Damaged goods in cross trade, how to handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardly

Gawd
Basically I did a cross trade with a member on here who has good heat and has been a member here for a while. We agreed to cross ship and we each purchased our shipping labels through paypal and I sent out my items the next day and he claimed to have sent his at the same time. A few days later mine arrived to him, I wait 24 hours to PM him and ask if everything is alright, 12 hours later he responds that the items are damaged and he is putting a RTS on his package that he shipped to me to have it redelivered to him.

This doesn't seem very fair to me as I know that when I shipped my items they worked perfect. His package should have been delivered to me first since he shipped first class and I shipped media mail, but his item hasn't even gone through a sort facility.

My question is how do I handle this? Do I just bite the bullet and hope that he ships my stuff back or what?

Since everyone is asking, the user is Joecop120. HOWEVER he seems to be doing what he can to try and make the situation better.

Last edited:
Not sure there's much you can do here besides threat of negative evaluation, and being listed as a troll/permaban from forum. Has he shown you proof that your items are broken? Pictures, video, etc? And how well did you package it? If you are sure you packaged well, then you should know there's something fishy. The fact that it hasn't arrived yet to you is a very good indicator he is trying to scam you.

He never shipped if his package hasnt even been to a sort facility. The only exception to this rule is if it shows Package Accepted. But USPS generally doesnt even mark accepted unless the label is purchased at the post office itself. I've yet to ship even one package, or have one shipped to me, where it isnt marked Processed through sort facility within a day of actual shipping. 99% of the time, it shows processed by 6p the same day. My local sort facility is roughly 40m from me, but even where I was in Florida for a while was much the same and would process sort by 6p the same day, and that facility was around 2h away at the time.

Likely scenario is he didnt ship or forgot to ship, or chose not to ship. Check the serial number on the item you shipped, if you have one, and make sure it matches what you actually sent on. On one occasion, I had an ebay buyer ship back a package saying it was damaged... he switched my card with his busted one. Luckily, I had taken photos that the packaging had the proper serial that matched the card and had taken photos of the unboxing of his package (as i do most for purposes of being burned once before then). He left me bad feedback, I disputed the claim on ebay and the feedback. They recharged his account the money and removed the feedback.

This isnt saying that is what he did, but it doesnt hurt to be sure of it. Did he say when he would reship the damaged product? if not, find out. There is no reason his original package should have been delayed. Ask for tracking on his new one as well, and watch him pay for it, then watch it process same day of his shipping. Don't be surprised is his return shipping magically shows it shipped properly, even though his original never did. Just proves he's a jackass really.

USPS is surprisingly efficient for a government run agency. They've only "lost" one package I shipped. They located it 2 days after i made my claim, in Kansas of all places. (I was shipping from Florida to NC.) They refunded my shipping, even though i didnt ask for it, and got the package there the next day. On all the packages I've shipped in the last 3 years, not once has it missed an update within 24 hours. He's jerking you around really. No excuse for it. Check what you get back, if its really what you sent, then it sucks. If it isnt, your still sol on the product really since it was a trade and you cant get any money back for it. But at least you can leave him bad heat for it to let people know that he's a jackass.

start with getting your product back, then go from there.

Items are damaged, or items are non-functional? If you packed well, he received a box that had to have been beat to hell to damage the contents.

At which point he should have refused the package in my opinion.

I think if you can't get an answer out of him to be more specific, you should probably mention his name in your original post so the mods can help.

And.......if you have tracking numbers for both items that don't contain addresses or real life names I think they allow you to post those so people can see for themselves what has happened. It might be blatantly obvious to someone whose dealt with it a lot as to what has happened.

Overall the shipping delays and the fact that he can RTS a package that has never been sent into their system seems a little too convenient. Seems like he got the label and never mailed anything...claimed he did.

Well I don't want to call him out 100% on any thing, because like I said, he has good heat and has been here a while. The tracking number however for the package he sent me is 9101128882300574098495, it shows that a label was purchased but nothing more.

Basically it was a camera lens, flash, and memory cards. I placed the air bubble packaging things that come from a lot of amazon orders on the bottom and then brown packing paper as used by newegg to make sure everything was in there securely and it wasn't moving around. As I always do I shook the package vigorously and nothing was moving. He claims that both end caps on the lens came off and that it exposed the lens to the cardboard inside the box, and that the lens only works on one setting. He says the flash doesn't work at all.

I'm just not sure what to think/do about this whole situation, it wasn't an expensive set of stuff I shipped out, but the wasted time I've gone through with this is a bit of a headache.

