• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Data recoverable from failed RAID 0?

edgeprod

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Messages
158
My Falcon Northwest PC recently suffered a hardware failure after a few months (actually, it was my second Falcon to die, but that's not the point of this thread).

The RAID software (NVIDIA, incidentally) is reporting a failure of the second drive. In this scenario, is it possible to recover data in "pieces" from the non-failed drive? Or using a specific utility to try to rebuild the tables in some way?

I'm not worried about the $79 drive (it's a WD2500KS /250GB/16MB, etc.), and I will likely end my relationship with Falcon. However, I don't want to end my relationship with the data on the drive in between the most recent backup and the failure. Some very important emails from a client came in about FIVE minutes before the failure, and it's somewhat embarassing to ask for a re-send.

Any idea or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
 
D'oh. I should have asked Falcon more about it when I had it built.

There's no way to suck data off the drive, like you can when it's a single drive that has failed?
 
If you can access both drives you can get some data back by trying to de-stripe it.
If you can only access one drive, you may be able to get SOME files back, provided that they are entirely within the stripe that you have left over, i.e. usually less than 64Kb.

I'd probably involve quite a bit of work...
 
drizzt81 said:
If you can access both drives you can get some data back by trying to de-stripe it.
If you can only access one drive, you may be able to get SOME files back, provided that they are entirely within the stripe that you have left over, i.e. usually less than 64Kb.

I'd probably involve quite a bit of work...

Some of that might be an option. It was reading the drive okay for a while, just wouldn't boot all the way. Now, the array reports a failure of one drive.
 
Back
Top