Das Keyboard or Deck Legend, Seeking Users Advice.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
My G15 is on it's last leg, my paint is wore off, my keys are sticky and some of them just don't work. I'm looking for a new keyboard and ever since I used the model-m's in tech class I've wanted a mechanical keyboard for home.

I'm stuck deciding between the Das Keyboard Pro and the Deck Legend. I was originally looking into those two and the Steelkeys 7G but the short backspace key killed the 7G for me. If anyone has any advice or if anyone has used either of these products which would you recommend. I know Dan_D has had some experience with Deck.

The Deck seems as if it's the best of both worlds because it has nice mechanical keys and the back lighting that I love on my G15. I am worried though because I've heard a few horror stories about decks customer service and overall quality.

The other thing I've thought about it I actually don't think use the backlighting as much as I used too because I know where all my keys are now so why not just get the Das.

Anyways any input is appreciated thank you for reading.

-Matt. :D

82-key "Fire" Déck here, been using it for about four years of gaming and coding with no problems. I replaced the translucent-red outer shell with an opaque black one, and I feel it looks much better that way.

The Das Keyboard seems pretty cool---the different-strength keypresses in particular---but as I understand, it's really freakin' loud, which would drive me crazy.

Well I have the full size Deck 105 key model.Couple things to know.First off the full size keyboards don't come with the steel plate bottom. Its just your standard plastic body though the plastic itself is heavy duty of a quality beyond logitec or Razer's offerings.Second most people are looking for the cherry key switches with a tactile feedback akin to the old IBM model M.Deck keyboards don't deliver this.They do make noise as the keys bottom out when pressed but there is no satisfying click as with most cherry switches.Why Deck chose these no click switches I have no idea.Third and most annoying for me is the space bar.It sits several millimeters below the other keys.If you play and games using a WASD style with your thumb on the space bar it is a HUGE pain.You need to adjust your hand so you can consistently hit the space bar.This decision to alter the space bar on a gaming keyboard has me scratching my head and muttering WTF to myself on a regular basis.Your hands will cramp more using this board.

Well I have the full size Deck 105 key model.Couple things to know.First off the full size keyboards don't come with the steel plate bottom. Its just your standard plastic body though the plastic itself is heavy duty of a quality beyond logitec or Razer's offerings.Second most people are looking for the cherry key switches with a tactile feedback akin to the old IBM model M.Deck keyboards don't deliver this.They do make noise as the keys bottom out when pressed but there is no satisfying click as with most cherry switches.Why Deck chose these no click switches I have no idea.Third and most annoying for me is the space bar.It sits several millimeters below the other keys.If you play and games using a WASD style with your thumb on the space bar it is a HUGE pain.You need to adjust your hand so you can consistently hit the space bar.This decision to alter the space bar on a gaming keyboard has me scratching my head and muttering WTF to myself on a regular basis.Your hands will cramp more using this board.

This may make go ahead and get the Das keyboard. I could always mod is somehow and add lights maybe idk but I don't really even need lighting.

Third and most annoying for me is the space bar. It sits several millimeters below the other keys. If you play and games using a WASD style with your thumb on the space bar it is a HUGE pain. You need to adjust your hand so you can consistently hit the space bar. .... Your hands will cramp more using this board.
I read this and thought: really? So I looked down and, sure enough, the spacebar on my 82-key Déck is lowered, too. Four years of daily use (including WASD gaming, for which I have the replacement keycaps) and not only had I not needed to "adjust" my hand, I hadn't even noticed the difference. Clearly YMMV. Nor have I had any hand-cramping problems. IMHO, anyone having regular hand-cramping problems needs to start doing things away from the computer, not find a different keyboard.

My G15 is on it's last leg, my paint is wore off, my keys are sticky and some of them just don't work. I'm looking for a new keyboard and ever since I used the model-m's in tech class I've wanted a mechanical keyboard for home.

I'm stuck deciding between the Das Keyboard Pro and the Deck Legend. I was originally looking into those two and the Steelkeys 7G but the short backspace key killed the 7G for me. If anyone has any advice or if anyone has used either of these products which would you recommend. I know Dan_D has had some experience with Deck.

The Deck seems as if it's the best of both worlds because it has nice mechanical keys and the back lighting that I love on my G15. I am worried though because I've heard a few horror stories about decks customer service and overall quality.

The other thing I've thought about it I actually don't think use the backlighting as much as I used too because I know where all my keys are now so why not just get the Das.

Anyways any input is appreciated thank you for reading.

-Matt. :D
Message logitech, tell them your first generation g15's keys are wearing, and they will replace it. I promise (Note: If they don't there is nothing I can do. But it's worth a shot, and logitech KNOWS key wearing is a problem)

If you liked the model M then check out http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html. These are sold by the company Unicomp which currently holds the patent for the model M and I've heard they are near the same with a couple of different versions. Also, http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ has some old model M.

awesome. Those Unicomp boards seem to be way more reasonably priced than those "Das Keyboard"s

I might have to get one of those.... or go to my parent's house and rummage around in their attic for an old model M lol

The Das Keyboard seems pretty cool---the different-strength keypresses in particular---but as I understand, it's really freakin' loud, which would drive me crazy.

My roommate had a Das Keyboard and I could here him typing through two closed steel doors. They are realllly loud, seriously. I would always just listen for him typing to see if he was there.

Message logitech, tell them your first generation g15's keys are wearing, and they will replace it. I promise (Note: If they don't there is nothing I can do. But it's worth a shot, and logitech KNOWS key wearing is a problem)

It's in really, really poor shape. I spilt beer in the keyboard and it's got a ciggarette burn in it I doubt logitech would replace it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ocian you just made my day with that site. I am ordering a black Endurapro and with a little luck I will be able to dye the keys black on it. Won't be able to see the key then but how many of us really need to look at the keys?

I got the Endurapro because it has a track point built in. I was about ready to pay over $200 for 10 year old used IBM with track point but the Endurapro is less then half that brand new. I just hope the track point works as well as the IBM laptops I am use to.

But just like the IBM keyboard I was looking at, my biggest problem is going to be getting use to a strait keyboard again. My computer chair is basically a lazyboy arm chair. I sit with my ergonomic on my lap and using the arm rest the keys are angled just right for comfortable typing. Guess I might need to change black to a real computer chair and keyboard tray.

It's in really, really poor shape. I spilt beer in the keyboard and it's got a ciggarette burn in it I doubt logitech would replace it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Logitech is excellent about support; the paint wearing off G15s was a pretty big issue back when they first came out so I doubt they'll give you any trouble. Just saying.

Just tell them about the worn keys. They'll send you a new one without a second thought and probably won't even ask for the old one.

Back