Data Recovery partition

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jcg624, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jcg624

jcg624 Limp Gawd

wasn't sure where to put this thread. Is there anyway to recover a partition and data on the partition if the partition was deleted. Then the drive was partitioned again and data was written to the drive. I have a copy of Hiren's 9.5 does that have any recovery tools that can help.

I would appreciate any help.

2. techmanc

techmanc n00b

I used GetDataBack with good recovery or my data but I break it out as soon as its needed. The writing to the hard drive before you attempt a restore can cause a lot of data loss. Heres the link..........

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

3. jcg624

jcg624 Limp Gawd

Thanks for info. How do the ones on the Hiren's 9.5 boot cd work though anyone know. Would like to try a free alternative first.

4. OldMX

OldMX 2[H]4U

If the disk was in use, and the OS actually overwrote the old information with new data i think you're out of luck, but no one knows till you run some data recovery software...getdataback is worth every penny in my opinion :D

5. jcg624

jcg624 Limp Gawd

6. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

Hiren's is a warez-laden product so, don't mention it around here... bad Karma. :)

Data recovery partitions are typically put to the rear of the drive's capacity (like a 250GB drive might have 230GB set up for the user and a ~20GB section at the very back end of the drive was used by the manufacturer for the space to hold that "recovery" partition.

Because sometimes - note I'm saying sometimes - such partitions don't use standard FAT32 or NTFS file systems, but some weird partition offset depending on the manufacturer's decisions, it might not show up at all anymore because of that reason. If it does appear it'll be a "non-System disk" or something similar.

TestDisk is open source data recovery software that I've had outstanding results with over the past year or so. It can typically restore a partition it finds that has been deleted (meaning the partition table entry was removed or reset to make it appear the partition doesn't exist anymore). It's worth looking into, but as already noted above, if you've used that drive since this started, you may have done irrevocable damage to the partition tables and never be able to get the data "back" sooo...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

7. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Zero Assumption Recovery will do it.