Data Center Network Design

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
I just wanted to see if this network design makes sense or if there is a better way it can be done. The current setup doesn't include the distribution layer, but there is also only one cab with servers and storage. So right now cab 3 goes directly to cab 1 and cab 2. Since I will be adding a 4th cab with servers and storage, should I also add redundant switches prior to the core routers? Cabs 3 and 4 are going to share compute and storage. I don't want to daisy chain 3 and 4 since I need to easily expand into a 5th cab later.

Cloud_Network.png

Short answer, yes at the size your going to a distro layer is requirement if it can be done. What vendor will this be with?

Here are all three options. Option 3 means using core routers for the ESXi hosts to access storage.

Attachments

• Network_Option1.png
    Network_Option1.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Network_Option2.png
    Network_Option2.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Network_Option3.png
    Network_Option3.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
Here are all three options. Option 3 means using core routers for the ESXi hosts to access storage.

Putting your storage directly on the "core" isn't bad if the setup allows for it in smaller networks.

If your network is small, and your distribution layer isn't doing anything different than your core, you could easily just stick with option 3. If you don't have the port density for the next few years, then you would probably want to go with 1 or 2.. Not too familiar with Arista switches, but assuming your storage is either NFS or iscsi based, so depending on your network segments, may or may not require L3, in which case, option 2 could probably be your best overall solution... cost not being a factor.

We ended up going with option 4.

Attachments

• Network_Option4.png
    Network_Option4.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Back