d94's APOGEE! *realworld comparrison to mcw6000* (56K Warning!!)

d94

Gawd
so i just got a package in the mail about 15 minutes ago!
my new WB :D
img18473ok.jpg

img18491vm.jpg

img18516fg.jpg

looks like the mounting is the same as it is for my 6000 block, so i dont have to take mobo out! just need to drain my system and swap blocks
this will be the perfect realword test as this block is supposed to be optimal on dualcore procs and i just so happen to have a 830 @ 4.1ghz
currently im idling @ 38 and loading @ 47

results and more pix to come soon :sn:

img18518gd.jpg

img19023yw.jpg

img18660pa.jpg

img18833jv.jpg

img18990cl.jpg

as you can see, its a nice looking block, but it does have some minor defects
as many have reported, swiftech didnt do the greatest job cutting the block and it shows. there are some small shavings still attached to the block, and the top of the base isnt perfectly flat, as you can see in the right side of the last picture. but, it isnt as bad ~ the shaving that is..there's just a little bit.
now to clean up the block and get this puppy mounted

welp
i got er up n' running :D
best part of all, i didnt havta take my mobo out as the mounting skrews are the same as they are on my 6000
anyways. temps are lower! idle is now 35C and load is 42C. a 3c difference on idle and 5c difference on load. not bad :)
img1919small1uu.jpg

img1923small3vk.jpg

img1927small4lv.jpg

i would guess that when the as5 settles temps will go down another degree or so.

all in all this block is deffinetly worth the $40 i paid for it :)

so anyone that was waiting to hear these results, GO BUY IT!
just make sure to clean it first...heh

i'm glad that you are getting such good results with your block, the MCW 6000/2 were good blocks and the apogee is beating them handily.

all the same, i regard another person wtih metal cuttings in their block to be a pretty bad sign so far as the current build quality of these things.

just a warning, although i have a huge monitor and i like the details that i can see in your block with those beautiful high res images, some people are going to complain.

the tags aren't working in you sig, but it's good to see another person using a danner mag around here. you find yours quiet? what GPU block are you running? is that coloured stuff in yout T line this wicked new "growing" coolant dye that i have heard about? ;)

You should have warned off the DSL users as well. :rolleyes: Please resize your pics to something decent like less than 800 x 600. okay?

All those naysayers about Koolance blocks should apologize to Koolance if you think this is a great block. ;)

wow, even DSL warning! hehe, nice results though. Thanks for the time taken to give us a nice performance comparison...

Top Nurse said:
You should have warned off the DSL users as well. :rolleyes: Please resize your pics to something decent like less than 800 x 600. okay?

All those naysayers about Koolance blocks should apologize to Koolance if you think this is a great block. ;)
hey, i'm on DSL and it loaded fine. i'm ULing about 50 KB/s and DLing at 200 KB/s via a few .torrents while i'm at it too.

sweet, sweet, 4 MB/s canadian DSL pipe........it's good. :D

regarding the block, though, did koolance have the diamond pins before swiftech started using them in their 5000 series blocks? it's not like the design is a new one for them, regardless.

DFI Daishi said:
hey, i'm on DSL and it loaded fine. i'm ULing about 50 KB/s and DLing at 200 KB/s via a few .torrents while i'm at it too.

regarding the block, though, did koolance have the diamond pins before swiftech started using them in their 5000 series blocks? it's not like the design is a new one for them, regardless.

I got DSL too so it just took a little while to DL. That part didn't bother me as much as having to use the little M$ box arrows even on my Viewsonic 20" monitor.

Have no idea about when Koolance started their pyramid power, but they have been basically making the same block for a long time now. The point is that Swiftech is using a very old design, dressing it up in G4 looks and trying to make a killing off the similarity between the G4/Storm and the Apogee before anyone finds out the wiser. Considering where they primarily market to that might very well be a long time which will make their stockholders quite happy. I always thought the Koolance blocks were very good even when everyone else said they were no good. Today they are vindicated....

