D3 FPS boost

I am curious as to what this does. Does it cache textures in the sytem RAM, or video RAM? Either way I am about to try it out.

It makes 0 difference for me. I tried numerous values and they all ran exactly the same, within +/- 1 fps. The game also wasn't any smoother.

Huge difference for me. High Quality 1280 x 1024 with 4x aa and 8x af never drops below 30 fps in 4 player multiplayer deathmatch for me.

It does help actually but make sure u have 512MB + memory, recommend 1GB ram though. U will notice the game run smoother at Ultra High and High details and have resolution above 1024x768. and yes it dun really help at Low reso and low detail or mid detail since they dun use much textures as High and Ultra High detail. It will help when u starting to bump ur graphic details. and u will also find smoother at intensive fighting.

if u have video card with 128MB and AGP Aperture size at 128MB then u can set the cache value at 256 and yes that will smooth out of fps when u playing Ultra High detail

if u have 256MB graphic card and AGP aperture size at 128MB then u only need to change the cache size to 128MB

so on~

PS: Timedemo is not acurate since it's fixed bench with fixed textures, u will only see difference in game play when polygons starts to rise and textures starts to get more, that's the time this cache size thing become useful.

And be sure dun change ur Mem Cache minimum "image_cacheMinK" (Default Value 20) at all. If u changed it it will use (fixed)wat eva u set to even u dun need. For example when u set it at 256 minimum it will hold those cache size foreva even u dun need it. All u need to change is the "image_cacheMegs" (Default Value 32).

I think if you have 512 it will help, if you have more it wont... Or maybe its your vid cards ram amount... Whatever. im ganna try it.

Quake III had a similar addition to allow larger textures and character mods.

It helped performance whether you used large textures or not.

ohhhh, ic.

Didn't notice an increase earlier because the limiting factor was my graphics card's ability to pump out the frames.

This tweak will only help you guys who are running into a memory limitation (i.e. 128 mb cards that right now run on medium quality may be able to pull off high/ultra with little to no performance hit)

For you folks with high-end vidcards like 6800 GT's and stuff, you won't notice a difference in framerate in high quality (because you have enough ram already) but try bumping this value up + going to ultra... you should see a difference.

Anywho this is pretty sweet, before I was playing on medium, now on high 800x600 w/geforce 5200 (I changed some other stuff in that file just for the hell of it:p... not sure if that's making a difference)

this is still all just speculation (from my experiments) no idea what it really does:p

Imagine what this will do for the GeForce 6800 non-ultra... lmk what you guys find out.

Everybody was surprised at how well the 6800 non-ultra 128 mb cards were holding up even at high quality when they shouldn't even be there. Most likely they took a big performance hit because they needed to swap out so much junk but were on a gpu so fast that it still got high marks anyway.

Just imagine what it could do without that hindering 'em.

I can play on 1280x1024 high settings with few drops below 30 now, don't know if its the level i'm on or the command.

For those ppl who is comfused about 60fps lock in DOOM3. It is actually not locked at 60fps but gameplayed at 60fps level, but u still can have more than 60fps. The game running at 60fps Level not locked at 60fps.

For ATi users, I have done lots readings, that setting AGP Aperture Size at 256MB helps ATi card to improve performance and stability while NVIDIA users should set at AGP Aperture size at 128MB no more.

I just did some tests and I think the results are pretty conclusive. On my system, which is:

p4 2.4b processor at 2.8 ghz
asus p4pe mobo
512MB pc3200 corsair DDR
Gigabyte Radeon 9700 pro
WD 80GB 8MB cache HD
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz SC
Sony DVD burner
Altec Lansing 641 4.1 speakers
Sony G420S 19" monitor
Logitech MX510 mouse

I got the following results with timedemo 1:

value 20 (default):
1024x768 medium details: 34.3 fps
1024x768 high details: 30.9 fps

value 96:
1024x768 medium details: 34.4 fps

So basically it does nothing, at least it didn't do anything on my system. I also tried changing the usecache value to 1 from 0, and it caused doom to crash to desktop while booting. So as far as I can tell it really doesnt do anything. Placebo effect maybe?

ozziegn said:
I'll give it a whirl, what the heck....

Me too as soon as I get home....

I am currently using nvhardpage to set triple buffering ON, vsyn ON in the game menu, and it is quite a bit smoother than before. I do this because I am on a 19" LCD and without triple/vsync I get tearing...

gregr said:
I got the following results with timedemo 1:

value 20 (default):
1024x768 medium details: 34.3 fps

value 96:
1024x768 medium details: 34.4 fps

So basically it does nothing, at least it didn't do anything on my system. I also tried changing the usecache value to 1 from 0, and it caused doom to crash to desktop while booting. So as far as I can tell it really doesnt do anything. Placebo effect maybe?

Perhaps placebo, try benchmarking that on 1280x1024 at High settings then without the tweak. If you were only getting a 4 fps drop initially with the increase then you need to go higher.

Does absolutely nothing for me. I thought it did at first too, but it was just the new area i was in.

this tweak also works for 6800 series/ high end cards (proves that it isnt only a boost for shitty cards) cards ....my friends setup is this:

P4 2.8GHZ LGA775
i915P DUA AGP/PCI-E Board
6800NU
512MB Geil RAM
36GB Raptor

His default value was 32, and he changed it to 256, and even on a GF6800 .... his FPS went from like 20FPS @ 640x480 low to 1024x768 on high @ 45fps , so it does work on high end cards...

Dillusion said:
this tweak also works for 6800 series/ high end cards (proves that it isnt only a boost for shitty cards) cards ....my friends setup is this:

P4 2.8GHZ LGA775
i915P DUA AGP/PCI-E Board
6800NU
512MB Geil RAM
36GB Raptor

His default value was 32, and he changed it to 256, and even on a GF6800 .... his FPS went from like 20FPS @ 640x480 low to 1024x768 on high @ 45fps , so it does work on high end cards...

Uh... I'd hope he'd be getting better fps than that with a GeForce 6800 non-ultra...

Back