Data Backup and Restoring

cu2cool

Limp Gawd
Would you guys consider data back-up is the best way to prepare for a reformat in the future? I like to reformat every once in a while to get rid of all the junk I accumulate in my PC over time. It's always a hassle for me to move everything to another partition and reinstall all my progs over again. Will backing up my data make it a little easier?

Also, when I eventually run two hard disks in RAID 0. I would imagine baking up my data frequently is a wise choice.

You could always run 2 partitions and keep you data by itself. Another option is to just buy a hd to do the data backup too. Personaly I wouldn't keep anything too important on a raid 0 unless you are backing it up often.

swatbat said:
You could always run 2 partitions and keep you data by itself. Another option is to just buy a hd to do the data backup too. Personaly I wouldn't keep anything too important on a raid 0 unless you are backing it up often.
Agreed. You'll get a much more stable system, without any loss in performance if you skip RAID0 and just use two drives. You can keep a ghost image of the primary drive on the secondary, for a quick and easy restore, if needed.

would backing up my data save more time in reformating or just moving all my data files to another partition? Is restoring any good? I feel that even though I restore my computer to a past time there's still gonna be junk files in the C: drive that is not needed, which is why I always do a fresh reformat.

cu2cool said:
would backing up my data save more time in reformating or just moving all my data files to another partition? Is restoring any good? I feel that even though I restore my computer to a past time there's still gonna be junk files in the C: drive that is not needed, which is why I always do a fresh reformat.
That's why you make your restore image right away, after getting all the updates and installing your basic apps.

cu2cool said:

If your data is on a second partition then all you need to do is redo the partition with the os on it. If you are doing it via an image file you can have it reimaged in less then an hour.

Back