DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

With such a small case, I really really really don't see why anyone can insist on having USB ports on the front/side/top of the case, while the back of the case is for all intents and purposes "RIGHT THERE"!

Sigh...

/rant

Maybe it's best to left these usb ports out. USB C is coming and after that these normal ports are useless.

To me it's mostly a "why not?" situation. Some people will use them, some won't, so why not include them for the people that will? Fill up otherwise wasted USB headers and have options on where you can plug things in.

Last edited:
To me it's mostly a "why not?" situation. Some people will use them, some won't, so why not include them for the people that will? Fill up otherwise wasted USB headers and have a options on where you can plug things in.

Because some people like the clean look of not having front USB. You'll have to find out what group of users is larger and decide based on that.

I'm looking forward to the C connector, it looks way better than the current ones, and it wouldn't hurt the design as much to include them in the front. Not that you could use them right now, but in the future they might be worth considering.

Regarding Type C connectors - just because they are coming out doesn't mean Type A will go away - Type A is still a supported part of the spec, will continue to be included on motherboards, and will still be the most common connector for a long time. The benefits of Type C are size and ease-of-insertion, which only really matter if you're making something super slim or something that you unplug all the time. So while phones and chargers will probably switch right away, I imagine PC peripherals will be continue to use Type A, since the is no benefit to limiting their customer base by choosing Type C.

If you're worried about changing the aesthetic by adding extra ports, I definitely wouldn't include ports that for all we know may not see any use for years.

To me it's mostly a "why not?" situation. Some people will use them, some won't, so why not include them for the people that will? Fill up otherwise wasted USB headers and have options on where you can plug things in.

Because some people like the clean look of not having front USB. You'll have to find out what group of users is larger and decide based on that.

I'm an advocate of having the extra connectors at the back of the case, space-permitting.

I'm looking forward to the C connector, it looks way better than the current ones, and it wouldn't hurt the design as much to include them in the front. Not that you could use them right now, but in the future they might be worth considering.

I'd say all people would appreciate having clean looks on "this" case. It is one of the important "features" that makes this case worth $220+T+S. To me, having any ports on this case is against what makes it special, and those who want those ports are in fact conflicted, maybe without them noticing.

To me, having any ports on this case is against what makes it special, and those who want those ports are in fact conflicted, maybe without them noticing.
What makes this case is special is the size! It's in the title, look up, "Smallest gaming case series in the world" and not "Cleanest front in the world".

So accusing people as being conflicted is pretty dumb. And I say that as somebody who could very well live without front ports.

If you don't want the USB ports, just put the case so that you won't see them. In my opinion, they even add aesthetic because it just looks weird having no IO at all, apart from ALL other cases. Btw. you have got clean front with the side usb design now! I like clean front too, however, the thought of plugging my phone and usb flashs in mainboard seems just off :p So best idea is to go with this because everyone could "compromise" on it. Clear front AND ports, what do you want more/less? It's all good now! Dondan, really looking forward to buying this, thanks for the effort you put into this awesome project! :)

I'd say all people would appreciate having clean looks on "this" case. It is one of the important "features" that makes this case worth $220+T+S. To me, having any ports on this case is against what makes it special, and those who want those ports are in fact conflicted, maybe without them noticing.

The features of the case never were about the clean looks!!!

Do you really think it simple to be in your chair and reach the back of the case to connect a usb pen drive in the middle of the power cable, hdmi cable, keyboard, mouse, sound connectors and whatever you will have connected in the back of the case?

And if you have a compartment in your desk to insert the case, how would you reach to the back usb ports without removing the case from the compartment?

Do you really think it simple to be in your chair and reach the back of the case to connect a usb pen drive in the middle of the power cable, hdmi cable, keyboard, mouse, sound connectors and whatever you will have connected in the back of the case?

I honestly think that's pretty simple

And if you have a compartment in your desk to insert the case, how would you reach to the back usb ports without removing the case from the compartment?

