dangerden - quality control issues

xdkimx

Limp Gawd
is it just me or does dangerden have some serious quality control issues. i just got a **$85** thermol chill radiator and it looks like a dog shit it out. it must have sat in a pond for a year or so with algae and rust attached to it. i also got a maze 4 from that which doesnt look as bad but im sure its been used since the plastic and copper plating looks scratched up

anyone else get the same problems with DDen?

well im glad things worked out for u 2, but me personally, i would never buy anything from them again :mad:

Yeah, I got a full system from them for a customer's PC and it was beautiful. I'd get ahold of them and complain, make them rectify it.

I purchased many of my WC goods from DD...I've never heard of anything even approaching whats happened to you. Did you buy them them directly from DD? or another retailer selling DD products?

Did you buy it direct or from someone else? Maybe they looked at the crap Swiftech was shipping and decided what was good for the goose was good for the gander. ;)

id post some pics but i dont have a digi camera :( for now just imagine a brown thermochill radiator looking like its ready to crumble -.-

I'd send it back for a new one if you ordered from the DD site, but you still haven't told use where you got the rad & block

I thought there are only two places to get Thermochill rads, dangerden and thermochill.......

have you talked to DD about this? I've ordered quite a bit from them without any issues. Also it seems rather harsh to condem them like this would seeing what their CS department can do for you.

My order from them (TDX, Maze4 Acetal, BIP2, Fillport, Eheim 1048) was spotless when I got it. No issues whatsoever.

i had some issues with them, first shipment they forgot my radiator and my res
once i got those 2 parts in my mag 12 pump failed they replaced it for free then that mag 12 pump failed after a week then i finally said forget the mag pumps and send me a d5 an so far so good its been running about 2 months
i also got a maze 4 gpu and cpu block both of which were in excellent condition

If your radiator's condition is really that poor and the waterblock is that scratched (no pics, no answer to where you got the parts yet...questionable I'd say) then DD surely owes you an apology and some new equipment. My experiences with DD have been quite positive and it seems that the general consensus in the community is that they do good work. I would definitely call them and make sure you get the new parts you payed for and on top of that let them know that shipping out a radiator in that condition is not acceptable. (The waterblock, however, might be normal. The copper plating is ground down pretty well and you might be mistaking the grinding for scratches, ditto on the plastic)

on my maze 4-1 copper top CPU block and my maze 4-1 GPU block the overall quality was pretty good. i could see the machining marks on everything, since DD does not lap their stuff, but the overall quality seemed to be uite good.

maybe you have bad luck, maybe DD has slipped in their manufacturing. unless you call and geta response for DD or the retialer that you purchased from: i don't know if this a case of bad luck or bad product support.

if you talk to them, and they make it right for you, i understand some degree of frustration.....but nobody is perfect, and they really do seem to try and support the community.

eh.. dangerden qc issue + thermochill rad = dangerden store? i dont see any other way it can add up to be honest lol

well n e ways i contacted them around afternoon today and they didnt respond, so im hoping theyll get back to me on monday

xdkimx said:
eh.. dangerden qc issue + thermochill rad = dangerden store? i dont see any other way it can add up to be honest lol

well n e ways i contacted them around afternoon today and they didnt respond, so im hoping theyll get back to me on monday

Well since they are on the Pacific Coast (PST) what time was YOUR afternoon call. Also how about a pic? Please produce some evidence, otherwise good luck in your endeavours.

alright i got my hands on a camera, sry if this pic looks a bit crappy :p

edit: the poor craftsmenship wouldnt show up on the block with a camera but the blocks not too bad n e ways the main problem was with the radiator looking like this

Looks to me like it was exposed to moisture or high humidity. If it was in a box perhaps they never saw the condition and just packed and shipped it. They are a top notch bunch of people and I am sure they will make it right for you I have ordered 50+ times from them other than an occasional wait for shipping all has been fine.

OMG, I would be pissed too bro. Surely they'll be able to do something about that.

It just looks like some of the paint wore away and you are seeing the copper fins....

Under the paint and stuff that's how they look, but the paint shouldn't be coming off like that. Send them an email or give them a call with a link to that picture and I think they'll be very willing to rectify the situation.

Saw the pic. So what's the problem? They all look like that from that angle no matter who made them. If they were to spray enough paint in there to cover everything there wouldn't be enough space for air flow.

i don't konw....the blue-green stuff that i see inside the tanks and where the flat tubes connect to the plenums looks corroded to me.......

yeah, you should seem some copper inside of the fins, like other people have said, however i don't like the looks of those joins.

your problem is you bought the thermo chill and not a BIX

take a good hard look here... you can see that the rad they pictured on there web site has some of the same problems... you can tell they tryed to cherry pick the angle for the best shot...

link
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=203&cat=76&page=1
better pic
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product_image.php?imageid=374

oh hell heres the same pic blown up and ran thought an opengl filter

rad.jpg

they may exchange it for a different one, but it may not be that different ...

thore

uh.. i cant see any resemblance between that pic and mine (quality wise obviously its the same rad), and the problem is thats not copper its rust just so u know, well im glad at least some of u agree theres something wrong with this rad

The problems mentioned aren't anything to do with Danger Den themselves - they are a reseller for HWLabs and Thermochill products. It seems the problem lies on their side.

