dail up issues - cant stay connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
My friends gateway (5 yrs old) has now started to have dial up issues when she goes to check her email. When ever after she wants to send out a email it automatically disconnects her. ONLY for email. she can stay on for hours just webserfing. If i connect her to my LAN emailing works fine. Shes using OE to send her emails. Has Outlook 2000 installed but never used it. - i doubt its the client though.

Things i tried -

reinstall the current driver ver. found on the PC
DLing latest version - didnt even let me fully install it.

I wanted to try to stick another modem in there, but since the PC is a small factor system, it has some sort of custom length PCI slots and my devices wont fit, even if i take the mounting clip off.

My next try is finding a USB external dial up modem in a retail store, which allows returns.

SYSTEM Specs:

Celeron - 724mhz
256mb RAM
XP SP2
onboard dial-up - 56K AC-Link Voice Modem

[H]elp me out here.

Modems are cheap. WIth how old the system is, I would highly recommend upgrading. The newer 56k's offer v92 and other features that should help her run more stable with dialup. Also, 3rd party software that connects to the internet every once and a while may affect her connection.

shes using the built in dial up software in OE. you think thats the issue?

Not at all. That is fine. Check to make sure the "idle time" is set higher, that might help. If her ISP thinks she has become idle for too long they will disconnect her.

well i can web serf on that PC for hours on dial up.
but when i want to send an email, BOOM - disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back