Damaged Mobo or CPU ?

VISTREL

n00b
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
14
My system:

AMD 64 3200
Nvidia 6800
PC2100 512MB RAM
40GB HDD
Gigabyte K8VT800M
New 550 Antec TruePower PS

Yesterday I received new power supply and a new cpu fan with heatsink

Installed the power supply, checked everything..computer ran fine, boot up and all...

Then I started replacing cpu fan (doing it 1st time)...when I got fan+sink off, cpu came off with it....thermal paste was sticked to the heatsink with cpu...and looks like I pulled cpu off the socket without releasing that thing that goes on socket (you lower or upper it if you want to release/place cpu)..

Cpu didnt seem damaged, looked fine and no visible damage...so I put it back in, put new heatsink fan, put everything back together - and COMPUTER DOES NOT BOOT...no CMOS screen, nothing. and no beeps. Power turns on though...I can see CDROM's light flashing, then I can see greenlight on my case light on..also when I power on I see yellow light for a couple of seconds and than it goes off...Did not see any HDD lights coming (red one)...

I think Ive messed up my CPU...I also tried changing video cards - did not work...

Do you think my CPU needs a replacement or I did something worse ? Is there any way to check that before I go spend 200 bucks on CPU ?

Please help!
 
Back
Top