Danner Pumps @ PetSmart

foolio

Limp Gawd
So, yesterday I call my local PetSmart to see if they have the Danner Mag 3 or 5 in stock, they inform me that they do not have this product and have never heard of it, I informed them that I found it on their website. At this point I am thinking that it is only available on their page but then I remembered reading on here somewhere how people bought it at their local stores. I then noticed that on their webpage it is actually listed as "Supreme Mag Drive Pumps by Danner" . So today I am thinking you know what I am going to stop by and see if they have it under Supreme. I get to the store and I am looking around and one of the attendants comes over and asks if I need any help, I explaine what I am looking for and she says that they never had a product called Supreme and isnt familiar with Danner, after some covo about it it comes out that this is a pond pump and not for aquariums. So she takes me over to the pond section and I see a box that says "PondMaster" with a picture of the Danner pump on it.

See pics

danner1.jpg

danner2.jpg

danner3.jpg

danner4.jpg

Thought this might help anyone looking to stop by the local PetSmart to get the Danner pumps.

I'm going to head over to my local store today and see about this. I've been looking for a second pump for a while, and if it's cheap, it's mine!

It isnt exactly cheap, I got the Mag 5 which is 500 gph w/ a 10.5 foot head. The only other one they had was the 2 which is 250gph and 7 foot head. The 5 cost me $70. so it is about the same as the ehiem 1250. For $70 I am really hoping this pump performs betther than the 1250 I allready have!

In my experience, I have found that pumps are waay overpriced at local aquarium shops.

Marinedepot.com has the danner mag 3 for 39 bucks. Not sure what they have the 5 for.

Originally posted by DocFaustus
In my experience, I have found that pumps are waay overpriced at local aquarium shops.

Marinedepot.com has the danner mag 3 for 39 bucks. Not sure what they have the 5 for.

damn, i didnt see any danner pumps at MD...ill have to look again

If the pump performs well then I have no problem spending that much on it :) If it doesnt well then I take the thing back and try out my ehiem

Originally posted by kronchev
damn, i didnt see any danner pumps at MD...ill have to look again

I am not sure if you have to search by danner or supreme on thier site. but they definately have them, every model too I think.

Shoulda got the 2 or the 3, the five is less efficient in watercooling systems. (I have one myself)

Originally posted by foolio

danner4.jpg

The inlet looks different than my Mag 5, which I ordered from petsmart.com.

Mine has a female thread. I think the kind you have is actually a better design. Try to design your WC setup to use large tubing going to the inlet so you don't restrict it.

What's funny is that Islandia is about 15 minutes from me, but Danner won't sell directly.

Do a search for "supreme" without the quotes. That'll bring up the page that lists all the models.

I found the direct link for the '3' model here.

Myself, I just bought the 3 from a local place, for $51 + tax. Best deal I found is going to Petsmart, and get the Mag 3 for $44.99. Buy some other pet-related item for $5, and you get free shipping. The drive itself will end up costing you $45. There are some coupons out there, but I couldn't find any that would work... PLUS I wanted it by this weekend. If you got 10% off, that'd make the total $40 for the pump (not including the pet-related item, of course).

The inlet looks different than my Mag 5, which I ordered from petsmart.com.

While I was there I was opening the boxes between the 2 and the 5 and I noticed on the 2 that the inlet was a 3/8" id and the outlet was a 1/2" id and that on the 5 I have that they are both 1/2" id

If the 5 turns out to not work so hot I will return it and get the 3 off of their website. I honestly dont think that it will be a problem though

If the 5 turns out to not work so hot

Actually the Mag 5 does work HOT, which is the problem. Take it back and get the Mag 3. You'll get the same performance (head) with less heat added to the loop.

I bought my 2 Mag 5's from marine depot...49.95 each i think or close to it...i'm satisfied...no problems at all!

only reason i didn't get the 3's was a wasn't sure if they could move enough water through my loops to the top of the bongs...now looking back i probably would've been a little happier having a 7 or larger...but it works and i'm not gonna mess with it for awhile...

