Data or voice only?

That's not setup to be used as a switch punch down panel for network data. Though you can use CAT cable to wire up some ancient analog phones :)

Thank you. I am trying to figure out how to network my house. I have all the wiring run now I need to tie it altogether. I did the keystone f connectors in the rooms but having a hard time where it all meets up.

you have two options... just put connectors on the ends of the cables and plug them into a network switch... this is the ghetto way, but for a home? not a big deal

or punch it down to a patch panel and get short patch cords to plug them into your network switch

If you have various type of connectors such as coax, phone, and ethernet a keystone patch panel is an option too. You terminate it like a jack.

For a basic home setup you want this:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=55914&minisite=10251

Don't put your wap in there. If you have a cable modem put it in there and run 2 ethernet to where you want the router/wap. One for WAN feed, one for LAN feed to a switch in the enclosure.

Keep in mind that no jack should have less than 2 cat5e (or better) wires run to it.

Don't buy the suggested panel size based on the calculator, buy the biggest one that'll fit. Be sure to put 2 electrical outlets in it too.

Thanks guys. This is for my home and I was looking for something cheap and simple to get all my media going. I appreciate all the replies.

I am not the sharpest when it comes to any electrical or wiring type of stuff so I will end up hiring someone when I get some money.

kreidel,

While I would never advise someone to do something they're not comfortable doing, I'd really recommend taking a second look at doing this yourself. It's not hard, and it's not dangerous. Lots of people are suggesting both keystone jacks and patch panels, both of these have wiring diagrams built into them, and it's super simple to follow. You'll notice if you look at any pictures of them they have 4 colors, blue, orange, green, and brown. When you buy cat5e (or cat6, etc) cable you're buying 4 pair cable, those are your 4 pairs. They're 'pairs' because every color has a white one to go with it. Your pairs are blue/blue-white, orange/orange-white, green/green-white, and brown/brown-white.

That's it. You only need 2 pairs for ethernet, so 1 cable gives you 2 ethernet jacks on each side. One using the green/orange one using the blue/brown (or however you choose to do it or the wiring tells you to do it.) The thing is, as long as you do the same colors on both sides it doesn't matter and you can't mess it up. (you *can* do this, but most wiring diagrams are going to be 1 cable = 1 port, just thought you should know.)

I've literally had 6 year olds help me terminate ends before, anyone can do it - take a second look and consider saving the money!

Last edited:
You need 4 pairs for ethernet... unless you only want to do 10/100 but if you're going through the work of running cable it makes sense to do gig even if you don't want to buy gig equipment at first. Even if you don't wire it 100% in a compliant way at least the wiring is there, and you'll still get half decent speeds. I have not tested every one of my drops individually but any transfers I do I tend to get about 110MB/sec in average with spikes going to 120 and that's using toolless keystones. If I was to do it over again I'd use punch down though. Get a punch down tool.

But yeah it's not too hard to do, it's some work, but not complicated once you get the hang of it. Helps a lot if you have access to the ceiling joists in the basement though. If the basement is finished and does not use removable tiles like drop ceiling it will prove harder to do.

This is true, 2 pair is 10/100 and you need all 4 for greater speeds, the reason I mention (and do it every day) is the majority of home networks don't actually make use of gigabit networks, if you're only connecting to your devices and your typical cable/dsl internet, it's fine to only use 2 pairs. If you actually have file servers or a media center etc in your house and make use of the extra bandwidth, sure, wire up all 4 - most people and most situations don't require it.

Back