Data recovery taking an eternity

pizza

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. Recently my 1tb hard drive failed and I didn't have a backup system running yet as the drive was fairly new. Now I have learned my lesson. Anyway I've just started using easeus data recovery wizard pro. It appears to be working but the estimated time left is 400+ hours! :eek: I was wondering if it would be faster if I scan just for pictures, then just for documents, etc? Or would it take the same amount of time because it will still slowly scan the whole drive? Should I just try and forget about it for the next month while it scans?

Also, I have the drive connected through a usb hard drive dock. Would it be faster if I connect it internally through sata?

Last edited:
never heard of it

try getdataback or R-Data

it would take long for any program cause it has to scan every sector, then try to get the file.

ditch the USB harddrive dock and put it in the system, USB if your lucky you can get like 25-28MB/sec vs 60+ in your computer.

Is it finding files and folders? If nothing is showing up then its not really scanning. The drive is probably too damaged for data recovery. You can try other recovery software and see if it acts any differently.

Yeah, it's finding folders but its just taking forever. The one I was using. Easeus datarecovery pro gave me an estimated completion time of 2-3 weeks. I switched the drive to Sata and I'm using the reccomended app getdataback but it still seems to be taking an eternity. This app isn't as responsive and the easeus one so I might switch it back. The estimated time keeps changing and only says a few hours and the app is unresponsive. :(

If I just scan for picture files, then video, etc will that save me time or will it scan the whole drive over and over so it will make no difference?

Yeah, it's finding folders but its just taking forever. The one I was using. Easeus datarecovery pro gave me an estimated completion time of 2-3 weeks. I switched the drive to Sata and I'm using the reccomended app getdataback but it still seems to be taking an eternity. This app isn't as responsive and the easeus one so I might switch it back. The estimated time keeps changing and only says a few hours and the app is unresponsive. :(

If I just scan for picture files, then video, etc will that save me time or will it scan the whole drive over and over so it will make no difference?

If you do it individually it will still go over every sector of the drive looking for that type of document or picture. I would recommend just letting it run. Come back in several hours and see where it at.

You stop it and start it again it going to take that much longer ;) due to it has to start all over again.

Most of these apps keeps freezing and becoming unresponsive when I run them. That's why I quit them.

I will try the 64 bit version of recuva. That is one of the ones that froze on me.

I also tried running hdd regenerator and it froze. :(

I'm thinking of trying the freezer method. Is that a good idea?

Back