An extension cord, a USB hub, a hub built into your monitor/keyboard? All of these are pretty simple solutions that you'd likely have to do anyway, because it seems like there is an overwhelming support here for the simple power on front, USB ports on side -- and in this situation you would need to have extra room in your desk to put the case and still support the side USB anyway

So I think a have it :). The most users vote for version two. This evening I try to make something like this:

*snip*

We can use a default USB I/O adapter witch is cheaper as the custom one, we have a clean front and we have two USB 3.0 near the front. I have to reduce the distance of the PSU to motherboard from 8mm to 6mm and then the adapter will easily fit between PSU and frontpanel.

I find this appealing, I used plugs to hide my USB3 ports on the front of my NCASE and it has a very nice stealth look due to the overhang of the front panel, you can barely even tell there's USB3 ports in the front. With your case having them them on the side I feel that people will get what they want, it will still be sleek and have a minimalistic front design, and be as functional, though I still prefer #2 over all else, especially because it means less I/O wires and a cheaper possible cost, it's of course best to cater to the majority, either way I'm excited for this case. I'd wish you good luck, but I don't think you'll be needing it. ;)

dondan, if you go with the the side panel, I think you should consider adding audio as well. It won't ruin the looks, the front audio cable is not really a pain to work with and hide (unlike the thick usb 3 cables) and it is available from lian li.

I still prefer option 2 though. ;). my runner up is option 1, but I am not sure if loosing GPU clearance is really worth the tradeoff for "The smallest gaming case series in the world"

Last edited:
I honestly think that's pretty simple

An extension cord, a USB hub, a hub built into your monitor/keyboard? All of these are pretty simple solutions that you'd likely have to do anyway, because it seems like there is an overwhelming support here for the simple power on front, USB ports on side -- and in this situation you would need to have extra room in your desk to put the case and still support the side USB anyway

I gave my opinion, you gave yours, I don't think it's simple, and I'm not going to discuss that.

USB ports in the side is not my desirable solution, but is acceptable to me and I don't see why would I need to connect extension cables in the side of the case (just need 5-7 cm of free space by the side).

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I made the decision to do another poll for the front I/O design question.
I think this is the easiest way to validate your decision. Please support me with your answer and you will get the best solution for this case.

DAN A4-SFX front I/O poll

1_120084uvfznuu6.jpg

Greets

Daniel

Last edited:
Did that, voted for 3, i like 5 tho, just like the original, just w/o audio. Would have suggested that but thougt it wouldn't fit w/o reducing gpu lenght :D so clearly 3 or 5 :)

Oh yeah? Really?? I can't take you seriously when you say this, I'm sorry...

Look man, take the bicycle, I'm not going to take this to a personal discussion.

You clearly didn't follow this thread from the beginning, all those questions were discussed when Dondan decided, with the opinions of the users, that he would put the audo, mic and USB connector at the front. That was decided and closed, and was only opened again in this final stage, because of the price and the GPU length, not because of aesthetics.

Do a favor to yourself e read the entire thread.

Look man, take the bicycle, I'm not going to take this to a personal discussion.

You clearly didn't follow this thread from the beginning, all those questions were discussed when Dondan decided, with the opinions of the users, that he would put the audo, mic and USB connector at the front. That was decided and closed, and was only opened again in this final stage, because of the price and the GPU length, not because of aesthetics.

Do a favor to yourself e read the entire thread.

You're right, no need to make it a personal debate, which was not my intention originally... I just found it rather unbelievable when you said looks is not among the features of this case...

Size is definitely the most important feature of this case, but you can achieve the same size with ugly looks. dondan achieved it with some really good looks, which I believe will create a larger customer base.

I've been following the thread, no worries. I know what decision was made when and why. My issue was with that statement of yours... Otherwise, it's clear that we don't agree on the front IO, and that's fine.

Honestly? I'd take #4 or #5 from the poll, but in a 2-port version in a little square cut-out like you see on motherboards.

I'm one of those people who uses standalone audio equipment and honestly can't remember the last time I used front panel audio.

where is the poll where I can say I want this right now, and to stop toying with my emotions? :)

You should also add selection to the poll if you pass the purchasing of the case, if the front panel is raped with USB and/or audio inputs.

