Dark Fall Online

What sets Darkfall apart from WoW, WAR, ect? Is it going to do anything different?

Is it going to be a complete noobfest (wow) or try and be more older/hardcore?

I'm too lazy to search, too pessissic to care about mmo's anymore. Most now are just clones we already played before. Is there gonna be anything special about this?

What sets Darkfall apart from WoW, WAR, ect? Is it going to do anything different?

Is it going to be a complete noobfest (wow) or try and be more older/hardcore?

I'm too lazy to search, too pessissic to care about mmo's anymore. Most now are just clones we already played before. Is there gonna be anything special about this?

From what I gather there are no levels. Only your skills level up. There are no safe zones. Anything goes and it's full loot. Pretty much a pvp game. But there is pve as well. In a review from a beta tester they said the AI is so smart that you sometimes think its another real player. Also you can't just use your mouse to look around you. If you want to see what is behind you, you literally have to turn around to view. Which means you can be stealth and sneak up on people and shank them :cool:. I recommend you look at this review from a beta tester, http://beta.thenoobcomic.com/df_preview/intro.html

where do you download? i went to link and found a beta signup but nothing happened lol

Why does everyone assume that because they sign up for beta there will immediately be a client download? It is in CLOSED BETA you will get an email if you are selected as a beta tester just like every other beta ever. There is no word on an open beta date at this time, but the developers have stated that everyone will have a chance to try the game before they buy it.

@Visec

If you got to play UO in the early days it will be a lot like that.

If not the key features:
- FFA PVP
- Full loot
- Skill based (no levels/no classes)
- Skill based (player skill is more important than gear)
- FPS style combat
- Seamless world with no instances (technically dungeons are instanced, but only one instance for all players to share or fight over :p)
- Extremely intelligent AI
- Hundreds (possibly a thousand or more) skills and spells to choose from
- Endless carebear QQ to feed on

nice preview
been waiting on this for a long time...
indie dev, not EA or big pocket pushing them, this has potential.

From what I gather there are no levels. Only your skills level up. There are no safe zones. Anything goes and it's full loot. Pretty much a pvp game. But there is pve as well. In a review from a beta tester they said the AI is so smart that you sometimes think its another real player. Also you can't just use your mouse to look around you. If you want to see what is behind you, you literally have to turn around to view. Which means you can be stealth and sneak up on people and shank them :cool:. I recommend you look at this review from a beta tester, http://beta.thenoobcomic.com/df_preview/intro.html

Yuck! If I wanted 1996 graphics I would have bought EQ 1 again. And please don't give me this crap about being beta, it looks like ass. We should expect more at this point in time.

Yuck! If I wanted 1996 graphics I would have bought EQ 1 again. And please don't give me this crap about being beta, it looks like ass. We should expect more at this point in time.

ork-town-shadows.jpg

:confused:

I agree that the graphics of darkfall are not the best out there, but one does need to be realistic. Large scale combat in a seamless world will put a significant burden on hardware. So, we need to compare Darkfall to others in the genre. For example look at how Darkfall stacks up to Warhammer Online. On the other hand I think AoC has superior graphics, but it has some serious gameplay design and implementation issues. As long as one has to choose between gameplay and graphics I will chose gameplay everytime.

man I think thye look pretty good...
plus, the gameplay looks awesome, some stuff we've never seen before in a mmorpg.

I'm in.

I agree, the graphics aren't the best, but it looks like it should run smoothly in large-scale fights. AoC had killer graphics but if you had more than ten people on the screen, say goodbye. WAR's graphics fall somewhere in between DFO and AoC and it still lags like crazy in world pvp. I'd gladly take a hit to image quality to have responsive controls when things get hectic.

The game looks promising, I suppose. The graphics blow, to be sure, but as long as its fun that's all I care about.

I have a feeling that this game will be exactly like Dark and Light. It's promotion budget is very limited, and I just do not see this game fairing well in an already dominated MMO market.

I have a feeling that this game will be exactly like Dark and Light. It's promotion budget is very limited, and I just do not see this game fairing well in an already dominated MMO market.

I have been following this game for a long time, and it seems like the developers do not expect or want Darkfall to be anything more than a niche game. Their business model does not seem to rely on filling dozens of servers in order to be profitable. With that said though there are currently over 200,000 people registered for beta, and almost half of those (myself included) will play Darkfall whether it is a commercial success or not.

I have been following this game for a long time, and it seems like the developers do not expect or want Darkfall to be anything more than a niche game. Their business model does not seem to rely on filling dozens of servers in order to be profitable. With that said though there are currently over 200,000 people registered for beta, and almost half of those (myself included) will play Darkfall whether it is a commercial success or not.

Exactly.
It's oldschool.

If they can pull off and deliver what they say they'd deliver, it'll survive.
A bit like AO survives, it'll have it's followers but will never be a big market hit.

Can't wait for crazy pvp !

I'm going to have to at least give this game a chance. Just for the fact that they have the balls to try a game like that. If they are lucky, they could end up like EVE, which I consider successful (and fun). But damn I hope it isn't as time consuming as EVE is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product. The term implies unwarranted optimism, an as yet unannounced abandonment of a project, or sometimes even deception; that is, it may imply that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility. However, most vaporware would not be considered a hoax since the makers have a genuine intention to create their product, even if it ultimately never materializes. Products with unspecified release dates or long development times that outwardly demonstrate regular, verifiable progress in production are not normally labelled vaporware.

I will believe this until I have it installed and am playing it.

In fairness it's closer to 2002 graphics than 1996. ;)

But honestly, you can't expect Crysis graphics on an indie budget.

I'll be looking forward to checking it out. I've wanted a skill based, sandbox MMO since the fall of SWG, though the open PvP is a turn off. Hopefully I can craft in peace and be left alone. :p Is there any sort of penalty system for the asshat gankers?

In fairness it's closer to 2002 graphics than 1996. ;)

But honestly, you can't expect Crysis graphics on an indie budget.

I'll be looking forward to checking it out. I've wanted a skill based, sandbox MMO since the fall of SWG, though the open PvP is a turn off. Hopefully I can craft in peace and be left alone. :p Is there any sort of penalty system for the asshat gankers?

There is an alignment system similar to UO. Commit a crime or murder someone and you are flagged. Others can then attack you with no alignment penalty. NPCs will react to you based on your alignment and might not talk/trade with you or they might simply call for guards if you have a negative alignment. There is no alignment penalty for actions taken against enemy races/clans.

Back