Data Centre Design Info?

Tim Wardlaw

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
I was curious to know if any of you here on the [H] are data centre design architects. I am a network analyst working on my CCDP and would like to get some input from the industry on where I would get started in the area of data centre design consulting.

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to work in the complete design of system infrastructure but I'm not really sure how to gain the knowledge to become certified or get the credentials needed to do my own consulting work. The only route I know is to take an architecture degree and I'm not about to go back to school atm.

If any of you know names of firms that do consulting work, infrastructure implementation or anything along the lines of data centre best practices information, I would appreciate it if you post your thoughts about it here.

I am looking for info on any books, courses, consulting firms or training centers that you guys know of.

Much appreciated,
~Tim

For the past three years, I've been my company's data center planner. I organize what servers go where and try to monitor heat loads and rack layouts.

Bick Group, HP, Tier IV, and APC do consulting work for data center design and best practices.

...without knowing your background...

There are a lot of different aspects to data center design that must be completely thought out and correct the first time...or it will be very expensive to correct later on. Examples of things to be familiar with would be fire codes for the areas covered, cooling systems (chillers, DX, in-row cooling, overhead, lamener (spelling?) air flow), power systems, cabling systems (when to home run...when to patch panel...overhead/underfloor plenum), power distribution within the rack. I learned all my stuff by being thrown to the wolves. I've made mistakes, but I've got a pretty good system by now. Make friends with the electrician and HVAC guys.

Having a mechanical engineering and architectural engineering degree would give you the theories...but knowing what products is out there will complete the construction of a design. I don't think it'd be practical to start out designing the whole shebang. I think it'd be better to start out on a team and learn what the whole shebang looks like first.

Fark_Maniac,
Thanks for the input.

I think what you are saying is very true. I believe that in the next year or so I may have an opportunity to work on a data centre remodel. That will give me a foundation to start with and hopefully from there I can gain more knowledge for the future.

Back