Data backup, new solution needed.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by TordanGow, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

I'm looking to improve my backup solution.

My requirements would be:
    • Can compact the files to a strong encrypted archive. I want the files encrypted before being sent to remote data storage.
    • Can backup to the remote storage location over SSH & SCP
    • Can backup files to a local NAS.
    • Automated and runs on a schedule. I want this to be a set and forget style solution.

Open source and one-time paid solutions are fine, will not consider a subscription based solution.

2. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Use two Synology NAS appliances with CloudStation ShareSync.

What kind of data, exactly and what is the budget? Is this just unstructured files/folders type data?

3. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

Wherever I had to apply a backup solution, always a custom made script with console and/or third party small tools was what I was going with. When asking for a all-in-one tool/program, it depends on what OS you want it to work on. Most often there is a better solution for that OS than some multi-platform one.

4. Cmustang87

Can I ask why you are against a subscription based solution? It will also be helpful to know what kind of data is being backed up to get the right solution.

5. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

Family Pictures and videos, important docs like tax filings, normal everyday word documents, etc. Stuff a home user would have.

I already have the remote storage, $25/year for 1TB. I have a NAS in place already as well, 18 TB usable space on freenas 11.1. Encryption requirements are in the event the storage provider gets compromised somehow. I don't want anyone else to have the keys except for me. Source is os windows 10, remote os is Linux. NAS is available by a samba share.

6. Cmustang87

it looks like you've already got a solution in place. What are you trying to change?

Meeho likes this.
  7. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Can't you get your FreeNAS to do what you want?

8. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

Its all manual.

IE. Drag and copy files to the NAS. Manually update encrypted archives. Upload to the remote server via filezilla.

9. Cmustang87

You should be able script with FreeNAS.

10. dmolter

dmolter Limp Gawd

Like you, I had a pretty similar setup where I had a large primary NAS unit and cloud storage I only used for manual backups of my important files etc. I ended up building another NAS unit and using Rsync to automatically copy things over to the secondary unit using Rsync. While my setup is kind of unique in that I use the secondary as the server for Plex as well, it seems to work well for me. I also have access to an unlimited google drive account, so I am looking at backing things up to that as a third tier eventually.

11. Cmustang87

A Synology NAS can sync automatically to Google w/ Cloud Sync.

12. grasshoppa

grasshoppa [H]ard|Gawd

backblaze lets you specify an encryption key which they never store; you lose it, your crap is gone. They get hacked, your data is safe.

13. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

Thanks for the ideas, while not what I implemented it put me onto a direction that worked. My solution was a batch file with a run schedule. Not that anyone directly asked, but in the event this comes up in a forum search here was my solution, replaced my information and marked with [BRACKETS]. The SCP script only transfers the AES encrpyted archive to the remote server.

Code:
    **Create MAPPING **

net use Z: \\10.0.0.15\ImportantData /user:[MYUSERNAME] [MYPASSWORD]
    Z:
    cd Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\
    attrib -A Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\*

**CREATE Multi  FOLDER ARCHIVES (NO SPACES IN SOURCE FOLDER NAMES)**
    dir /AD /b Z:\ImportantData\pictures\ > z:\fldlist.txt
    for /f "eol=c" %%f in (z:\fldlist.txt) do "C:\PROGRA~1\WinRAR\rar.exe" u -r -m1 -rr5 -hp[PASSWORD] "Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\%%f.rar" "Z:\ImportantData\pictures\%%f"

**CREATE SINGLE FOLDER ARCHIVES**
    C:\PROGRA~1\WinRAR\rar.exe u -r -m1 -rr5 -hp[PASSWORD] Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\presentations.rar Z:\ImportantData\presentations\*
    C:\PROGRA~1\WinRAR\rar.exe u -r -m1 -rr5 -hp[PASSWORD] Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\tax.rar Z:\ImportantData\tax\*
    C:\PROGRA~1\WinRAR\rar.exe u -r -m1 -rr5 -hp[PASSWORD] Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\mydocuments.rar C:\Users\[WINDOWSUSERNAME]\Documents\*

**NAS BACKUP FILES to local PC**
    copy /y  "Z:\ImportantDataCompressed\*.*" "L:\ImportantDataCompressed\"

**REMOTE BACKUP FILES**
    C:\PROGRA~2\WinSCP\winscp.com /script=C:\PROGRA~2\WinSCP\sync.txt

**Terminate MAPPING **
    net use Z: /delete