Danger Den DD-4870-X2 Water Block Review

amoeba1126

Gawd
Well...I been keeping an eye on the Fedex tracking since I ordered the Danger Den FC-4870-X2 so I would be lying if I told you guys that I was pleasantly surprised to find this package at my apartment complex's front office. However, I was pleasantly happy to see it.

DDBlock1.jpg

You can see from the Fedex shipping label that it is from Danger Den. I thought I would have seen Jeremy's name somewhere but it’s OK!

Anyways, buried under the invoice and a ton of pink peanuts (God I hate those cursed things...they get all over the place and are even worse to clean up once they get smashed...) I found this lonely white box. The hefty weight of the box surprised me until I remembered that it had a solid piece of copper in it.

DDBlock2.jpg

Once you open the box, the first thing you see is a bag containing the screws, thermal pad, and what appears to be a tube of Arctic Ceramique lying on thick black foam.

DDBlock3.jpg

Upon removing the box, I found the block itself. It looked fugly in the pictures and I must admit, it is even worse in person! However, this is [H] and most of us do not care much about appearance as we value functionality over beauty.

DDBlock4.jpg

DDBlock6.jpg

Notice on the back, you can still see the residue of CNC milling. Why they did not polish it up, I really can't say. However, if you are concerned of how that may affect performance, don't be; it is perfectly flat. It does give off an interesting appearance of crop circles though.

As for the packaging of the block, I must admit that I am seriously concerned as a customer. As you can see, there is visible damage as the block slides back and forth while inside the box. Notice the red circles showing the damage. Now there are indentions on the other side as well, but additional pictures would be redundant.

DDBlock4.5.JPG

DDBlock5.jpg

There is also some signs of tarnish beginning to develop on the bottom of the water block as there was no type of masking tape to seal off the copper surface from oxidation. I was also not too pleased to notice that DD had left the barbs screwed into the box itself, rather than leaving them in a bag for us customers to screw in ourselves. While metal is obviously a lot tougher than nylon, I cannot imagine that the pressure and stress caused by the block moving around in the box as well as the being sandwiched between the pads to be good for the threading. Now all these issues could have easily been avoided, had Danger Den sealed off the block, wrapped it in a bubble wrap bag, and placed the barbs in a separate bag. While it is not really a big deal as the block did arrive in relatively fine condition, such attention may prove to be a deal breaker for some other customers. It also irked me that there was no form of instructions for installation included in the box. While there is a pdf file on the Danger Den website showing how to install the block, it would not server the purpose of someone who took apart their computer already and have no access to the Internet. In this regard, Danger Den has a long way to go in terms of attention to details in packaging when compared with the likes of EK and Swiftech.

DDBlock6.5.JPG

It can also be noted that the acrylic covering is a slab of smoky black acrylic cut into a general shape and the logo engraved into it. I personally would rather have seen the acrylic milled on the sides to conform to the overall shape of the block, but I am sure that there are some who prefer this raw and rugged look. Again however, we don't mind too much of how it looks as long as it performs. On the note of performance, it can easily be seen that the DD-4870-X2 will have lower restriction than the EK version as the bend is a U, letting liquid flow much more naturally. While the wavy pins of the EK block may provide more surface area, the general graininess of the copper surface may compensate for it. I still can't get over this snail design...

DDBlock7.jpg

Aside from the lack of manuals and suspect packaging, I found it annoying that Danger Den did not have the thermal pads pre-cut. Now I haven't cut up the pad yet, but considering how soft and malleable the pad is, I am somewhat scared that unless I have a pair of very sharp scissors, I might just deform the thermal pad while cutting. Of course I will not know for sure until I actually cut it to fit on the card, but for now it poses as a concern to me.

Overall, Danger Den appears to have a solid block but there is a lot of room for improvement so far in just the preliminary judging. Now I have not tested it yet and this is purely just my visual impressions. Testing will come after Labor Day weekend as I am going on a much needed vacation. As far as presentation and packaging, it would not be far off to say that I am rather disappointed to Danger Den's lack of attention to details. From residue milling marks that should be lapped away to insufficient packaging, I almost get the feeling that Danger Den was simply in a rush to get the first high performing 4870X2 water block on to the US market. I would have also liked, as an early adopter of such an expensive block, to see a T-Shirt included as well, but hey, that's not a deal breaker for me, simply icing on the cake.

:eek:I dont get it, your upset that the block put a dent in the box? lol

They really should be polishing the bottomm though....but why do they use philips screws wtf. I would not buy the block just because of that (well that plus acrylic top). Then again there old allenhead screws must have been made in mexico cause they strip out extreamly easy.

I am not upset that it dented the box. I am upset that they did not pay more attention towards the packaging of the water block. It shows they did not put much effort into packaging and protecting a $140 purchase.

