Data protection

Maximu

n00b
Hello!
I am going to use my laptop instead of my work computer as I sometimes work from home. And I have a question if it is safe, considering that I will use this laptop during my off hours. What should I do to keep my information safe?
I will be grateful for your answers.

Hi. This is not very safe, considering that you will most likely be storing commercial information on your laptop.
First of all, install antivirus on your laptop, use strong passwords.
I don't think you'll allow internet access to be restricted, so be careful when using unfamiliar sites.
There are more tips here https://www.helpwire.app/blog/byod-security/
And in my opinion, you should definitely discuss this with your boss, maybe then they will install programs on your laptop that are necessary for data protection.

Hello!
I am going to use my laptop instead of my work computer as I sometimes work from home. And I have a question if it is safe, considering that I will use this laptop during my off hours. What should I do to keep my information safe?
Does your company have an IT department? I would consult them to be honest. While it is noble to want to secure it, posting in a forum even here isn't going to provide enough info or ability to harden a system and you wouldn't want to own that liability either. Because if anything happens to this laptop that you provided, you will be responsible for the damages that could occur. If your company provides one, then they own that responsibility.

Hello!
No, NOPE, & nOttA.....

Don't do it, period, as this opens you up to so many legal liabilities that just thinking about it could potentially bankrupt you in a split second...

ALWAYS keep work stuff & personal stuff 1000% separate.... don't even check your personal email or bank accounts or anything else on the work machine....

A few of my coworkers did this years ago......1 of them is in jail, the 2nd one is STILL (6 years later) repaying the company for the losses they sustained, and the 3rd one took his own life over the stress and pain it caused him...

Just
Not
worth it

While I tend to agree with the ones here saying, simply, "Just don't do it"... one thing you can do is ask your company if they have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy and what it entails. Quite a few companies have policies around this. Most boil down to allowing the company IT to manage the device during your employment with them.

Where I work, I have two company issued laptops. One stays at home, docked, the other I use when working away from home, and has far less sensitive data and such on it, just in case.

While I tend to agree with the ones here saying, simply, "Just don't do it"... one thing you can do is ask your company if they have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy and what it entails. Quite a few companies have policies around this. Most boil down to allowing the company IT to manage the device during your employment with them.
Yea but regardless, you still should neva, eva, neva mix personal stuff with work stuff, for the reasons that have already been explained...

Yea but regardless, you still should neva, eva, neva mix personal stuff with work stuff, for the reasons that have already been explained...
If there's a clear BYOD policy, and it's adhered to, the reasons in this thread are not applicable.

If there's a clear BYOD policy, and it's adhered to, the reasons in this thread are not applicable.
ONLY if you don't mind your employer having access to your ALL your personal info on your "BYOD" machine....

IMHO, they already know enough about me as it is, I am certainly NOT gonna give them a single byte moar unless they specifically request it in writing, and give me a written business-related reason why they need the info involved....

It really depends on the data sensitivites.

The minute you have other employees data in anyway because you are in accounting, HR or anything like that, it is an automatic look with your employer.

But in the last 3 years, wfh using personal computer is quite common and not an automatic no no. specially if the computer is used to log and work on a session on a work server, making a work virtual machine to do it on your own computer can easily completely disconnect the 2 or just 2 different account depending of the amount wanted.

A lot of workplace has 0 technical ability to access stuff, if they are big enough to have an IT department than obviously ask them, they are for sure a procedure by now if they allow WFH. Big enterprise experience does not necessarily apply for someone working for a gym or 3-10 employees of any type.

If there a procedure and they give you a Laptop, you could look to make virtual machine for work (or for home stuff)

Back