Data mirage/location/ramdrive issue Windows 7

nasunor

n00b
I don't want to create a mklink I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory. When my job is finished I will shut of the mirage and write contents of ramdrive to c:\someotherdrivedirectory having first copied the data from c:\someotherdrivedirectory to the ramdrive z:\

I want data from location c:\example\example1
to be written to my ramdrive z:\ instead.
How to make programs write to z:\ when directed at c:\example\example1

Thanks.

*Edit: To explain I need reliable IO for a VBform on a bogged HD. VB Does not do ramdrives well so I'm managing it manually (for now). I understand 7 will use any spare RAM for disk caching.

Last edited:
1) Please rewrite, your description is very confusing
2) Why don't you want a mklink? A symbolic directory link seems like what you need.
3) You could also just mount the z: as a folder path using diskmgmt.msc

I wrote it like that so as not to be confusing.
Though I am confused by all that I read about mklink. It seems to me that when that link is made the data exists in both locations.
I want the data only in the ramdrive.
The use of diskmgmt.msc for this is great!
Thanks.

I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory

I want x as y instead of y. Do you see my confusion? You said "instead of" referring to THE SAME THING both times.

You're confusing mklink (namely, mklink /d) with junction (mklink /j).

Glad I could help despite the ... interesting ... description.

Have had a hard time explaining myself, my whole life.
It sucks.
Thanks for your understanding and help.
*Edit: "I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory " Still makes perfect sense to me.
I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory (From the perspective of the program writing the data) instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory (The actual Directory from the perspective of the OS)(Implied due to listing the same location twice). I assume people know what is going through my mind. Which is often not how others think.

Last edited:
Why not mount the drive to a folder instead of to a drive letter?

Then c:\someotherdrivedirectory would be the new drive's mount-point, instead of trying to create a symlink or directory junction.

Bond Disk which I am using does not give me this option. I could of course find a less useful to me alternative with this function but why, when there is the Hardforum, where I can ask my fellows for a solution?

It sucks.
*Edit: "I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory " Still makes perfect sense to me.
I want my ramdrive z:\ to be accessed as c:\someotherdrivedirectory (From the perspective of the program writing the data) instead of c:\someotherdrivedirectory (The actual Directory from the perspective of the OS)(Implied due to listing the same location twice). I assume people know what is going through my mind. Which is often not how others think.

So you want to create a symbolic link to the ramdrive that points to c:\someotherdirectory

So you want to create a symbolic link to the ramdrive that points to c:\someotherdirectory

nasunor wants to mount the ramdisk on c:\someotherdirectory with ramdisk software that does not support mounting to a folder only a drive letter. However nasunor does not want the ramdisk to use a drive letter because the same stuff will be in 2 places when with the symbolic link method.

I don't care if its in two locations as long as they are the z:\ (ramdrive) and c:\someotherdirectory (representing the actual c:\someotherdirectory). As long as the data is not also written to the actual c:\someotherdirectory.

nasunor wants to mount the ramdisk on c:\someotherdirectory with ramdisk software that does not support mounting to a folder only a drive letter. However nasunor does not want the ramdisk to use a drive letter because the same stuff will be in 2 places when with the symbolic link method.

Uh, a junction point IS a symbolic link.

nasunor corrected me that hiding the ramdisk drive letter was not necessary so I thought that we were back to being able to use a junction. However now that I read the question again (with the edits) that will not work.

It sucks.
Are you trying to say "When a write happens to C:\someotherdirectory, I want it to instead write to the ramdisk and not to the c drive"?

Then all you need is a junction.
Not really, the junction point will contain a reference to the other files. As far as I know, you can't do cross-drive junctions (from the docs, it says "C:\dir1 linked to Z:\dir2" is not allowed).

Nasunor, I'd suggest doing the following: create your z:, open diskmgmt.msc, remove the drive letter from it, assign it as a mounted folder at c:\someotherdrivedirectory. If the software you're using doesn't allow for that - find better software ;)

Uh, a junction point IS a symbolic link.

Kind of... it's a soft link within the same NTFS volume. The junction is a reparse point where the operating system understand the data stored there and redirects the file operation. On the other hand, a "true" symbolic link is a file system object that points to another file system object.

Back