D70 or Digital Rebel XT

Prim3

Gawd
I can't decide really... I know the D70 actually is a better camera other then the mega pixels but I have a 35mm flim Canon Rebel T2 that if I remember can use the same lenses as the XT... Also if I get the XT, I am pretty much set into getting a 20D later on so the same lesnes should work on there too if I remember right..

My biggest question and from what I have seen the XT does shoot RAW, can anyone confirm this?

Also, Can anyone Suggest a good Wide Angle or Fish Eye lense and Telophoto lense? For both the nikon and canon.

As for the Nikon a great lens is the 18-200VR(Image Stabilizer) which runs about $700-800.

As for the Canon a great beginning lens is the Canon 17-85IS.

Both camera's shoot their own propriatary RAW format. I went with Canon, because I like their selection of lens. I had the D70(not s), and did not like it. To me it was too noisy past 800, but the saturation was there. Plus I noticed a difference in their lens vs some of the Canon's "L" lens. If you plan to already want the 20D, why dont you just pick up a 20D. You can get a lot of good deals out there on photography forums, because people are unloading them for the 30D or 5D.

Both have a crop factor, so just multiply the mm by 1.5 on the Nikon or 1.6 on the Canon. As for wide angle the Tokina 12-24 is good.....I think they sell it for both mounts. Also it depends on the $$ you want to spend...

Reason why I am going with the XT for now is money to get everything I need to shoot. Later on I will get the 20d or 30d when I can actually afford to buy it with everything I want with it.

Prim3 said:
Reason why I am going with the XT for now is money to get everything I need to shoot. Later on I will get the 20d or 30d when I can actually afford to buy it with everything I want with it.

If nothing else, the XT has an enormous user base and community. Resources /equipment/etc for it are unlimited due to its popularity.

I personally love my XT and i did look at the D70 as a choice as well.

darktiger said:
Plus I noticed a difference in their lens vs some of the Canon's "L" lens...

Canon's "L" (luxury) = Nikon's "ED" (extra dispersion) - they both refer to coated elements within the lenses

PS-RagE said:
Canon's "L" (luxury) = Nikon's "ED" (extra dispersion) - they both refer to coated elements within the lenses
Close, but Nikon doesn't really have a series like Canon does.

generally you are right, but there are a few exceptions.

the "L" designation gives it the better glass, better build, weather sealing...etc.

"ED" ONLY refers to the glass, but it is usually found in their high end lenses, so it almost is like Nikon's own "L" designation although not quite.

I say get a the XT, since you say you already have some lenses that would work with it (as long as those cameras weren't manual focus FD (which the 35mm rebel series wasn't) cameras, they should.)

I have finally decided to go with the XT. I have confirmed and found out how to shoot in RAW... Granted I know raw doesn't matter when going to web but to print it does. Most of my work for now will be to web but when I go back for my photography classes in colllege I am sure Print will be an issue =D I personally like Canon so that also makes me want to stick to the XT and looks that Canon has an eff ton of lesnes I would throw them and I know their are better makes from other companies...

So now here I am...

I want a good Macro Lenses, Wide Angel Lense and Telephoto... All will be bought over a period of time with Wide Angel being the first for the stuff I want to shoot. Any suggestions?

For budget purposes
Wide angle
If you have a lot of $$$ then the Canon 10-22 is great.
If you want good price performance then the Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or 12-24.

General use
The lens kit is not that bad, but you will prob find yourself wanting more real quick.
For budget purpose the the Sigma 18-200($300) or the Canon 17-85IS($450-550). I would prob pick the Canon 17-85 because IS is worth every single penny.

For telezoom
the Canon 100-400IS L is a great lens ($1200)
Canon 70-200L f/4 ($500)

As for the prime no one can beat(performance/price) the 50mm f/1.8 for only $70

Back