Darn Corruption!!!

eL c0L0mb1aNo

[H]ard|Gawd
Friends computer gets corruption after format and fresh installation of the beloved Windows.

2500+, NF7-S, Kingston HyperX 2x256MB PC3200, 2x 120 GB Maxtor drives on SATARAID.

The specific error is something like: "Corrupt or unloadable file windows\system32\config\system"

What the heck is going on? This has happened about five times in a row, but they will happen at random times, sometimes one hour after installation, sometimes after one week or so. THe onboard audio is also undetected by Windows which leads us to believe that the motherboard might be crapped. Can anyone help with this problem?

kthx.

the motherboard is an nforce2 right?

have you tried dling the latest drivers for your Sata controller chip?

The windows cd you are using is scratched and it can't find the file because the file isn't on there in the first place because the cdrom cant read it. Or at least that's what's happened to me a few times, but I doubt it's hardware problem (well cd is kinda hardware, but you get what I meant)

~Adam

Ok then it is probably your Hard drive, try it with a different hard drive

I was getting to that, yea you might want to use memtest as well, before switching HD's

~Adam

I would try memtest. I was getting the same problem so I exchanged my ram and everything was perfect afterwards.

Memory has now been ruled out. Friend ran MemTest86 for 3 hours and memory is all good. Any other suggestions before RMAing motherboard? Also, does anyone know the policy for Newegg RMAs on motherboards? How long do you have before you have to send it to manufacturer?

3 hours is not enough to catch an elusive bad bit. You should test 24-72 hrs to be sure. I've seen errors pop up only after a week of looped testing. Yes, I'm that crazy.

Also, you should do an OEM disk scan, or even multiple LLFs. I've also seen a 2nd or 3rd LLF pop up a bad sector or three.

<beep>

change out your HD, the ram o nthe HD could be bad or the HD could be dieing

~Adam

Originally posted by Snugglebear
Data corruption can occur on the CPU, in the memory, on the system bus, the controller, or the drive itself. In the past the usual problems were the processor being overclocked too far, affecting both processor operation and the bus speeds, impacting devices attached to the bus (i.e. your controller). As time progressed the larger problem was flaky controllers and drives. Today, most of the problems are due to either memory errors or drivers for the controllers.

Given that one drive seems good and the other one not, the easiest step is to try futzing with controller drivers. Should that not do anything, put the drive in another machine and try it there. That will isolate the problem pretty quick.

This is from that link, I'd say his list of things could be correct, check out all of them before RMAing anything (unless you ahve time constraints on RMA's)

~Adam

not a good sign, what does it say in the BIOS?
check connectors, jumpers and try swapping out the cable (make it a single master)

if the HDD isnt recognized or is intermittently recognized it IS the most likely culprit (once you eliminate the cable)

Originally posted by phiber
wait i think its because its on the SATA raid on the board.

If I remember correctly PowerMax doesnt work with SATA
(which I assume is what your post meant :p )

Originally posted by Ice Czar
If I remember correctly PowerMax doesnt work with SATA
(which I assume is what your post meant :p )
yeah so what should i do to test the drives? just disconnect from raid and attach to ata133? because they are really ata133 drives... with the abit serillel adaptors..

Back