• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check) -> how to fix it?

Sancho

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2001
Messages
244
Hi,

I've recently noticed a few errors on WinXP along the lines "Could not copy file. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" when copying some of my podcasts (through iTunes) from the C: drive to the D: drive (the D: drive is bigger). I realize this means the file is corrupted.

I have reason to believe that the corruption happened at some point AFTER the podcast file was downloaded. There were a few podcasts which I was able to transfer to my iPod without any trouble and listen to them, but when copying them to the D: drive I'd get errors with some of the files. Most recently one of these corrupted files won't even transfer to my iPod and it crashes the computer altogether when played in iTunes.

Is this a bad drive or is it possible that iTunes is somehow corrupting random podcasts it downloads? I haven't (yet) noticed this happening with any other files on my C: drive that aren't podcast MP3s. If it is the drive, how do I fix this?

Thanks a bunch!
 
Likely a drive problem. install some SMART monitoring tools.
 
To actually crash the entire computer it almost has to be a hardware problem of some form. It's possible itunes has a virus or some form of malware but extremely unlikely IMHO. Try replacing the cable and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Run chkdsk to fix any errors that it finds and see if that helps with the problem. If it's still occuring you will likely need to replace the drive. It could be the controller or your mobo but I'd consider that highly unlikely as well.
 
CRC error when copying to/from a hard drive indicates either a drive problem, or a bad IDE/SATA cable. I have experienced both.

Check Event Viewer under the System section. Look for any errors that mention DISK. You should see a few of them. If one of the errors says that "Windows has changed the communcation mode for your disk to PIO" this in my experience has always indicated a bad IDE controller or bad cable.

I'd first try switching out the IDE/SATA cable if you have a spare. If the problem doesn't clear, then run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If the utility doesn't show a problem it could be your motherboard/controller, try the drive on a different computer if possible.
 
Back
Top