app to make my workload easier, basically storing information on clients, auto generating paperwork etc but the only kind of databasing i've on in VB6 is using text files.

obviously i'd need something a bit more powerful for business use, i've got experience with MySQL from websites (php), and have it installed on the pc but have had no success working with it locally so far.

the other option seems to be using an access database to store the information, but how would i go about creating and interacting with it?

access seems to be the best idea as if you can include vb script into an access database, surely interacting wont be that much harder?

If you've got experience with PHP & MySQL, why not use those tools? They'll get the job done just as well.

If you're dead set on using VB6, look into using a connection string.

you need to install apache and mysql locally in order to use php with mysql locally. there are packages that group them together but don't have a link on hand

ZeroX said:
If you've got experience with PHP & MySQL, why not use those tools? They'll get the job done just as well.
I'd rather it didnt work via http though since it will eventually hold information that should be kept as secure as possible and i dont want to have to wait on internet lag either (should the whole system be hosted.)

If you're dead set on using VB6, look into using a connection string.

that doesnt seem too paintul, although it wants to use MyODBC, which i'm assuming is a plugin / API although i cant seem to find it anywhere...

I beleive, that you will need to setup mySQL as a system datasource using the ODBC dll. Then, you'll need to load the ADO reference into VB6 (Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects). Then, you should be able to create a connection string that will work with your data....

If you are going to report generating you could look into Crystal Reports. It makes report generating a much easier task once you get used to it.

If you are using VB6, you have a couple of options. You can use the old data tool or ADO. ADO has more options, but I have found that sometimes I can manipulate the data tool to do something easier than in ADO.

Here is a simple ADO Guide to get you started.

If you don't need the higher up functionality of MySQL/Access you could use dbf tables.

odoe said:
If you are going to report generating you could look into Crystal Reports. It makes report generating a much easier task once you get used to it.

If you are using VB6, you have a couple of options. You can use the old data tool or ADO. ADO has more options, but I have found that sometimes I can manipulate the data tool to do something easier than in ADO.

Here is a simple ADO Guide to get you started.

If you don't need the higher up functionality of MySQL/Access you could use dbf tables.

i'll have a look at that. dbf files would probably be fine though as i dont need to do any real manipulation on them, i'm just wanting to avoid using text files as they are horribly insecure and more complex that it needs to be

i've never actually done anything in VB6 that required that i use a database, but i'd imagine that it's quite simliar to that of ASP.

Set myDirtyVbDbObject = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

then you can do whatever you like, you can set the connectionString, or just use open and pass the string.

look up ADO, that might get you going.. i hope.

Back