Damaged CPU?

daws0n

Weaksauce
Disassembling a PC a friend of mine accidentally tripped the power with no heatsink / fan on the CPU! :confused: :eek: :mad: Luckily, only the 24 PIN power was connected to the board. Since there was no CPU fan or EPS12V connector plugged it, this means theoretically no power was going to the CPU right? It was turned off after 3 seconds without giving it time to POST - could this have caused damage to the processor?

Hmm, it can get a little complicated when a processor and different voltage/lack of voltage situations arise. Only thing to do is rebuild and see if it works.

My question is...Why were you disassembling it with the power pluged in? tsk tsk.;)

No idea! In all fairness it's a royally dumb ass thing to do. Though admittedly I rarely unplug myself, I usually just trip the switch on the back of the PSU and then turn on to discharge any built up electricity. Is this safe enough?

The CPU is most likely fine. It will not have incurred any thermal damage, and I'm sure the motherboard circuitry has built-in protection to make sure that the lack of an auxiliary power connection will not result in any harm to the CPU.

agree with everyone else here btw. Always unplug. I made a similarly stupid mistake a long time ago when I first started playing with computers, but it was a hard drive, and I accidentally fried it by playing with the molex connector when it was turned on. Made me pretty upset frying my 6gb back up hdd.

lessons learned

Back