Data Repair ?

RealMentalCase

Limp Gawd
hi :)

My wife is having a few problems with her PC :confused:

I'm pretty sure the HD is working properly

She would have files that would just disappear and she can't change pictures of folders
and other weird stuff ! :(

She has already done the XP repair a few times and nothing seems to help !

is there a way to see if you have any bad data in a program like Turbo Tax
or any other type that would affect the whole system and is there software i can use
to find bad data and repair it without doing an XP repair or reinstalling all of the
programs that are having trouble ?

RealMentalCase said:
She would files that would just disappear and can't change pictures of folders
and other weird stuff !

How and where exactly are the files disappearing? What is happening when she tries to change the icon for a particular folder? Are there any error messages?

when she wants to change a icon of a folder she would right click it and when she clicks properties nothing happens !

also when she trys to open her address book in outlook it says can not be located or that it doesn't exist or it has been deleted or do not have permission and she's always had
a address book and does not auto type in outlook and word ! :confused:

another problem is that her internet connection is very slow and and i bought her the
same cpu / motherboard / memory that i have for xmas and were hooked to the same
router !!! :(

A virus sounds like a really good probability. What AV program are you using, and are you sure your virus definitions are up to date?

I have norton system works and She has norton system works and
norton internet security and everything is up to date !

My PC is fine and FAST as a M/F !!! :D

I just don't get it :confused:

What the HELL can it be ? :(

well it could be any number of things
but just because you have an AV loaded and its up to date doesnt mean much
the first thing any successfull infection will do is compromise your AV

the Rampant Paranoia 101 sticky regarding how you might go about actually determining if your compromised
an online scan would be a good starting place

what your asking for isnt really available, there are no programs that will be able to go through and find "bad data"
you can recover data that for one reason or another the pointers to have disappeared
you can look for invalid registry entries, but as to acually determining if a program or a set of data is "bad" read corrupted, youd need something to compare it to, like a checksum
as to why its happening, on the infection front, restore points are often the target for an infection which is why you dsable them (and they are erased) when cleaning up a system

as to the root causes of data corruption
Corruption 101 start with testing the memory

as to data recovery, (which it doesnt sound like you need per se) File Scavenger

as to checksum, well some aps have checksums listed and any data set youve run a checksum on or want to do that with in the future, employ fsum

as for invalid registry entries (not spyware\malware)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html

generally speaking you cannot "repair" data
once its borked its borked, if its an ap you reinstall it, an OS can often be repaired (again by reinstalling the corrupted peices), but a photo, video, or document generally cant
which is why you have full backup at all times

this also could be a software conflict or user error
but there isnt really enough information to tell

Back