D975XBX2 Win7 audio driver problem

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
I have the Intel D975XBX2 motherboard, aka the Bad Axe 2, and am now running Windows 7 64-bit. I think poor audio driver support is killing me on a lot of stuff. I am running the Vista 64-bit IDT 92XX 20001.0 drivers from Intel's official site, here, because they have not (and apparently will not) release Win7 drivers.

On some bootups, audio works fine. The volume control will work, iTunes and MPC-HC will play songs and video just fine, and so on.

On some bootups, however, audio takes a holiday, and the volume control, iTunes and MPC-HC will lock up if I attempt to use them. Games and anything that wants to play audio can be affected as well. The only solution is to reboot Windows, often many times in a row before sound works properly again.

On some bootups, audio will work for a little while, and then quit working and I must reboot Windows.

When I start up iTunes, an odd thing may or may not happen, seemly not dependent on whether audio is working that time - the audio will emit a bunch of clicks, which is (I think) ding.wav played about a dozen times in less than half a second. ding.wav is in the Windows Sound control panel Sounds tab, but I use the Windows Default sound theme, and the the only item set to to use ding.wav is the Fax error sound (and I do not have anything to do with faxes set up on this computer).

While in the Sound Control Panel, I noticed that "Play Windows Login Sound" is turned on, but I have never yet heard Win7 make a sound on startup, even when audio is working. Also, when I am logging off, especially after experiencing an audio problem, I get the "The following programs are still running: Explorer.exe Playing logoff sound" error, as described in this Microsoft Support article; their solution is not helpful, and it's obvious the problem is being caused by Window's inability to play the logoff sound at all.

Is my only solution to buy a dedicated sound card? That is a very unsatisfactory solution, and I'd rather buy a new motherboard instead.

Thanks for your post.

I also have a vested interest in this also, with a Bad Axe 2 MB.
See sig.

I'm going to install Windows 7 64bit over my holiday break.
I'm hoping this is not a show stopper.

Whats your BIOS version?

So heres a free bump!

I have the latest 2838 BIOS.

What post #3 in your first link describes is exactly what I've got, so now I know it's not just me - it really is the sound drivers being iffy.

Since I posted, I have had no audio problems. When I posted it, I had just rebooted nearly a dozen times trying to get it to work right. It really is intermittent.

Per the fourth post of that thread, I looked at the prices of Creative Audigy cards, and they're $30 on newegg. I don't even know if I want to do that, since I am also thinking of upgrading from 2GB to 4GB, and even upgrading my E6600 to a Q6700 (apparently the Bad Axe 2 can't reliably take an 8x00 CPU). But if I do all that, I might be better off just getting a cheap DDR3 board.

When you installed windows 7, did you have any issues with the
default audio driver it installed?

Did windows update offer you a driver, or did you just install
the Intel one?

I assume you turned off the onboard sound in BIOS, before you
went to windows 7.

I have an old Creative Audigy laying around here, that is windows 7
compatible, and if I have issues, I'll throw it in there.

I'm installing windows 7 64bit tomorrow, so I'll let you know if
I have the issue too. If I come up with a solution I'll pass it on..
I'm also going from 2 to 6gb of RAM.

Seems like we have similar plans. I'd like to make my system last
another year or so before I build again.

If all else fails, I may try these drivers here.
Not for our board, but Windows 7 and might do the trick.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18344&ProdId=2932&lang=eng

or

http://download.cnet.com/IDT-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-197119.html

Last edited:
When you installed windows 7, did you have any issues with the default audio driver it installed?

I think it didn't work at all, requiring some sort of sound driver to hear any sound.

Did windows update offer you a driver, or did you just install the Intel one?

I just installed the Intel one. Windows Update didn't have any suggestions.

I assume you turned off the onboard sound in BIOS, before you went to windows 7.

No, I didn't. Why would I do that?

I have an old Creative Audigy laying around here, that is windows 7 compatible, and if I have issues, I'll throw it in there.

Since you already have one, I think that would be by far the simplest solution for you.

I'm installing windows 7 64bit tomorrow, so I'll let you know if I have the issue too. If I come up with a solution I'll pass it on..
I'm also going from 2 to 6gb of RAM.

Due to its intermittent behavior, it may be quite some time before you do have a problem. Or it may do it immediately. Sometimes I don't have audio problems for days. Makes it very hard to know if what you tried actually solved the problem.

If all else fails, I may try these drivers here.
Not for our board, but Windows 7 and might do the trick.

I doubt those would work at all.

As I think more about it, I think I may just upgrade the RAM, get an Audigy card, just leave the CPU as is, and do a rebuild on DDR3 some other year. I'm running the E6600 at 3.0Ghz, and the only time I've really seen it lag is on GTAIV (which hammers even an i7 at 4GHz).

"No, I didn't. Why would I do that?"
Sorry, my fat finger..

Meant to say if you get an external card, turn that one off, but
I'm sure you know that already.

Let you know after Tomorrow, if I have similar issues..

OK, I'm up and running now in x64 Win 7 HP, after a fresh install.

I installed the same driver as you. Itunes and then my music library
from backup.

I've been playing songs now, for about 40 minutes and I'm not detecting
any issues. Windows sounds all work fine, so far.

The only glitch are my headphones, they dont work, I get nothing
despite the fact there enabled in the mixer properties.

If I have any more info, I'll pass it on.

Update: after my original post on December 16, I did not experience the audio problem again despite heavy daily use of the PC until today, 42 days later. After two reboots, the problem has gone away again. It's impossible to troubleshoot a bug THAT intermittent.

Back