Danger Den going to BSPP?

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
I just found a post last night over in the UK on the bit-tech.net forum which shows a new fitting from DD called "The Perfect Seal." The pic shows a short stubby hose barb with 1/4 BSPP threads on it. However, from the pic it appears that they are not using a standard BSPP hose barb in that you can see the O-ring from the side of the block.

Not sure if they are tapping their blocks for BSPP or some kind of universal thread that will accomodate BSPP and their NPS fittings. I queried DD last night to see when these fittings will be available for sale here in the USA and I am waiting for a reply.

This new hose barb will allow those who go big bore to be able to use a good many more waterblocks and accessories from European companies that use G 1/4 threads. :D

i thought that they went to O-ring sealed barbs when they started making the TDX and RBX..........

or are you saying that it's the thread itself that they have changed?

DFI Daishi said:
i thought that they went to O-ring sealed barbs when they started making the TDX and RBX..........

or are you saying that it's the thread itself that they have changed?

They are going to actual BSPP threads on these fittings/blocks they are shipping to Europe and possibly elsewhere.

Funny, I just got a full DD setup two days ago and everything had those fittings.

VinsWCGearrevised.jpg

Except the rad that is

Interesting that they are shipping those same blocks and barbs into the USA (I assume you live here in North America) market without telling anyone. Not suprised about the radiator having NPT threads as they probably have a shitload of NPT radiators in stock from HWL. However, I would imagine that even the radiators will soon be coming with BSPP threads as HWL already makes that thread class for all markets outside North America.

Yeah I'm in the U.S. and funnily the barbs for the rad have the same thread as the other barbs (zero taper, o-ring) but the barb end is still the old school type with the big tapered flange before the land.

I don't know why they use 2 different styles of barbs when the threads are all the same.

And I'm sure they're not NPT barbs, I was a hydraulic tech. for 2 years and I've seen more NPT fittings than I ever wanted to.

Got a reply from Danger Den and they are definitely in the process of completely changing over to the BSPP thread spec. They will not make an official announcement until they are at 100% shipping of the new thread spec. However, it would behoove anyone who is buying a DD product right now to inquire as to what they are getting. Screwing a NPT thread into a BSPP block is not suggested. :eek:

Well I have to hand a big set of PROPS to Danger Den for their foresight in seeing that BSPP is the way to go for us watercoolers. This really opens up a lot of interesting possibilties as far as I am concerned. I may be willing to try out some DD blocks now in my two watercooled rigs I have. The real money maker for DD is that this change gives them instant penetration into previously problematic markets like Europe and the UK where NPT is looked upon with great disdain. And of course those of us here in the USA can now easily use push-fits and compression fittings on Danger Den blocks. :D

Top Nurse said:
Well I have to hand a big set of PROPS to Danger Den for their foresight in seeing that BSPP is the way to go for us watercoolers. This really opens up a lot of interesting possibilties as far as I am concerned. I may be willing to try out some DD blocks now in my two watercooled rigs I have.

And then, my friends, hell frooze over.

j/k :p

Top Nurse said:
Got a reply from Danger Den and they are definitely in the process of completely changing over to the BSPP thread spec. They will not make an official announcement until they are at 100% shipping of the new thread spec. However, it would behoove anyone who is buying a DD product right now to inquire as to what they are getting. Screwing a NPT thread into a BSPP block is not suggested. :eek:

Well I have to hand a big set of PROPS to Danger Den for their foresight in seeing that BSPP is the way to go for us watercoolers. This really opens up a lot of interesting possibilties as far as I am concerned. I may be willing to try out some DD blocks now in my two watercooled rigs I have. The real money maker for DD is that this change gives them instant penetration into previously problematic markets like Europe and the UK where NPT is looked upon with great disdain. And of course those of us here in the USA can now easily use push-fits and compression fittings on Danger Den blocks. :D
Arghhh!!! DangerDen does NOT use NPT. The old barbs (High flow barbs like what I have) are a parralel thread sealed with an O-ring. Just had to clarify that before people started believing you, TN :p

Top Nurse said:
This really opens up a lot of interesting possibilties as far as I am concerned. I may be willing to try out some DD blocks now in my two watercooled rigs I have. The real money maker for DD is that this change gives them instant penetration into previously problematic markets like Europe and the UK where NPT is looked upon with great disdain. And of course those of us here in the USA can now easily use push-fits and compression fittings on Danger Den blocks. :D
it's good to hear that you wold be willing ot give them shot, however i really don't see why you would: the blocks are thoroughly reviewed, and you can pretty accurately predict how well they're going to do in conjunction with your aquastream. that is to say, they're not going to beat out your much loved A-C gear with such a teeny pump. they will probably perform even perform worse than A-C at those flow rates.

and you're the one who USUALLY notes when others are not matching similar flowing equipment. :)