I do however notice that HWLabs radiators have pretty poor quality paint, I end up chipping them to bits before putting them to good use lol.

xdkimx said:
uh.. i cant see any resemblance between that pic and mine (quality wise obviously its the same rad), and the problem is thats not copper its rust just so u know, well im glad at least some of u agree theres something wrong with this rad

Seeing as copper doesn't rust I have a hard time believing you have rust on your fins....

Copper can oxidize, which would give you a greenish tint, but that should be pretty easy to get out with some brasso or something (not sure of the correct solvent to use exactly)

alright my mistake, its oxidizing, but either way that wasnt the point i was trying to prove, why am i being sent an "oxidizing" radiator anyways, it should be brand new, imo this crap isnt worth even half its price

man, something about nit picking people also get on my nerves, u dont live long enough to nit pick every god damn thing in life

xdkimx said:
alright my mistake, its oxidizing, but either way that wasnt the point i was trying to prove, why am i being sent an "oxidizing" radiator anyways, it should be brand new, imo this crap isnt worth even half its price
my black ice rads were also flawed when i got them. i wasn't happy about it then, and i'm still not.

before you damn thermochill, i think that the problems you are seeing on that rad could well be from the way in which dangerden stored it.

the visable copper in the central area is probably typical, and i don't see much wrong with that. the corrosion at either end is another matter. i think that you should contact both dangerden and thermochill and see if they will fix you up. you might want to PM marci as well, to see if he has anything to say about the condition of your rad. he might be able to lend you a hand, if you end up having to deal with thermochill.

before you get TOO bent out of shape, see if the companies involved will make things right.

xdkimx said:

man, something about nit picking people also get on my nerves, u dont live long enough to nit pick every god damn thing in life

Have you contacted customer service yet? Unless you never accept apologies, or the fact that mistakes are made, you have no reason not to. Griping about it here is not helping your cause...

Photo isn't close enough or clear enough to deduce anything useful.

Should be able to see copper of fins from an angle. You'll see it more than on any other rad as fin density is so low.

Tank internals - you're seeing the core endplate which is solderdipped...

Need better photos basically.

xdkimx said:

When copper oxidizes it turns green, not a rust color. Unless your fins are green it isn't oxidizing either. I was trying to make a point that it isn't rusting and that nothing is wrong with it, you just expected it to be perfectly black, and you see copper and mistake it for rust.

As Marci (from Thermochill) said the pictures aren't good enough to tell much else.

ok dangerden got back to me and said theyll see whats up, i also apoligize for the last post i guess i was a bit irritated at this whole thing :p

ill post back after they send me the replacement

wow this company is one of the most irresponsible companies iv had to deal with, after sending this about 2 weeks ago i havent recieved any word until recently when i called them, iv figured it was already on the way back but i guess that wasnt the case, my parts just sat there in the shop. Also when i called the rma woman first gives all sorts of excuses like i packaged it wrong or the one i got just wasnt painted (uh shouldnt they re-send me a painted one then :confused: ? Oh yeah and after i call i get another email from some smartass saying itll be pointless sending me another one and that itll just be inconvenient for (THEM) (wow im sorry i didnt know)

sorry for my rant, i just want to warn people not to be caught up in the hype of this company and about what kind of people are on the other side when ordering from them. :)

If they've got your parts and your money they owe you either one or the other back. Call the Better Business Bureau and report them if they don't replace one or the other.

I'll qualify this by pointing out that I'm one of the low-flow crowd, still... keep reading...

I've ordered close to $1000 of random parts from DD directly or through secondary merchants. The items have always shown up wonderfully packed with great quality control (Okay, not as well as German gear, but when you're paying for gold you expect it to be shipped like gold). DD tend to be quality items when it leaves the warehouse... what a secondary reseller does with it... well, there's no point calling DD about that.

The pic really should have been closer... can't tell if it's patina (oxidization) or mold/gunk.

When did you write the letter? When you were pissed? How pissed were you when you called the RMA lady? I've worked enough customer support/tech service/etc to be able to tell you that if you call and start saying "you people..." or calling something "crap" or making excuses like "I'm not yelling at you..." that you're not going to get shit for your troubles.

Here's what you do:

#1: Call calm (have a beer (one) or get a BJ, or whatever you do to relax)
#2: Call the support line/RMA line/customer service line FROM THE COMPANY YOU ACTUALLY PURCHASED FROM.
#3: Explain (and use something along these words, in a pleasant voice) that you've contacted them previously regarding an issue with an item you recieved that you were less than satisfied with, you'd now like to speak to a customer service/support supervisor regarding resolving this matter. Avoid words like "you people...", "crap", "lawsuit", etc.
#4: Politely explain to the supervisor that you've recently returned an item you were not satisfied with, you understand it was an oversight and not representative of how they usually conduct business, you hope to resolve this matter soon, and you look forward to doing business with them in the future (even if you don't).
#5: Provide shipping instructions and contact info. You're out the shipping charges for RMA/to send it back to them (chalk it up to Internet ordering, it happens).
#6: Wait longer than usual for USPS slow-ass ground shipping.

If you're at all diplomatic about it, you'll have it taken care of in no time.

Back