Dangers of overclocking

Hello, I got an evga 6800GT, I am getting either the new 1900XTX or a 7800GT/GTX in about a month so I am playing around with overclocking my 6800GT. Right now I got it to 425 1.1 and I am wondering is heat the only thing I got to worry about when overclocking? my temps are fine I think I am idleing at 46c and under load it stays around 60 and lower, does that mean I am safe or are there unseen problems with overclocking?

425/1.1 was about the max of my old 6800GT. Aside from what seems to be random stuttering in games (likely due to power regulation problems at high speeds on the GT PCB) there's not much harm that can be done. As long as temps are kept in check and voltage hasn't been modded, I don't think it will adversely effect the card.

As for temps, 60C doesn't sound right for a 6800GT under load at 425Mhz core using stock cooling. Since the core cools very quickly, Alt+Tabbing out of a game won't work for checking temps. Download and run RTHDRIBL (use Google) in a large window and check temps then. It'll probably be in the high 70's to 80's.

OK, I ran that rhtblsomthingerother, I ran it full screen at 640x480 for about 30-40 minutes and periodically checked the temps with RivaTuner and it stayed pretty much at 62 tops, it hit 63 on and off.
The other day I pulled my zalman off it and cleaned off the "other" brand T.I.M. and put some Antec Formula 5 silver compound on the GPU, I really just did it all just to see what the card can do.
So ya think it is gunna do OK?

I think it is better to use ATiTool for max heat. That really ups the heat on my GTX. You can also check in a game. If you see artifacting or if your game locks up then lower the overclock.

Fistandantilis said:
The other day I pulled my zalman off it and cleaned off the "other" brand T.I.M. and put some Antec Formula 5 silver compound on the GPU, I really just did it all just to see what the card can do.

Ok there's an aftermarket cooler on the GT. With such good temps you should be ok and may even be able to step it up a bit. 425 is a great OC for this card though.

I ran that tester again and after about 15 minutes some of the background flickered a few times, it didnt lock up though. oh well...

Back