• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DAC vs AMP

kaluminati

Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2004
Messages
579
Could someone enlighten me on what a DAC does versus an amp. I currently have a Cmoy amp made by Misterx. I noticed someone had an DAC+AMP from http://www.firestone-audio.com/ that I liked.

I am looking to upgrade my amp. Would it be wise to get a DAC as well? Or is that geared more towards someone who does audio creation. Any help would be great.

BTW, my headphones are the HD595s
 
What to upgrade pretty much depends on what you think the weak link in your system is.
What sound card are you using now?
 
DAC = Digital to Analog Converter. This is the electronic device (usually on a soundcard) that turns the data codes (00011001 etc) into an electric signal. Like anything else, the quality of the components and design can have a major impact on the quality of the audio signal generated. This signal is then passed on to the amp. Wiki definition

Amp = Amplifier. Does what it's named, amplifies the audio signal so that it can drive speakers or headphones. Again, quality of parts and design have an impact on the sound signal. Wiki definition

Of course, you can have the worlds highest fidelity audio signal and if you listen through a cheap set of cans or speakers it's still going to sound like crap. Likewise, the source of the audio signal is equally important; playing an mp3 through high-end equipment simply results in audiophiles laughing and poking you with sticks (in stereo). Worse yet, the elite 'philes will shock you with their tube amps while playing Judas Priest vinyls backwards (and we all know the result of that).

A well balanced combination of components is your best bet. Personally, if you have a decent audio card, I'm not sure the average listener would really notice the difference of a dedicated DAC, especially if you don't have the amp, cans or speakers capable of reproducing that fine nuance.

Just my 2£

EDIT -

Just noticed that the cans you have seem to be pretty good, so you very well could hear the difference between amps and such. I'm more of a speaker guy, so I'll defer those opinions to Mister_X and others... Just trying to help out on the explanations.
 
Amp then source.

Did you buy an Elpac for the CMoy?
If you did PM me your address and I will send you one of my demo amps to try out for a while. :)
 
Back
Top