If a mod is interested in who it is and PM's me I will tell them, but unless the other party replies in this thread it probably won't be made known who they are unless more details surface.

Did you take any photos of how you packaged it? Also, did you wrap the camera and lens individually in bubble wrap?

Basically I did a cross trade with a member on here who has good heat and has been a member here for a while. We agreed to cross ship and we each purchased our shipping labels through paypal and I sent out my items the next day and he claimed to have sent his at the same time. A few days later mine arrived to him, I wait 24 hours to PM him and ask if everything is alright, 12 hours later he responds that the items are damaged and he is putting a RTS on his package that he shipped to me to have it redelivered to him.

This doesn't seem very fair to me as I know that when I shipped my items they worked perfect. His package should have been delivered to me first since he shipped first class and I shipped media mail, but his item hasn't even gone through a sort facility.

My question is how do I handle this? Do I just bite the bullet and hope that he ships my stuff back or what?

Sounds like an expensive lens ... Was insurance purchased for this package? If it was, you should file a claim with USPS and ask the receiver to cooperate (probably he'll need to bring the package back to PO to expedite things). Why did you send a lens via Media Mail?

That aside, from the description of it, it does not sound like he sent you his package. It's only fair to ask him to produce a proof of sending. Absent "Processed through sort facility" in the tracking info, carrier pick-up confirmation, or PO acceptance receipt can serve as such a proof. Him putting RTS, yet not being able to produce a scan of some receipt or a an e-mailed carrier pick-up conformation is suspicious.

What do you consider "has good heat and has been a member here for a while"?

Last edited:

if he is calling off the deal due to damaged goods, then he needs to return your items.
Contact him and have him send your stuff back, and advise him to use tracking so there are no problems with lost or mis delivered goods. .

you should also make him aware of this thread, so that he may participate in the discussion here.

As far as his tracking number, I have seen some weird things happen with USPS tracking, so while its a bit strange, that alone is not really proof that he never shipped.

Weird things do happen, but ask him to send proof. Pictures, especially. If he can't send you that detailing the problem, or a video detailing that the flash isn't working, then there's something definitely up.

I almost want to say he is scamming you because the package doesn't even appear as if he sent his when directed to do so.

If you asked for pictures of the damage he should provide.

I've been doing some recent deals myself lately. One deal I received an item that was damage. The person sold me a motherboard, the EVGA 750i FTW nvidia motherboard. It has an angled heatsink that sits on the chipset with a fan that just snaps on. Because of the height of the heatsink, it needed a taller box to fit in, but the guy put it in a normal motherboard box. On top of that the guy didn't put the little plastic cover piece that protects the socket of a motherboard which comes with the motherboards now when you buy them since the pins are in the socket. So when a little pressure got applied to the top of the box during shipping the fan popped off. Since it was angled down towards the unprotected socket, the fan smashed into the socket and bent all the pins to hell. So when I got it, the board was damaged beyond my ability to repair and worthless to me.

Lucky the guy gave me a refund on the board. But I'm just saying that things can happen where the you thought you were being careful with the packaging. At first the guy I did the deal didn't think that could happen until I took pictures of it for him.

On another deal, for more anecdotal evidence, I shipped a Q9550 CPU to someone. He received it and said it was DOA and not working. I asked if he had done a BIOS update yet. He said he hadn't but knew of others that were using his same board and BIOS with no problem with a Q9550 cpu. I asked him to do one anyways. He did it and the CPU worked perfectly for him.

So ask for pictures first and a description of what happened. If he really is a good trader, he'll do this. If not, then he might be attempting to scam you.

Just wanted to chime in that USPS is very bad with updates for delivery confirmations purchased online. A majority of the time I send packages using their free DC service (online only), they won't update the status of my package being accepted, only delivered. So it is possible that USPS just never updated the status of his package.

Just wanted to chime in that USPS is very bad with updates for delivery confirmations purchased online. A majority of the time I send packages using their free DC service (online only), they won't update the status of my package being accepted, only delivered. So it is possible that USPS just never updated the status of his package.

On the contrary, USPS has been very efficient with tracking my packages, even the free delivery confirmation that comes with all priority shipments when paid for online updates every step of the way.

It's a little ridiculous for the person to outright say the goods were damaged and filed for the package to be rerouted back to him before giving you a chance to reply. Sounds like he never sent his stuff in the first place. Also, USPS is very, very poor with package recalls. It's near impossible really, the most they'll do is hold it at some facility for 2 weeks and then continue on with the shipment. There was a pretty big scam on TechPowerUp a while back and almost none of the members were able to successfully recall their packages.

