D-Link Routers; "Disconnects" How bad is it?

MrSloppy

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm trying to decide on a router and I found in the FAQ that the following two router are the most recommended to date. However they both share problems where people report that their routers are disconnecting and rebooting them when they are downloading heavily, or some times randomly. Why is it that these two routers are considered to be the best of the bunch when they have such problems? Are there fixes to this already? Is it safe for me to buy either one of these when I use BT, and have 3 other family members who more often than not are using the internet heavily at the same time?

D-Link DIR-655

"One BIG problem and not everyone hits it. This router reboots and/or slows WAY down when under load. Any time I have two machines downloading via torrent, the entire system will slow to a crawl then disconnect or flat out reboot. I have flashed every bios all the way to the current beta bios, spoken with support numerous times, provided them with a test app that reboots this router in about 5 seconds on any firmware or setting they have had me try and still have the problem with no fix in sight. I wrote an app that spams packet errors and retrys on a port and the entire router will shut down and reboot quickly."

D-Link DGL-4500

"Multiple disconnects during the day on wireless and sometimes on wired."

I have 2 DIR 655 at my house and nerver ran into disconnects. I also have one at work and it works great with 50+ clients plug in.

I own a DGL-4500 and for the most part i love it. I had enough gift certificates to buy it and just pay for the shipping... anyway the range is nice, my iphone gets full signal out in the parking lot in my car. however it does seem to have its disconnect issues. others complain more about disconnects, i guess mine aren't as bad/frequent. I haven't had any issues torrenting. fast gigabit networking. dlink is actively working on new firmware, so we'lll see hopefully soon. it was released prematurely a week/10 days ago or so and the firmware was cr*p, so dlink pulled it, but they are re-writing it feverishly i'm sure.

Has the DGL-4500 been having the disconnect issues for a long time or was it a problem that was recently introduced via firmware? Is it something that can even be fixed by firmware?

Keep in mind that any consumer grade (actually, any product - business or consumer grade) will have manufacturing issues from time to time. These can be firmware issues easily fixed with an update or simply a bad run of hardware or defective chips. Many consumer and even some business grade hardware is rarely tested past what amounts to a POST and every now and then someone gets a fuzzy transmitter, bad solder point on an antenna (causing noise and disconnects), bad caps (causing DOA or other power cycling issues), etc.

That said, my time with the DIR-655 was pretty painless - though I will say that I do not make much use of the wireless except to browse with my laptop.

In the end, this is why I recommend buying routers from a local B&M shop. That way, if you suspect in the slightest that you have may a defective unit, take it back and exchange it with little to no questions asked.

From what I have read, it seems torrents really strain any router out there. I haven't really seen any router that can handle torrents unless you limit the torrent connections.

I have a dgl-4300 and its been fine. Bittorrent has knocked out the routers web interface once or twice, while just slowing down the internet connecting. Resetting the router cured it enough so i could get in and block the prick who was bittorrenting.

Back