My choices (from 1st to last choice):
5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

I'm all for USB in the front 5/4/3, and for no additional VGA length limitation (which brings the best price as a bonus)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The SX500-LG is on Amazon! Put it on your wishlists. :)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SD9IORQ

Also, there's a new cooler that I think will fit in the A4-SFX. I wonder how it will perform against the NH-L9i?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8RM1WE

Yea, that cooler has been discussed here (p. 46+) and on OC and Cooling forum: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041397771#post1041397771 (although still haven't found major reviews on it).

I placed an order for that psu mid January, and it says "shipping now" expected delivery Feb. 19-21st. I'll see how this turns out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope. I like the aesthetics of the case which were in the pictures, now the front panel will be violated because some CS:GO kids cant put up a cable extension to their headsets.

I barely needed a cable extension using a full size tower like a Corsair 600t. I can't imagine a 12" deep case will even justify the need for a cable extension. :)

@nallez

Do you know what is to use several storage devices (always connecting and disconnecting), always traveling with a weak laptop, and have a powerful mini computer for the heavy work?

And when you travel a lot, you reduce everything to the minimum, and maybe you decided to carry only one good mouse, that you take with your laptop when you go out, and you connect it to your desktop when your are at you desktop, and many, many other possibility's each user may have. Try to understand that this isn't just a nice case to gaming kids, there is much more potential users and buyers, that like me (today I'm using a SG05 to do the work, and it does, before that I had a SG09, ugly like hell, but I had everything I could ever need - except for the 12 kg!!!)

Don't be so close minded and try to understand there are several types of users, and we are here trying to get the best choice to majority of the potential users. You just want a pretty front of a case, most of the people want a little more, try to understand this.

That "only possible path" talk, doesn'e help anyone, including you!

@nallez

Do you know what is to use several storage devices (always connecting and disconnecting), always traveling with a weak laptop, and have a powerful mini computer for the heavy work?

And when you travel a lot, you reduce everything to the minimum, and maybe you decided to carry only one good mouse, that you take with your laptop when you go out, and you connect it to your desktop when your are at you desktop, and many, many other possibility's each user may have. Try to understand that this isn't just a nice case to gaming kids, there is much more potential users and buyers, that like me (today I'm using a SG05 to do the work, and it does, before that I had a SG09, ugly like hell, but I had everything I could ever need - except for the 12 kg!!!)

Don't be so close minded and try to understand there are several types of users, and we are here trying to get the best choice to majority of the potential users. You just want a pretty front of a case, most of the people want a little more, try to understand this.

That "only possible path" talk, doesn'e help anyone, including you!

I fully understand that there are multiple types of people needing some type of small case and I understand that peoples needs differ from mine.

I was just pointing out to someone who implied me being 12 years old because I wont purchase the case if it has front panel USB and/or audio inputs.

Simple because it doesn't serve me anymore, when I'm looking for a minimalistic case which can be put on show.

I was just pointing out to someone who implied me being 12 years old because I wont purchase the case if it has front panel USB and/or audio inputs.
No, I think you're 12 because the word you use when talking about including front inputs was "raped".

No, I think you're 12 because the word you use when talking about including front inputs was "raped".

To me it is. The whole case is design is simply raped. That is the word that describes the feeling when I saw the pictures with USB ports on front panel for first time.

Word "ruined" just doesn't cover it.

This is getting silly, why not have the option of one of two side panels.

One with the USB's (at extra cost) and one without - everyone is a happy bunny ;)

One with the USB's (at extra cost) and one without - everyone is a happy bunny ;)

I like this idea. +1

At the end of the day it's just the side panel and the front gets the clean look everyone desires.

Since I assume the side panels are interchangeable, this shouldn't really change the cost of production at all since a clean side panel has to be made anyways.

I dunno, because tooling and manufacturing costs of two parts which may need to be ordered in minimum quantities affects the price for both groups?

People balk at the cost of a proven $80 riser ribbon required for the product for all, but are gung ho for potentially equally or more expensive 'factory mods' desired by handfuls of individuals. :rolleyes: At this point, I'd rather have option 2 and dremel in my own USB/audio.

I dunno, because tooling and manufacturing costs of two parts which may need to be ordered in minimum quantities affects the price for both groups?

They are not really different panels, one just has an extra stage of production.

Back