Originally posted by weapon--
they charged you $70 for a mag 5. OUCH!
Did they at least give you a kiss or any KY jelly with that???

snippage:
Supreme Mag Drive 5 Utility Pump

Our Price: $41.99

Item: ASWO # 16604
Usually ships within 24-48 hours
[/snippage]

da link:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=27409;category_id=2721;pcid1=2181;pcid2=

bad link, but they have the better mag 3 for only $2 less than reefgeek and marine depot...looks like itll come down to whichever ships less.

thanks for all the links guys, ill be using these when I need a pump upgrade (my L20 is fine for now)

Originally posted by fubar569
I bought my 2 Mag 5's from marine depot...49.95 each i think or close to it...i'm satisfied...no problems at all!

only reason i didn't get the 3's was a wasn't sure if they could move enough water through my loops to the top of the bongs...now looking back i probably would've been a little happier having a 7 or larger...but it works and i'm not gonna mess with it for awhile...

3 pushes the same head as a 5 but uses less power (so less heat)

3 pushes the same head as a 5 but uses less power (so less heat)

I am pretty sure this has been proven by many people. The 3 is a slightly better choice for standard cooling setups because the 5 does infact put a little extra heat into the system. Cathar was one of those people.

Does anyone have a comparison of the Mag 3 and Mag 5 pumps in a 3 waterblock (CPU, NB, and VidCard) and heatercore setup? I got the 5 also because I figured it would work better with the extra resistance, havent had a chance to check it yet though.

Wow that Mag5 is different then mine (which I got for $47 new/shipped Online), it has the 1/2in pipe fitting built into the unit. Mine had one female and one male threaded connectors. Had to buy the barbs seperate. Interesting!

I am pretty sure this has been proven by many people. The 3 is a slightly better choice for standard cooling setups because the 5 does infact put a little extra heat into the system. Cathar was one of those people.

Three pushes the same head, but head is just the pumps ability vs. gravity. So unless your system is up in the air, it's not going to make a whole lotta' difference. It is not the distance the pump can push (as many seem to think). However, if your system is up in the air (for whatever reason .. hot air rises), the Mag5 would push a lot more water (at a higher flow rate) over the Mag3.

It all depends on the system though. 300gph is quite fine for the regular system. I on the other hand went with a unique design, two radiators (1heatercore/1radiator), 3 blocks, and a TEC unit. So the higher flow-rate helps when the Y-Split comes.

Originally posted by Spidey329
Three pushes the same head, but head is just the pumps ability vs. gravity. So unless your system is up in the air, it's not going to make a whole lotta' difference. It is not the distance the pump can push (as many seem to think). However, if your system is up in the air (for whatever reason .. hot air rises), the Mag5 would push a lot more water (at a higher flow rate) over the Mag3.

and if you read other threads and forums youd know that greater head is also more force and therefor better cooling.

Actually my wc setup up is higher than my block, its going to be sitting ontop of my case in a fudin itx shuttle case, so I am not too worried about heatas it is going to be routed pretty well.

It all depends on the system though. 300gph is quite fine for the regular system. I on the other hand went with a unique design, two radiators (1heatercore/1radiator), 3 blocks, and a TEC unit. So the higher flow-rate helps when the Y-Split comes.

No, more head means the pump will push more gph through systems at the same level of resistance (head height of the system). The pump will never push 300 gph through a watercooling system because of the resistance of the system.

(just trying to explain it a different way then kronchev)

Actually my wc setup up is higher than my block, its going to be sitting ontop of my case in a fudin itx shuttle case, so I am not too worried about heatas it is going to be routed pretty well.

It doesn't matter where your watercooling setup is. The difference in height doesn't matter because it's a closed loop. The only variable is the small difference in tubing length, but that's pretty negligible.

and if you read other threads and forums youd know that greater head is also more force and therefor better cooling.

Thanks for agreeing, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said :)

Head doesn't make a difference if the system is on the ground. The only time head would make a difference is when the system is up in the air, or has a lotta' resistence in the pipes. IF there is resistence, a Mag5 WILL push more water through that resistence than a Mag3.

"General power" of the pump can be decided by the GPH rate. Naturally, water moving at 500gph will have more force than 300gph. So when it gets to the max height (head) of 10.5, the Mag5 will surpass the Mag3 in flow-rate and therefore cooling ability.

