D4 Pump, Needs a Quiet Replacement!

ronenvelarde

Limp Gawd
So I've been running the DangerDen D4 but its noisy. Please no comments about the pump not being noisy. I defenitely do not want to get into that controversy. The case I have is a Lian- Li V1200B. My question is I want to replace this pump with something shhh since it will be going into a study. I have been recommended the small 3/8 Laing pump but I have a 1/2" setup. Could I run two 3/8" pumps parallel and join the tubing with a Y splitting the inlet for the two pumps and a Y joining it back togetehr on teh way out of the 2 pumps or run them in sequence? Would my noise be right back to teh D4? I want to be able to replace the pump without having to undo the entire system because I cant find anyone to do it for me. I just dont have much time to work on my pc anymore.

Thanks for any input!

The swiftech MCP - 350 is supposed to be very quiet, and if you mod it to a 1/2" inlet it performs exceptionally as well. Might want to look into it

Isnt that just a rebranded Laing? I am not aware of a mod to 1/2" for this pump other than putting a adapter for 3/8 - 1/2". Pump head and pressure would suffer a drop I presume.

Also, have you tried hooking the D4 up to a fan controller to reduce the RPM?
Quote from DangerDen:
"Also, tuning of your pump flow rates can be done with a rheobus. The rheobus needs to have at least a rating of 18W per channel. Just like fan control, if a user wants the lowest sound level possible, the pump voltage can be decreased. This can lead to different CPU temperatures and as a end user, you can control this! The sound levels have been greatly reduced. Remember, at least 6 Volts is needed to start the pump. " End Quote.

There is the new MCP655, which is almost as quiet as the MCP350.

Laing have revised the D4 in the last couple of months, apparantly with similar electronics as used in the MCP350, thereby giving it near silent operation. Swiftech now sell it as the MCP655. I have the MCP655 here and there's no comparison. The old D4's are like a wailing banshee in comparison. The new D4's are extremely quiet - as in Eheim 1048 sort of quiet.

Cathar, do you happen to know how to Identify the revised D4 vs the old D4?

Hrm.

Cathar, is this new (black housing D4) pump actually quieter at the highest setting than the old blue housing (the one i got recently from DangerDen =/ ...) Laing D4?
or is the new one 'quieter' because it has that little red dial, and you can lower the RPMs, thus lowering noise?

Thanks.

Momo said:
Hrm.

Cathar, is this new (black housing D4) pump actually quieter at the highest setting than the old blue housing (the one i got recently from DangerDen =/ ...) Laing D4?
or is the new one 'quieter' because it has that little red dial, and you can lower the RPMs, thus lowering noise?

Thanks.

Quieter period, at any setting.

The whine of the pump is 95% gone.

ah crap!
I'm gonna have to call DangerDen and see if they'll take this thing back for store-credit.
I've not even plugged the thing in, yet.
Basically my real reason for Liquid Cooling my system is to get rid of the horribly high pitched screaming fans on my gainward 6800gt GS.

Having a pump that is gonna emit a high pitched whine simply wont do.

Hopefully they will be understanding.

Thanks Cathar.

I contacted Danger Den about the new 655 and their sales department didn't seem to know what on earth I was talking about. Let us know if you have any luck with them.

MCP655 is the Swiftech model number, so that's why DangerDen wouldn't know about it.

I don't know what the OEM code for it would be such that you could ask DD about it.

Maybe just ask "Do you have those new DD-D4-12V pumps in stock that have the black pump body and the red speed dial on the back?"

I'd be interested in seeing what they say about it, as im looking at getting the D4 pump myself next month when i build my water cooling setup. The reports of the whiney pump were putting my off it alittle, but if they start selling a new model of it now that doesnt have the whine then ill go for it ;)

I described the look of the new pump when I inquired about it. The DD rep responded by giving me some other employee's email addresses (as if they'd respond better to me than her!). I wrote the people the rep indicated but I've not gotten any response.

I just got a D4 about 2 months ago. It must be one of the new ones, because unless I stick my ear against it, I can't hear it.

Orkan, I got my D4 2 months ago aswell.
I've yet to even plug the thing in, i've been totally slacking :p

anyhow, is yours a blue housing, or black?

Cathar said:
There is the new MCP655, which is almost as quiet as the MCP350.

Laing have revised the D4 in the last couple of months, apparantly with similar electronics as used in the MCP350, thereby giving it near silent operation. Swiftech now sell it as the MCP655. I have the MCP655 here and there's no comparison. The old D4's are like a wailing banshee in comparison. The new D4's are extremely quiet - as in Eheim 1048 sort of quiet.

Is there any performance difference between the MCP-650 and the MCP-655, or was this an attempt to silence (pun intended) the complaints people have had with the MCP-650's whine?

Timmee said:
Is there any performance difference between the MCP-650 and the MCP-655, or was this an attempt to silence (pun intended) the complaints people have had with the MCP-650's whine?

Actually the newer pumps are even more powerful than the older ones.

If I didn't know better, it is almost like it's really meant to be a D5 pumps. Laing, the OEM, already make D1->D4 models, and the new black ones with the red dial, which incidentally has 5 positions labelled 1->5, and on the #5 position it is clearly more powerful than the old D4 model.

All i've got to say is that i'll be a longtime DangerDen customer.
They have some of the best customer service i've ever experienced :)

Cathar, thanks for all your input, review (on that other site) and general knowledge on the subject, and about watercooling in general. ;)
I should mention that the dudes at dangerden had a nice thing or two to say about yourself, heh :D

keep up the good work!

Momo said:
Orkan, I got my D4 2 months ago aswell.
I've yet to even plug the thing in, i've been totally slacking :p

anyhow, is yours a blue housing, or black?

Blue housing

If anyone knows where to get one of these puppies let me know plz. I need to order one. Best part is i wont have to change the tube routing or sizes because i have the D4 in there now.

Back