Daisy-Chaining Molex connectors?

fromage

[H]ard|Gawd
Since my Antec TruePower 2.0 550W SLi only has 5 Molex connectors. I need 7(1 fan, EZ_PLUG on the motherboard, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives and 1 light).

Is it possible to daisy-chain a few harddrives together, or something? I know it's not recommended, but all I have is PATA hard drives with Molex connectors. I have about 4 SATA connectors but only 1 SATA harddrive. :rolleyes:

Unless I find a SATA-to-Molex power connector, daisy chaining is the only solution I have left, but is it feasible/reliable?

Doing the fan and light on one wouldn't hurt anything, and you could probably get by putting the EZ_Plug on there as well (w/ fan and light), but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've got the Truepower II as well, and I have 3 fans and 1 light on one molex, and they all run very fast (my mobo temps idle 30-35 (when it works :mad: )

The problem is that the fan, light, and the EZ Plug are all on different sides of the god damn case(light in the front, fan on the side, and ez plug in the back on the mobo).

It shouldn't hurt anything. My case is a cabling nightmare, and I have a no-name PSU rated at 550 watts. I have 2 PATA HDs, 2 optical drives, mobo connection, graphics card, and a couple case fans all running off of it and a lot of it is daisy chained, haven't had any problems yet.

I have a Truepower II in an Antec P180, and the Tricool fans in that case featuer passthrough molex connectors. I'm also running the full complement of 6 HDDs. Since the bottom cage is hard to reach, I have 2 y-adapters down there, which are linked into two of the PSU's Molex, My 2 optical drives run off a y-adapter, and my other 2 drives in the primary cage also have a y-adapter. All the pass-throughs/splitting doesn't affect my stability whatsoever.

Spectre said:
What kind of light are we talking about? A CCFL?

Just a normal blue LED light it seems. It's just a light sitting behind a semi-transparent gloss with the case manufacturer's logo on it. It's a simple LED, and the Molex connector only has 2 pins on it.

Back