The only advantage the Mag3 has over the Mag5 is the less heat produced. But in a system like mine, that is all gone by the time it reaches the blocks. So comparing the Mag3 and Mag5 with eachother is rather out there. It all depends on the persons setup.

No, more head means the pump will push more gph through systems at the same level of restistance resistance (head height of the system). The pump will never push 300 gph through a watercooling system because of the resistance of the system.

Head is meant for gravity. Gravity is natural resistence, resistence comes from many forms. So yes, if you have resistence in the pipes, head will play a roll. But if you have a Mag5 you will get a better flow rate through that resistence.

Think of it this way. Two weight lifters can both lift 500lbs of weight. But one can only do one rep, the other can do 10reps.

It doesn't matter how long your hose is those. You could pump water through a 100ft of tubing if you so like. As long as it's even with the pump (no resistence), it's going to produce a high flow rate.

Thanks for agreeing, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said :)

Head doesn't make a difference if the system is on the ground. The only time head would make a difference is when the system is up in the air, or has a lotta' resistence in the pipes. IF there is resistence, a Mag5 WILL push more water through that resistence than a Mag3.

"General power" of the pump can be decided by the GPH rate. Naturally, water moving at 500gph will have more force than 300gph. So when it gets to the max height (head) of 10.5, the Mag5 will surpass the Mag3 in flow-rate and therefore cooling ability.

The only advantage the Mag3 has over the Mag5 is the less heat produced. But in a system like mine, that is all gone by the time it reaches the blocks. So comparing the Mag3 and Mag5 with eachother is rather out there. It all depends on the persons setup.

WRONG, this is one of the main misconceptions about pumps I see here. Go back up and read my response to your earlier post.

The usefulness of pumps to us isn't decided by their gph at 0' of head, it's decided by their gph at the head height of the system we're using them in.

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
WRONG, this is one of the main misconceptions about pumps I see here. Go back up and read my response to your earlier post.

The usefulness of pumps to us isn't decided by their gph at 0' of head, it's decided by their gph at the head height of the system we're using them in.

I'd like to see your tests on this subject then. Because I'm gonna have to disagree. According to Danner, a Mag5 will pump MORE flow at the same head height as the Mag3.

In a closed loop, or even system, the pump CAN produce a high flow rate with long pipes.

So head decides it's ability against gravity, or say a weight. If these pumps were blasting against a weight, they'd both be able to push that weight, however the one with the higher-flow will be able to push that weight faster.

I honestly don't see where/why your arguing with me on this. We're debating the Mag5 vs. Mag3. The Mag5 is the more powerful pump, therefore (according to Danners flow charts), if you pump water against a force equal to that of a 1-10ft high tube, you'd be pushing MORE water with the Mag5. Just because it maxes at 10.5, doesn't mean it's not more powerful, as it's able to push more flow at that height.

The common misconception is that "head" is equal to the tubing. So 10ft of head is 10ft of tubing. Which it is not. "Head" is equal to resistence, these pumps were designed for ponds/aqua use, so "head" would be equal to gravity (ala la' resistence).

See Flow Chart: http://www.marineaquariumsolutions.com/products/pumps-mag.shtml#flow

So in closure, I say we all give him his thread back.

<quote>Foolio: How do you like the Mag5?</quote>

Love it.
I'm thinking of submerging it in a seperate water tank to counter-act the extra heat it produces. But we'll see.

http://www.marineaquariumsolutions.com/products/pumps-mag.shtml#flow

this link show somethign interesting, it seems that once you reach 6 feet, the mag 5 and the mag 3 pump about the same damm amount of water...

my system has 4.5 feet of clearflex in it, then consider an tank, and a RAD...plus the blocks. Id say it all equals well past 6 feet..

So whats the point of the MAG5? @ 6+ feet the mag3 is only off by a few GPH...that nothing when you thing about power saved and how much less heat the mag3 makes...

When you run a closed loop system, there is no such thing as an effect from gravity.

For example: say you have a 50 foot piece of hose, one end hooked to the inlet of the pump, the other end the outlet of the pump. The hose is completely filled with water so there is no air pockets in the loop anywhere.