I didn't even know you could recall an usps package, and if you can, I would assume that it would show up in the tracking.

But pictures are a must if he says it's damaged and is recalling the package.
Call him perhaps? It's been a long time since I did trades and sold stuff.

If he shipped priority then it should be showing as something different than label has been paid for. However, I did have something that was shipped to me via Parcel post and the tracking didn't show any activity for over a month before it randomly showed up. By then I had already been fighting with the seller who insisted that they shipped it weeks ago. So if the seller skimped out on Priority it may be on its way.

There is nothing in how the situation occurred that leads me to believe that this is anything but a scam. Either the other party has to return your stuff and prove that it was damaged or deliver on his end.

According to this article (link below) recalling a USPS package is ridiculously difficult to do and the package would have made its way to your post office before they would even stop it and send it back.

I would just ask for my stuff back and be done with the guy. If you feel they were damaged during shipping hopefully you insured them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5049110_recall-package-usps.html

He never shipped if his package hasnt even been to a sort facility. The only exception to this rule is if it shows Package Accepted. But USPS generally doesnt even mark accepted unless the label is purchased at the post office itself. I've yet to ship even one package, or have one shipped to me, where it isnt marked Processed through sort facility within a day of actual shipping.

You're overstating USPS tracking a bit. I ship a ton of packages a year through USPS(in the 100's). I'd say about 75% these days get an origin hub scan IF you drop it off in a mail box. They do not get scanned when I drop it off at the local post office until they reach the destination hub. The "accepted" is when someone schedules a pick up and the postman scans the package in. However their scanning is getting better and better. Gone are the days when you would receive a package before the package would even be scanned once.

Back on topic the guy is probably scamming. It is pretty hard to intercept Priority and first class mail. You have to fill out a form and they only say they will try... But the package is usually delivered before they can. The fact that this guy seems so confident that he can do it and the fact that his package has no tracking at all leads me to believe he's screwing with you.

I've done some research on the lens that was mailed to him and it seems as though perhaps the lens doesn't like digital cameras, which is what he is using it on. Before we made a 100% deal I explained to him that I don't use digital and that I had no idea if it would work with his digital camera. So that being said, I'm not sure what to do/think.

He says my items are on there way back to me and he will package them better than I did so that they arrive safely, but I haven't gotten any tracking number or anything from him yet. As far as insuring them, I packaged them well and have never had any issues with damaged goods before. Ask anyone who as bought from me about my packaging, I do my absolute best to insure that things are packaged safely to ensure they arrive in just as good of condition as they left my hands in.

I think this guy either had second thoughts about trading, or he already had the items you had, but they were damaged. First class mail should always arrive before media mail, especially over long distances. USPS is really good with scanning packages, I always get updates on my packages as it goes through sort facilities.

For what it's worth.
The tracking number you've just shows he's printed it out, he may of never actually sent it.
And as far as member length here, after almost being scammed by a member who had 6+ years here I no longer put much stalk into that.

Well I asked him for pictures of the damages to the items and a photograph of how the packing material was when he received it, although he could easily just throw the stuff in there horribly to make it look like it arrived in shambles even if it didn't.

@ cyberkost, he has 72 positive heat with no negatives and has been a member here for over 4 years now. And it was shipped media because it was cheap and it contained camera memory cards which I was under the impression of fell into the media class.

I've done some research on the lens that was mailed to him and it seems as though perhaps the lens doesn't like digital cameras, which is what he is using it on. Before we made a 100% deal I explained to him that I don't use digital and that I had no idea if it would work with his digital camera. So that being said, I'm not sure what to do/think.

That said right there, he's trying to get out of the deal. You're probably correct with your assessment when correlated with "It only works on one setting": There are a lot of older lenses out there that will ONLY work on manual focus on newer cameras. The guy didn't do his research and is trying to get out of it now.

Well I asked for pics and his response was:

Naw, I didn't take any pics. Its in usps possession again, but could be worth checking on when it gets back to ya.

72-0-0 and 4+ year on [H] sounds trustworthy (to me), but it looks like your trading partner decided to cheat on you by not cross-shipping as agreed. He's "recalling" shipment now, and it's going to work only b/c he never shipped the item. I guess his 72-0-1 heat will document this for the rest of the traders here ....

You, however, did not help yourself by:
1. Sending via Media Mail something you should not have
2. Not insuring the package (I'm assuming we have the discussion here b/c the lens was/is somewhat valuable)
3. Things like lenses, especially those that don't have screw-on caps have to travel in a clean plastic bag (I do realize that you trade partner maybe misstating the situation with the end caps coming off in transit). Same lesson though: buy insurance for packages that you cannot take a loss on.

