DAC or USB Soundcard?

Dmitri

n00b
I've bought a pair of Mackie MR5 which I plan to hook up to my laptop.

I don't want to use my Realtek HD onboard, what I'm trying to decide is whether it get a USB soundcard (x-fi HD) or a DAC (likely an Audioengine D1). Will the DAC provide any perceptible sound quality improvement over the X-fi? Will I actually I hear the difference in real world use?

This is mostly for flac audio, some film and games. I'm not too concerned about multichannel.

An external soundcard is effectively a DAC.
It takes the digital information and converts it to analog to output to your speakers, power amps or whatever....

So really, you should buy whatever DAC / external soundcard that has the features and ideally the component quality that you're looking for.

An external soundcard is effectively a DAC.
It takes the digital information and converts it to analog to output to your speakers, power amps or whatever....

So really, you should buy whatever DAC / external soundcard that has the features and ideally the component quality that you're looking for.

I understand that an external soundcard has a DAC, I was wondering if the quality was different between a 70euro soundcard and a DAC only device that costs 150euro would be noticeable to my ears?

I understand that an external soundcard has a DAC, I was wondering if the quality was different between a 70euro soundcard and a DAC only device that costs 150euro would be noticeable to my ears?

Not by much but it should clear things up a bit for music especially.

Back