d820 - upgradable graphics?

dekard

2[H]4U
I'm just wondering if the D820's have upgradeable graphics or not. I poked around a bit and couldn't seem to find an answer and thought I'd ask here.

The D820 (I'm assuming you mean the Dell Latitude) can come with Intel integrated (GMA950), or with an nVidia Quadro NVS 110M Turbocache, either a 256MB or 512MB model. If you buy the GMA950 model, I doubt you can upgrade. If you buy the 256MB nVidia, I'd say it's a reasonable guess that you could upgrade to the 512MB model later, if you can find one at a reasonable price. There aren't any upgrades that I know of to high-end gaming cards or anything though; you'd probably have to look into the XPS line of laptops for that.

I've seen Latitudes with integrated graphics having the solder spots for the graphics card, but they left out the connector that goes on top. So I would lean towards needing to get an expansion card to begin with for them to even include the connector for it. No idea if this connector is standard though... (would XPS cards work in it?).

The D820 (I'm assuming you mean the Dell Latitude) can come with Intel integrated (GMA950), or with an nVidia Quadro NVS 110M Turbocache, either a 256MB or 512MB model. If you buy the GMA950 model, I doubt you can upgrade. If you buy the 256MB nVidia, I'd say it's a reasonable guess that you could upgrade to the 512MB model later, if you can find one at a reasonable price. There aren't any upgrades that I know of to high-end gaming cards or anything though; you'd probably have to look into the XPS line of laptops for that.

Actualy it can be NVS110M or 120M - two different cards.

You can check the owner's manual (available at dell support pages) if an upgrade is possible, but I doubt it.

Having just done battle with Dell over their "claimed" graphics memory, I can assure you the video is imbedded in the system board is not upgradeable without changing the board...per Dell. Another thing to watch for, the 110 is rated at 256mb/ram, the 120 at 512. Actual on-board ram on the 110 is 128mb and 128 shared with system memory, same for the 120, 256 on-board, 256 shared....this is not plainly stated on their web-site and sure as heck should be.

Having just done battle with Dell over their "claimed" graphics memory, I can assure you the video is imbedded in the system board is not upgradeable without changing the board...per Dell. Another thing to watch for, the 110 is rated at 256mb/ram, the 120 at 512. Actual on-board ram on the 110 is 128mb and 128 shared with system memory, same for the 120, 256 on-board, 256 shared....this is not plainly stated on their web-site and sure as heck should be.

It's planily stated on the "help me choose" NVIDIA details section.

Back