• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DAS for a Sun x4600 M2

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
1,329
so I'm stuck in the 2008 era and deciding that I want to pick up a sun x4600 M2 on ebay on the cheap... only problem is that it has 4 drive bays.

So I'm new to Direct Attached Storage and was looking at a QLogic 2464 card cheap on ebay , but not sure what actual racks are comaptible with it? Is there a recommended rack? If I can't find a deal on a storage rack that already has drives in it, I will probably buy a bunch of 3.5" seagate SATA drives (2-3tb most likely)...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm on a budget so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck... I see a 3u rackable setup for $200 with controller card, but I'm a bit weary of it.

budget for drives and all is around $500-600 for drives, controller and rack (not including the SSD's I plan to buy to put into the x4600 bays).

Or would it just be a better idea to just pick up one of these netapp 10TB arrays with a pile of 750gb drives in them? But don't those eat power?
 
if you want to do FC I use eonstor/infortrend stuff personally but it's very hit and miss on ebay

you set on FC? you can do SAS also

HP MSA60 12 3.5" SAS/SATA drives (about $300 on ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/418408-B21-...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418702f0e6

HP MSA70 25 2.5" SAS/SATA drives (about $300 on ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-STORAGEW...997?pt=US_SAN_Disk_Arrays&hash=item19f4289e05

Rackable 16 bay JBOD (usually around $200 on ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-RACKABL...987694?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item1e8fc3b92e
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top