What I think would be appropriate outcomes here
A. If you don't get the item your trade partner sent you AND a proof that it was sent before receiving your package, you should get your items back (at his expense) and he should get negative heat (you should get none)
B. If your trade partner can provide a proof that he sent his items to you as agreed, then the two of you should negotiate a mutually satisfactory solution to this (which, I'd imagine, will include some loss of time and $$ for each of you)

That's a pretty horrible response you got.
But in all honesty, if I were in your position, he seemed to be a worth trader, but hey, that could all change, especially if the tracking number doesn't go past the first step.
But hopefully you get your stuff back intact.
I've always shipped priority with insurance and signature confirmation. I don't know if it really saves all that much. Makes both parties happy, and covers you if anything does happen.
But it's been a while since I sold anything.

for what it worth i have great heat and i always try to pack my items as good as possible. I have had 2 case where the item have gotten to the buyer in such bad condition, that I'm almost positive the dam workers played soccer with my package.

So no matter how good you pack anything chit can happen. but it does seem like he made you ship and he waited on it.

I have to agree with this. When I get stuff shipped via USPS, this is always how it appears to me until it is delivered.

I've never heard of being able to "recall" or "redirect" a package with USPS. I've tried it before and they said that it was not possible. I think he never shipped his stuff and had it in for you from the start, kind of like a "try before you buy" deal.

I've never heard of being able to "recall" or "redirect" a package with USPS....

My thoughts exactly. I'm 99.9% sure you can NOT RTS a package sent by 1st class mail, even priority mail is a question mark. I don't think USPS has the capability to do that with regular mail. I might be wrong, but why don't you check with local PO and ask if that's even possible. Although it may be possible if you send the item via registered mail, as it is handled differently with the other mail option.

Another thing, where does the other party live? small town? big city? if it is small town, I think that's not even possible due to the fact that they have to be re-routed to the main hub (big city) for processing. Again check with your local PO for confirmation.

I'll just wait to get the item back and see if it was damage due to shipping or the trader i.e. part swap.

I'm assuming that the OP didn't insure the package.

I recalled a package during a trade because the item I received was DOA, RTS vis USPS. If the trader received my part knowing the item was DOA, I could have been scammed or ended up paying extra shipping costs to reverse the trade.
We split the return shipping on their item and agreed on it being a bad trade. No feedback on either side since the trade wasn't completed. Everything doesn't require feedback, just use common sense when dealing with a traders reputation.

Last edited:
For what it's worth.
The tracking number you've just shows he's printed it out, he may of never actually sent it.
And as far as member length here, after almost being scammed by a member who had 6+ years here I no longer put much stalk into that.

same here, I had to neg a guy that had as much time on the forums as me for sending me a laptop that was totally different than i paid for. time on the forums means nothing I see people all the time who try to get away with a fast one after years of playing by the rules. I doubt he sent it myself. I bet he pulled a wait and see if its what i want move. If you do not get the item back asap then we can escalate this but for now this is pretty much going nowhere since you did not call the person out or let him know about this thread, so instead of more of the same responses lets close this until you are ready to make an update then notify a mod to unlock for you.

This thread is open again so that the OP can tell the rest of the story.

if your going to offer advice, please keep it relevant to this transaction

Alright, basically I got my items back from the trader today only to find out that nothing was actually damaged. I put all the things on my film camera and they all function just fine. As I said earlier it would appear as if that lens only worked on digital at its lowest aperture which is probably the one mode the guy said it would work in. So after a week and a half wasted I get my items back and had to pay shipping two ways for something that wasn't even defective.

My question for you guys is what feedback do I leave for this transaction?

Also, @ Ruckus I did let the person know about the thread, and I assume they read it all but I wasn't going to call someone out on something without 100% proof that they were trying to scam or get the better of the deal.

Well, he did return your items safely, and they still work, so that's a plus. On the flip side, you had to pay shipping both ways and waste a week and a half because he either didn't research what he was buying or didn't know how to make it work. Neutral at best.

Well .. neutral may actually be too generous, as the yet to speak trader promised to cross-ship, but never did ...

Neutral my @ss! he obviously was worried it wouldn't work with his digital, so he lied and played a game with you. I think you should neg him and say who he was. Nothing wrong with that, some of us would like to avoid shady people.

Last edited:
ask him to refund you the shipping back. then leave negative feedback with link to this thread when he say he will not pay the refund.

I'd wait leaving a Heat rating until the buyer's explanation is heard. Any honorable trader would be forthright with a valid explanation. Even if the explanation is derogative on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back