Top Nurse said:
The point is that Swiftech is using a very old design, dressing it up in G4 looks and trying to make a killing off the similarity between the G4/Storm and the Apogee before anyone finds out the wiser. Considering where they primarily market to that might very well be a long time which will make their stockholders quite happy.
well, by and lage i agree with you. i have commented to similar effect in other threads about the apogee.

there are a lot of things that i don't much like about the apogee, but if indiepedant testing shows it doing as well as swiftech is making it out to be, then i'm going to have to hope that they fix their quality problems and shut the hell up.

unfortunately for me: if he really is pushing 3 C better than he was getting with a 6000, all other things being equal, than the apogee seems to have the storm beat across a good area of the cooling/flow curve.........it's the lower flowing end of the curve, but very impressive, especially for use with low cost AC pumps with limited head or quiet pumps.

regarding the koolance designs.....

i'm not one of the super-freaks who can model this stuff, however given that theapogee does about 3 C better than the 6000, which does about 2 C better than the 5000, which also used diamond pins, there is a lot more to these designs than the use of a diamond geometry.

one diamond pin is doing about 5 C better than another diamond pin, flow per flow. there is plainly a lot of flow and geometry optimization going on here.

i don't know where koolance sits in respect to these blocks, however to say that it is a killer design because it uses diamond pins isn't a terribly compelling argument.

Top Nurse, the only reason your DSL decided to load slow was because your tubing is to small, please consider upgrading to a minimum of 3/8" tubing in order to see an increase in performance. No lie.

Apogee looks nice, I somehow want one...

I should have my Apogee here tomorrow to run against my Storm. If I have time between memory reviews, I'll get it installed and get some basic real world numbers. Lee should be done before to much longer I hope. Last I heard he was running some CPU load tests on his Apogee................ :eek:

Do you guys realise how incredibly stupid the name of the block sounds? Apogee... Think about that for a minute...

TehRoflcopter said:
Do you guys realise how incredibly stupid the name of the block sounds? Apogee... Think about that for a minute...

It's not much worse than some forum usernames... :rolleyes:

Besides, do you even know what the word means? If not one deffinition for it is highest point, another is "a final climactic stage".

I think they're trying to imply that this block is the ultimate achievement.

madmat said:
I think they're trying to imply that this block is the ultimate achievement.
I don't think it is more than a modified MCW6000 looking like a Storm.......... But hey were else can you get a block and shavings?

ok you reported a 3C difference but was that with ambient temps the same? how bout taking the block off and reapplying the thermal paste several times and taking the average of both (ie put your old block on, apply paste bench, measure results, repeat) and take the average. Do the same with the apogee, then i'll be impressed. I'm not saying you're wrong or that your numbers are crap but this is far from hard proof...

I got my storm block in the other day and it's sitting on my floor til sometime this weekend when I get time to put it in...

I just got my apogee block in. The first thing I noticed is that the inlet is no longer in the center of the block. The in/out are both equally spaced on the block. This makes me think they had dual cores in mind when making.

I noticed on your setup you have the inlet coming in on top and returning out the bottom. This makes sense to me since water flows down hill...

I don't have a dual core, but I will probably route the incoming on the top and return out the bottom. Unless somebody advises against doing so.

I haven't checked for shavings yet, but it sounds like I should go ahead and do so...

TehRoflcopter said:
Top Nurse, the only reason your DSL decided to load slow was because your tubing is to small, please consider upgrading to a minimum of 3/8" tubing in order to see an increase in performance. No lie.

Hehehe... I think 3/8 tubing looks better than 1/4 anyhow.
But I definately prefer my TDX's looks to the Apogee's.

I don't have a dual core, but I will probably route the incoming on the top and return out the bottom. Unless somebody advises against doing so.

I would put the output on the top, i would think it would bleed better this way. just my opinion though but i think the old 6000s specifically said to put the output higher than the input to allow for better bleeding.

Received my block direct from Swiftech today and took it apart and inspected for shavings, none to be found on my block. It might have been a problem with the first production run of the blocks, time will tell I guess............... :D

I have a different review to finish first................ :eek: My HD took a crap yesterday, so I'm a bit behind the power curve right now. I'm going to try and install it later today if I get a chance.