DFI Daishi said:
it's good to hear that you wold be willing ot give them shot, however i really don't see why you would: the blocks are thoroughly reviewed, and you can pretty accurately predict how well they're going to do in conjunction with your aquastream. that is to say, they're not going to beat out your much loved A-C gear with such a teeny pump. they will probably perform even perform worse than A-C at those flow rates.

and you're the one who USUALLY notes when others are not matching similar flowing equipment. :)

Agreed, the TDX--and other DD blocks for that matter--are not designed for use with an Eheim 1048 in mind. They are one of the few blocks left that really depends upon decent flow. I think that changing the threads to something more compatible is nice. I would like to see a new CPU block from DD though. The TDX/RBX design has been out for awhile now, and it is starting to show its age to newer blocks like the Storm and the MP-05.

penguin said:
Arghhh!!! DangerDen does NOT use NPT. The old barbs (High flow barbs like what I have) are a parralel thread sealed with an O-ring. Just had to clarify that before people started believing you, TN :p

IIRC they used to use NPT and there are blocks out there that have those threads in them. They are currently phasing out a bastard thread they called NPS (National Pipe Straight), but they are rapidly changing over to BSPP (British Standard Parallel Pipe) threads. The two threads are different and IIRC screwing a BSPP fitting into a NPS thread does not always work correctly. So yes I stand corrected on what thread spec they are phasing out. ;)

Here is a pic:

DDPerfectSeal1.jpg

Erasmus354 said:
Agreed, the TDX--and other DD blocks for that matter--are not designed for use with an Eheim 1048 in mind. They are one of the few blocks left that really depends upon decent flow. I think that changing the threads to something more compatible is nice. I would like to see a new CPU block from DD though. The TDX/RBX design has been out for awhile now, and it is starting to show its age to newer blocks like the Storm and the MP-05.
I protest! My TDX does VERY well with my 1048! It's the 1046 (Aquastream) that they didn't have in mind :D

penguin said:
I protest! My TDX does VERY well with my 1048! It's the 1046 (Aquastream) that they didn't have in mind :D

If your 1048 works well then my Aquastream will easily best what you are getting. :D

Top Nurse said:
If your 1048 works well then my Aquastream will easily best what you are getting. :D
Hehe... I would love to buy an AS, but alas, before I could afford that, I'd buy a D5 and go 1/2" (From my current 3/8") and still have money left to spend ;)

The most reliable fitting to date. Uses an O-Ring to seal. Large ID bore for high flow and lower pressure drop compared to other fittings.Uses a 9/16 straight thread with O-Ring Seal.

Bio-Hazard said:
The most reliable fitting to date. Uses an O-Ring to seal. Large ID bore for high flow and lower pressure drop compared to other fittings.Uses a 9/16 straight thread with O-Ring Seal.

Which fitting are you referring to? The one that DD is deep-sixing or their BSPP fittings? :D

oooo this is interesting... i'd like to read more / watch this pan out / see some new systems pop up with a nice mix...

i'd also like them to use a shorter screw thing for the X plate o the back of the cads... cuz in sli, ITS A BITCH

Top Nurse said:
Which fitting are you referring to? The one that DD is deep-sixing or their BSPP fittings? :D
The only one listed on their offical site............... :D

And that means these:

sli_hardware2b_800w.jpg

OR this type, they use the same thread.

nv78_baseview.jpg

That is unless you have read/ have in writing that something has changed.

Isn't rumor control great, it changes products even before the company thinks about it.

Top pic is new 1/4" BSPP fitting. Bottom pic are regular 9/16-18 UNF Threaded HiFlow fittings that they've been using for a while now, and are replacing with those shown in the top pic.

Bio-Hazard said:
That is unless you have read/ have in writing that something has changed.

Actually I do have something in writing, but I am not about to release it seeing how it was e-mail. Danger Den will announce it when they feel the time is right. However, as someone else who posted a pic here has stated the setup they got from DD had the new fiitings on everything except the radiator. Isn't it great being an ostrich? :p

Top Nurse said:
Actually I do have something in writing, but I am not about to release it seeing how it was e-mail. Danger Den will announce it when they feel the time is right. However, as someone else who posted a pic here has stated the setup they got from DD had the new fiitings on everything except the radiator. Isn't it great being an ostrich? :p
Better than having your head up something else............... :eek:

Read the post right above your's ..................... :p

Talk about your head being buried deep in something.................. :D

DFI Daishi said:

But not everyone that uses Aqua Computer and other small bore gear is using an Aquastream or is even "low flow". I'm about to switch to a Laing DDC for my 8mm ID setup.

I was never a fan of barbs, so this will make me more interested in some of DD's stuff, which I do like. I prefer compression fittings with Tygon hose.

I really hope the low profile acetal top I just ordered on the 5th comes with the high flow fittings, instead of the 1/4" bspp fittings, as that's what I'd ordered.