Lay the hose out across your flat lawn and the pump will move the water. Now grab the loop at the farthest point from the pump and suspend it in the air (approx 25 feet up). The pump will still have the exact flowrate as before, assuming you have not added any extra obsticles like sharp angles.

By closing the loop gravity will cancel itself out. This happens because on the inlet side of the pump you have about 25 feet of force pushing down helping the pump. That is exactly the amount of force pushing on the outlet side of the pump. The pump gets the benifit that for every bit of water it pulls in, it gets to push out the other side. That make sence?

Now why is head pressure important? Because in 50 feet of hose there is a lot of water. That in turn creates lots of resistance. The head pressure, or force, is needed to maintain flowrate.

question....

370GPH inline Via Aqua Pump

any good?

cuz i can get one for relatiyl cheap

Originally posted by ex247
question....

370GPH inline Via Aqua Pump

any good?

cuz i can get one for relatiyl cheap

vias are known to either die suddenly or to get really, really noisy suddenly. dont cheap out for a crap pump.

i was just wondering.... thank you...

im prolly gonna get a danner, but is there anything else i shoudl look at better/ quieter than the danner?

I had the Ehiem 1250, it was what everyone and their friends brothers mother's suggested. I was not impressed at all, I could not get a good flow out of that pump any way I tried it, just my experiance. I am sure that people have had great experiances with that pump.

I have also had the hydor L30, I only had it for a brief time inbetween my old school swiftech pump and my ehiem. Honestly it performed better than my ehiem did, in my system, but I gave it to my neighbor and about 2 months later it died on him and his pelt melted the clearflex and his system went *spark* *spark* *fzzzz* .

So now to see how the danner performs, hopefully this will be the last stop for me for a while on pumps :)

On a side note, I just fineshed drilling out the pop rivets on my shuttle cases interior frame, gonna go cut the frame into peices and rivet back in what I need, just waiting on my rad to get here so I can start on the bulk of the work cutting out the spot for the rad and mounting it :) ohh I cant wait

Originally posted by ex247
i was just wondering.... thank you...

im prolly gonna get a danner, but is there anything else i shoudl look at better/ quieter than the danner?

danners pretty much the up and rising best pump maker.

When you run a closed loop system, there is no such thing as an effect from gravity.

For example: say you have a 50 foot piece of hose, one end hooked to the inlet of the pump, the other end the outlet of the pump. The hose is completely filled with water so there is no air pockets in the loop anywhere.

Lay the hose out across your flat lawn and the pump will move the water. Now grab the loop at the farthest point from the pump and suspend it in the air (approx 25 feet up). The pump will still have the exact flowrate as before, assuming you have not added any extra obsticles like sharp angles.

By closing the loop gravity will cancel itself out. This happens because on the inlet side of the pump you have about 25 feet of force pushing down helping the pump. That is exactly the amount of force pushing on the outlet side of the pump. The pump gets the benifit that for every bit of water it pulls in, it gets to push out the other side. That make sence?

Now why is head pressure important? Because in 50 feet of hose there is a lot of water. That in turn creates lots of resistance. The head pressure, or force, is needed to maintain flowrate.

I had allway thought that, but never really put it to words, nice dude makes perfect sence

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
http://www.marineaquariumsolutions.com/products/pumps-mag.shtml#flow

this link show somethign interesting, it seems that once you reach 6 feet, the mag 5 and the mag 3 pump about the same damm amount of water...

my system has 4.5 feet of clearflex in it, then consider an tank, and a RAD...plus the blocks. Id say it all equals well past 6 feet..

So whats the point of the MAG5? @ 6+ feet the mag3 is only off by a few GPH...that nothing when you thing about power saved and how much less heat the mag3 makes...

Indeed. Some people are just wowed by specs. The Mag 3 is superior for water cooling.

Man, I'm glad as hell to hear all this good stuff about the Mag 3. Makes me happy that I went with it for my system I'm putting together tonight.

Originally posted by aldamon
The Mag 3 is superior for water cooling.

Does anyone have both that can actually show this? Not to flame, but it seems everyone is quoting a bunch of canned numbers...

Back