I think I want an Apogee...

lololol, I can't get over that name, Apogee, it sounds so FUNNY! I think the next revision to this block should be something even more ridiculous. Like, bungar...

DFI Daishi said:
i'm glad that you are getting such good results with your block, the MCW 6000/2 were good blocks and the apogee is beating them handily.

all the same, i regard another person wtih metal cuttings in their block to be a pretty bad sign so far as the current build quality of these things.

just a warning, although i have a huge monitor and i like the details that i can see in your block with those beautiful high res images, some people are going to complain.

the tags aren't working in you sig, but it's good to see another person using a danner mag around here. you find yours quiet? what GPU block are you running? is that coloured stuff in yout T line this wicked new "growing" coolant dye that i have heard about? ;)

i just fixed my sig..i cant get any links or colors or anything working even thou the option is there! but ya, this mag is nice n' cheap and pushes a good bit of water :)
as you can see in the pix i have something to obsorb the vibrations. id say my ase fans are louder tho :p
the cpu block im using is a maze4 acetal version and iv got a couple drops of green dye in my line that i bought off frozen cpu.

for everyone asking me to downsize the pix, ill do so as soon as i get a chance

lololol, I can't get over that name, Apogee, it sounds so FUNNY! I think the next revision to this block should be something even more ridiculous. Like, bungar...

its not a funny name...i wonder how you did on your SATs :p

apogee

n 1: a final climactic stage; "their achievements stand as a culmination of centuries of development" [syn: culmination] 2: apoapsis in Earth orbit; the point in its orbit where a satellite is at the greatest distance from the Earth [ant: perigee]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=apogee

TehRoflcopter said:

naw, if they want to continue the theme, they should call their next block the zenith.

i really don't get what you find so funny about the name apogee. do you find paragee, peak, summit and pinnacle to be similarly entertaining?

Double Jesus said:
ok you reported a 3C difference but was that with ambient temps the same? how bout taking the block off and reapplying the thermal paste several times and taking the average of both (ie put your old block on, apply paste bench, measure results, repeat) and take the average. Do the same with the apogee, then i'll be impressed. I'm not saying you're wrong or that your numbers are crap but this is far from hard proof...

I got my storm block in the other day and it's sitting on my floor til sometime this weekend when I get time to put it in...

Wow, this is quite obviously not a "professional" review and I'm sure was not meant as one either. This is just one guy giving his scoop on a new block.

And for the ppl who think it sounds wierd, I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the A and not the O. It does sound rather odd if you emphasize the O. Kind of how the Brits emphasize the Us in "aluminium".

the funny part of the name is that, after the apogee, it's all downhill from here. Similar meaning as apex. I guess they're saying that their blocks will get progressively worse from now on :)

Disclaimer: that was not meant in any form as a jab against Swiftech as a company, nor any of their products, nor large bore setups in general, nor the people who use large bore setups, nor the cases, powersupplies, motherboards, or cpus that are used in large bore setups or in swiftech equipped machines.

headala said:
the funny part of the name is that, after the apogee, it's all downhill from here. Similar meaning as apex. I guess they're saying that their blocks will get progressively worse from now on :)

Disclaimer: that was not meant in any form as a jab against Swiftech as a company, nor any of their products, nor large bore setups in general, nor the people who use large bore setups, nor the cases, powersupplies, motherboards, or cpus that are used in large bore setups or in swiftech equipped machines.

Can I borrow your disclaimer? :D

headala said:

I needed a good laugh.. thanks..

headala said:

Means that all the "other" companies blocks get progressively worse from now on............. :eek:

TehRoflcopter said:
You're hilarious!

I try to be a real funny gal because life is too short to get upset about the small stuff....and it's all small stuff. :p

Top Nurse said:
I try to be a real funny gal because life is too short to get upset about the small stuff....and it's all small stuff. :p

You're small stuff!

YES.

SCORE!

Me = 1
You = 0

TehRoflcopter said:

lol nurseowned.

1/2"ID is a minimum. 3/4" is optimal

Back