"Dancing" or "Blinking" Pixels with 1900xt

cosgrove

n00b
I'm kind of stumped, and I don't even know what to call this problem. Some pictures of the screen to kind of explain it (notice the off-color pixels):

pixel1-800.jpg

pixel2-800.jpg

pixel3-800.jpg

pixel4-800.jpg

pixel5-800.jpg

also, check out the video of them blinking http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jecosgro/pixels.wmv

I can't screenshot them so that leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, and besides, I just updated my drivers and they're still there. They sort of come and go around places, but they are prevalent around Windows' widgets (scroll bars, buttons, etc) and gradient patterns.

My CPU runs 25-30C, and I have two other temperature sensors on my board that report 49-51 and another constant 47 -- I have no idea where those are. If it's temperature, the only thing I can think of is that the 1900xt sits right above a mobo fan, maybe even touching the plastic casing (but obviously the fan still moves unrestricted).

I'm using a Viewsonic VX2025wm via DVI that I bought in the spring that hasn't given me any problems before. I haven't replaced the cable or anything because the phenomenon usually doesn't start at bootup, it takes a while (which leads me to believe it's temperature related).

Also, when I switch to a lower resolution, the problem gets much worse, with pink pixels in obvious patterns appearing in all white text box areas in addition to the normal symptoms.

Should I give ATI a call or what?

Do you have a chance to try with other 3D card? Those pixels really look like jammed pixels on the monitor. But if the jammed pixels change places in different situations it very well might be the 3D card.

I really have no idea what could be causing this on 3D card, bad RAMDAC?

Back