D5300 or Canon T5I or Pentax k-50 ? help!

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi guys. I finally want to buy a camera. Up to about 800-900 bucks with lens. I've did some research and I don't think I want mirrorless camera. Just dslr.

I am only enthusiast. It's not going to be for professional use.
What I want to do with it:
- Photos with nicely blurred background, macros, portraits, environements etc. Really like to toy with dof, macros and perspective.
- some night photography with long expousures.
- just an overall photography... Don't even know really. Walking around and taking photos of stuff... that's what photography is all about righ t? :p
- don't care much for filming with it.
- ability to catch a moment so fast shutter speed if possible.
- Like cool expousures aka bracketing and hdr that gives unreal feeling or just even the shadows.

So as for now, I've came across those and cant decide. Just going to list some pros and cons in no order on every camera I am inspecting.

Nikon D5300.
-Great image quality with 24mp for some good cropping
-good night performance
-no touch screen/poor ui/no dedicated iso button/plenty of clicks to get everywhere
-I know to avoid 18-55 kit lens. 18-105 is ok kit tho.
-Will need to get 35mm later on
-hdr is good
-live view is not too usable. no previews in real time of aperature change, expousure change etc.
-Nikon have pricey lenses

Canon 700D:
-Cheaper with bag, tripod and memory card in bundle.
-fully touchscreen/great ui/quick access to iso, aperature etc
-live view dont block any settings and have live preview of all changes. fantastic feature. generally more user friendly camera
-18-55 kit is actually pretty good as people say, unlike nikon's. And 50mm is twice cheaper than on Nikons side
-af seems better than d5300
-worse low light performance than d5300 ?
-hdr is bad.Don't know if I can automaticly take bracketing photos
-Don't know if there is long expousure option to take photos.
-don't know about durability. will one drop of rain, snow kill it ?

Pentax k-50
-worst image quality of three ?
-best build quality. weather sealed camera and lens.
-2 dials
-dont know about live view previews, settings on pentax.
-hard to find here in Poland. Even harder to get lenses
-very loud af screw
-poor af

Was also inspecting A6000 but it don't have manual zoom in lens and is most costly of all.

So... can You help me out? I think I am leaning toward 700D (t5i) but actually It's not to popular on the internet and nikon grabbed that part of the market for themselves. And I am not sure about it's low light quality. But everything else like, ui, screen, price, lenses price is better.

basically Empty Quarter's night, lighting, trials, long expousure photos are my inspiration But I certainly cant get d7100. Can long expousure like that, be possible with 700d or 5300 ?

Last edited:
Long exposure shots can be achieved with any DSLR ever made. Same goes for shallow depth of field (which is achieved using wide open aperture, here a lens selection is more important than a dslr body itself). Same goes for macro photography, another field that's more lens dependent than camera body.

You will be able to achieve all that and more no matter which camera you decide to go with. That being said, on paper, the Nikon camera appears to be better of the two (can't say much about the K-50. I don't even know anyone using the Pentax system around here). On that note, if something is hard to get, then why even consider it? You will have more difficult time finding support for niche system. Why make life difficult for yourself? The price difference is IMO justified as well. The only advantage 700D has over the D5300 is the touchscreen, and even that isn't really a true advantage. Just a gimmicky feature.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is go down to a camera store and hold the two cameras in your hands, play with the knobs, menus, buttons. See which camera feels better. It's a tool you will be using for the next few years, so it's best that you are comfortable using it.

Think I will get 700D anyway. IQ is basically the same as d5300 but it's cheaper and have fantastic touch screen and cheaper lenses

Cheaper lenses you say? Sure... why not ;)

Have fun with the hobby! Hope the camera is everything you were hoping for and more!

At least here in Poland.
Prime lenses for canon are 2 times cheaper than nikon. But maybe I am missing something.

If you're going to go entry-level crop DSLR, go Pentax. Nikon and Canon don't do a very good job of supporting their crop-sensor DSLRs.

All in all, I went with 700d and I am very happy. Camera is great. Now I just need to learn to use it

Back