Das vs. Deck: please post your experiences

kniah

2[H]4U
I'm thinking about picking up either a Das Silent (with MX browns) or a Deck Legend (with MX clears). Please post your impressions or experiences regarding build quality, ergonomics, customer service, etc. If anyone has tried both and could compare the two that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

I had a Das Pro with Blues and a Deck 82 (their tenkeyless board).

Das: Solid build quality, great typing experience, glossy black finish was a fingerprint magnet, never had to deal with customer service. 8/10 overall rating.

Deck: Best illumination of any keyboard I've ever seen, spacebar was misaligned right out of the box, Cherry black switches were too stiff (not really relevant to you), poor customer service (RMA took nearly 2 months). 10/10 for illumination, 2/10 everything else.

No Das but I have the Legend with clears.
Love it.
Space bar is a bit wobbly but not really a problem for me at all.
Best lighting of any keyboard on the market.

Addon:
I see a couple posters left comments saying the decks have poor build quality and dont last. I am going on 2 years now without one issue. Others I know who have them usually love them.

Last edited:
I have the Das Professional Silent with browns. Love it. My typing has improved, and it's just generally a better keyboard than the garbage old first generation G15 I was using before.

Never used any of the Deck boards.

If you're looking at getting a Deck and plan on using it in anything other than a dark room, make sure you look closely at the pictures of the key caps. The Decks are the ugliest keyboards on the market, and their build quality is poor at best.

I really don't understand how people like those things. I'd get a Das over a Deck every time. The ONLY thing Deck has going for it is the clear switches.

I've noticed that long-term the Decks begin having led problems (just observation); maybe a year or so out on some and the leds are already out.

There's a new contender for backlit mech boards but it looks like only in MX Black: Mionix Zibal

Thanks all. The Mionix Zibal looks interesting but I'm not sure about the black switches. I think I'm going to go with the Das. With their education discount (20%) it puts it at nearly half the price of the Legend. I have a Saitek Eclipse now and find I don't use the back light all that often.

Has anyone ever had to work with Das' customer service?

Thanks all. The Mionix Zibal looks interesting but I'm not sure about the black switches. I think I'm going to go with the Das. With their education discount (20%) it puts it at nearly half the price of the Legend. I have a Saitek Eclipse now and find I don't use the back light all that often.

Has anyone ever had to work with Das' customer service?
Education discount? Details please :)

Been loving my deck frost tactile for a year now with heavy use, excellent build quality. Das with blues is pretty nice, just dont like the glossy casing and the lettering wears off in weeks.

I RMA'd two Das keyboards. Unfortunately I know their trouble ticket system quite well.

I'm on my second DAS as well, my first one was showing some very abnormal key wear after only a few months. They RMA'd it and sent me a new one free of shipping costs. Its a generally good keyboard and the full speed 2.0 usb hub built in is a nice feature that I have used quite a few times.

The one major problem i've had with the DAS is that sometimes you get uneven pressure on the larger keys making it difficult sometimes to actually depress the key. The glossy shell gets dirty pretty quick.

I have the keyboard you're looking at getting, its awesome.

I love the feel, and the thing is heavy and solid. Home intruders beware!

mines sorta dusty atm though :D

I ended up ordering the Das silent with brown switches. UPS just dropped it off a few minutes ago and I am typing on it now. It feels a lot better than the ABS M1 that I had a while back. Not sure how I like the feel compared to my old Saitek Eclipse (gen 1) though. The smooth elongated space key on the Eclipse was nice for comfort as was the wrist wrest. Will post more comments after I spend more time on the Das.

My first mechanical was the ABS M1. Cherry Brown switches are a lot nicer. Enjoy. :)

My first mechanical was the ABS M1. Cherry Brown switches are a lot nicer. Enjoy. :)

I was never all that impressed with the ABS M1 (probably because I used an IBM Model M2 for over 10 years that came with an Aptiva desktop that my family purchased in 1995). That was a great keyboard...still have it and am planning on restoring it someday for a retro build. The Das is starting to grow on me and is a definite improvement over the ABS. Might explain why I am posting more than usual tonight, typing is rather enjoyable with this keyboard!

Back