I dont know maby its just me but the o-ring on them fittings dont look like its going to give a good seal at all. due to the fact that there is no groove to seat and smush the o-ring when tighting it down i can see it poping out of place.

Bevous said:
Better than having your head up something else............... :eek:

Read the post right above your's ..................... :p

Talk about your head being buried deep in something.................. :D

Well if your RTFT you will see that yours is there as well. :D

Pooky said:
But not everyone that uses Aqua Computer and other small bore gear is using an Aquastream or is even "low flow". I'm about to switch to a Laing DDC for my 8mm ID setup.

I was never a fan of barbs, so this will make me more interested in some of DD's stuff, which I do like. I prefer compression fittings with Tygon hose.

QFT

I don't know where everyone gets this weird idea that if you use AC products you are low flow. :confused: Some people are using AC products with High flow systems.

Timmee said:
I really hope the low profile acetal top I just ordered on the 5th comes with the high flow fittings, instead of the 1/4" bspp fittings, as that's what I'd ordered.

Well if you look into the specifics of the numbers you are throwing around you will realize that the internal bore size of the fittings hasn't changed. The only thing that changed was the OAL and the thread spec. Perhaps it would benefit you to Google BSPP or go to the first post of the New AC thread and avail yourself of some of the fittings links. :)

Derrick70 said:
I dont know maby its just me but the o-ring on them fittings dont look like its going to give a good seal at all. due to the fact that there is no groove to seat and smush the o-ring when tighting it down i can see it poping out of place.

I thought the same thing, but the important issue here is that if you have a BSPP threaded block you can use anybody's fittings that are to the BSPP thread spec. Don't be too suprised if you can buy Legris fittings directly from Danger Den some time soon.

Top Nurse said:
Well if your RTFT you will see that yours is there as well. :D
Nope, your's is so far up that's all you be talking.................. :D

Pooky said:

well, that post was directed quite specifically at one particuar person, who is running an aquastream pump and is therefore running low flow.

so, you're going to switch to a laing DDC, and at that point you will not be low flow. cool. i would tend to say that the DDC is moderate flow, as opposed to high flow, per se, but all the same it's a great little pump, and i wish you luck with it.

as for moving over to a DD block while still using an aquastream.......whatever makes you happy? i just don't see the gain to it, unless you really do like the way that it looks better than the A-C blocks. the TDX and RBX don't pull ahead of the pack until you get right to the highest flowing end of the performance curve, and you're not going to be over there with a pump that has much the same flow characteristics as a 1048.

DFI Daishi said:
well, that post was directed quite specifically at one particuar person, who is running an aquastream pump and is therefore running low flow.

Lots of people around this forum consider themselves to be in the big bore class with a 1048 so I would say that is a misnomer about using an Aquastream automatically putting you into the low flow category. I'm in the low moderate flowing classification because even though I use 6mm ID tubing I also only have the CPU on the circuit. My GPU circuit might be considered low flow because I am using another Aquastream pump and three blocks. :D

Also I would consider anyone using a 10mm ID tube with an Aquastream pump to be in the moderate category. Add a DDC to the same setup and you are running moderate high flow.

Top Nurse said:
Well if you look into the specifics of the numbers you are throwing around you will realize that the internal bore size of the fittings hasn't changed. The only thing that changed was the OAL and the thread spec. Perhaps it would benefit you to Google BSPP or go to the first post of the New AC thread and avail yourself of some of the fittings links. :)

I used the term "high flow fittings" in my post because that's how they're listed on Danger Den's site :) . Also, I don't want the new threads because all my spare fittings are of the older 9/16" threading, and if I ever need to replace a barb on my Maze4, I don't want to have to replace the top, too.

That's why I suggested you ask before buying right now. However, I'm not sure if the old high flow thread spec will screw into the BSPP threaded block or not. I think DD will post something to their site about all this when they get ready to formally announce this.

BTW, I would expect that Polar Flo may follow as well as they are into standardized things as well. Of course this is all good for us as it then makes it easier to mix and match products from one company to another. And BSPP fittings don't leak, especially if you use push-fits. :D

Top Nurse said:
That's why I suggested you ask before buying right now. However, I'm not sure if the old high flow thread spec will screw into the BSPP threaded block or not. I think DD will post something to their site about all this when they get ready to formally announce this.

BTW, I would expect that Polar Flo may follow as well as they are into standardized things as well. Of course this is all good for us as it then makes it easier to mix and match products from one company to another. And BSPP fittings don't leak, especially if you use push-fits. :D

My order was placed on the 5th though, and it shipped out on the 6th.

hey can i get an explanation or link to one that described, hopefully with images / illustrations, the different thread standards and tubing stnadards in use? and the diff connectors? like barbs, push fits etc?

Back