• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DAC or USB Soundcard?

Dmitri

n00b
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
53
I've bought a pair of Mackie MR5 which I plan to hook up to my laptop.

I don't want to use my Realtek HD onboard, what I'm trying to decide is whether it get a USB soundcard (x-fi HD) or a DAC (likely an Audioengine D1). Will the DAC provide any perceptible sound quality improvement over the X-fi? Will I actually I hear the difference in real world use?

This is mostly for flac audio, some film and games. I'm not too concerned about multichannel.
 
An external soundcard is effectively a DAC.
It takes the digital information and converts it to analog to output to your speakers, power amps or whatever....


So really, you should buy whatever DAC / external soundcard that has the features and ideally the component quality that you're looking for.
 
An external soundcard is effectively a DAC.
It takes the digital information and converts it to analog to output to your speakers, power amps or whatever....


So really, you should buy whatever DAC / external soundcard that has the features and ideally the component quality that you're looking for.

I understand that an external soundcard has a DAC, I was wondering if the quality was different between a 70euro soundcard and a DAC only device that costs 150euro would be noticeable to my ears?
 
I understand that an external soundcard has a DAC, I was wondering if the quality was different between a 70euro soundcard and a DAC only device that costs 150euro would be noticeable to my ears?

Not by much but it should clear things up a bit for music especially.
 
Back
Top