daisy-chaining ccfl's

DanSan

Limp Gawd
I've been watching my UV cathodes over a month or so. Most of them seem to be working great, while (2) 4inch tubes seem to bounce between a light-violet color and most of the time a pretty dark dark purple. Also when i power on the system after being shut off for sometime the lights i see take a few seconds (maybe 30 or so) to reach their normal brightness. not sure if that is normal or not.

My real main concern is the daisy chaining of power im doing. If you take a look at the following you can get a good idea

IMG_1942.jpg

You can kind of see at the top by the CD-drives, I have 1 lead coming from the PSU powering both dvd drives and then using an T extender that came with the psu, i connected it to one inverter. Its been awhile since i put the machine together and ive changed it a few times so what im trying to say is. I have 3 inverters in there and i believe i have 2 or maybe all of them hooked to the same lead using the pass-through they come with. What i want to know, is doing this allowing the lights not to reach their max brightness? I know ull get degradation of signal if you use extension cables with video, does the power work the same?

Check to see if all the CCFL's that arn't working properly are on the same inverter.

Also, maybe your PSU doesn't have enough watts. I am not sure, but it sounds like that definately could be the problem.

Mine after a few years now take much longer to get all the way bright. probably normal, IMO... Everything has a lifespan.

its a Hiper 580watt.

I have 2 hard drives, 2 dvd burners, the 6 cathodes. 4 case fans hooked up

(and no, the problem lights arent on the same inverter)

I have 2 UVs on Two inverters and they also take awhile to get to max brightness

but I think your drawing too much power from that cable.

I have each inverter on a different cable with a few fans on the same line. My HDDS are on there own line and as are the DVDs

yea my hard drives are on their own line...

its the line with the 2 dvds and then i think 2 inverters on it that im worried about

yea my hard drives are on their own line...

its the line with the 2 dvds and then i think 2 inverters on it that im worried about
Should be fine in my opinion. Unless that Hiper 580w uses 22ga wires which I doubt.

You did not modify the leads from the inverter/s to the light tubes, right? Hard to tell from the image.

Bundling lots of the white CCFL leads together, or having many inverters in close proximity, creates alot if IR interference.

Try wrapping some in tinfoil (the inverters) and seperate the white leads as much as possible.

CCFL's draw about 3w-5 of power from the 12v line (so about .25 - .35 amps) So you're definitely not pulling too much power.

my UV cathodes take about 10 minutes to get to full brightness, and my red ones take even longer.

Back