I am not upset that it dented the box. I am upset that they did not pay more attention towards the packaging of the water block. It shows they did not put much effort into packaging and protecting a $140 purchase.

Agreed, it makes them look sloppy. I can't help but feel the same way about the swirl marks. They may not affect performance, but compared to the competition it looks like another example of not caring about the fine details.

I can't beleive that they still use f'ing ugly ass screws and can't even take the time to mill the top to fit nicely.

Since I care just about as much on visual as performance I could not ever buy this block.

Subscribed to this thread. Maybe you don't care but I would block out your personal info on this public forum.

wow, looking forward to seeing your results, but I have to agree w/ RickCain, that looks and performance go hand in hand

amoeba1126, does the x2 block allow the x2 become a single slot gpu w/ this cooler like the DD 280 waterblocks?

It is low enough clearance for the card to be single slot, but the point is kind of moot as the IO plate makes it a dual slot. I am not sure yet if I can use the normal single slot IO panels for the card yet, but you may be able to since the 4870x2 has the standard DVI S-Video DVI layout.

Amoeba1126 are you going to stick with the stock back plate or use ram heatsinks?

Im going to use the backplate first and then ram sinks. DDR5 generally does not heat up too much but we will see if there is any difference in OC headroom.

subscirbed, would love to see this block in action, although i do agreee that DD have kinda failed when they packed the block...

24" Dell Ultrasharp...it's a bit of an overkill right now but with all the new games coming out, the video card should have plenty of chances to flex its muscles.

Hope you plan to run some FurMark tests. Just make sure to run them full screen so both GPUs kick in. ;)

Mine will be in its own loop when I get back in town. I will post temps from before and after futuremarks, crysis, cod4, and wic

Hey all. My X2 waterblock arrived without box damage way up here in the frozen north. Testing it with a dual 120 rad and my cpu in the loop, nothing goes over 60C load, CPU or my shiny new X2. Rad fans at 1500 RPM all the time. Idle temp of the X2 is 43C. I got pics, where do you want em?

Hey all. My X2 waterblock arrived without box damage way up here in the frozen north. Testing it with a dual 120 rad and my cpu in the loop, nothing goes over 60C load, CPU or my shiny new X2. Rad fans at 1500 RPM all the time. Idle temp of the X2 is 43C. I got pics, where do you want em?

Yes please :). That's great to hear for me as I am going that route with 1 loop only.

Max load for the video card is under 60c at all times after Vantage. I will post screen shots later tonight as well as pictures of the setup. This is with a single 120GTX radiator with 2x Scythe S-Flex E fans in push and pull, DDC3.2 pump with an xspc acrylic top, and EK 250 reservoir. The radiator does get a bit warm to touch, so I am assuming I will see a significant drop after adding another single radiator.

I've had a bunch of DD waterblocks.
They always come the same way, minimalist. UPS can't break one.
They perform very well.

But, I dont really care what the block looks like, anyway. It's upside down.;)

Gotta agree I know the Nickel Plated EK block is all the rage but only getting to look at it from the narrow view defeats the purpose unless you got a window above your card.

Max load for the video card is under 60c at all times after Vantage. I will post screen shots later tonight as well as pictures of the setup. This is with a single 120GTX radiator with 2x Scythe S-Flex E fans in push and pull, DDC3.2 pump with an xspc acrylic top, and EK 250 reservoir. The radiator does get a bit warm to touch, so I am assuming I will see a significant drop after adding another single radiator.

That's impressive can't wait for the pics.

Well my DD block had started to show signs of tarnish. Apparently, DD does not provide it with that coat that protects against oxidation :(

maybe it's the camera angle, but what are you using to cool your ramsinks on the back of the card?

I don't see any ram heatsinks or as far as I can tell, you aren't using the stock heatsink either :eek:

He is using the stock backplate

I can't believe yours is running that hot. Mine doesn't exceed 40c under load except when running the stability test in Furmark which will bring it to 44-45c. My 4870x2 is sharing a loop with my E8400 CPU overclocked to 4.2GHz.

I can't believe yours is running that hot. Mine doesn't exceed 40c under load except when running the stability test in Furmark which will bring it to 44-45c. My 4870x2 is sharing a loop with my E8400 CPU overclocked to 4.2GHz.

what fans are you using? mine is 49cfm max

Gotta agree I know the Nickel Plated EK block is all the rage but only getting to look at it from the narrow view defeats the purpose unless you got a window above your card.

That's impressive can't wait for the pics.

I have nickle-plated DD GPU blocks right here ;)

Hot pics I eat my words about the Nickel Plate now if you can just get those hot asian chicks to pose with them :)

Back