D-Link Port Forward Issue's

IShadesl

n00b
Hello all!
Having some issue's port forwarding some ports for Killing Floor 2.
The issue I'm having is high ping (500-1500) on any server, all the time. I've disabled the firewall with no luck so my next guess was to forward the game ports.
I have successfully done this in the past with no issue's. This is a new ISP with a newly provided modem/router. I have not used D-Link in the past.

I've gone ahead and put up a static IP for two computers I have the game installed on, forward the ports, test them via Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router or Open Port Check Tool and they're still closed.

Current internet setup is:

• ISP: Hughes Net Satellite Internet
  • Router: D-Link DIR619L-ES
  • Firmware Version: 2.04ES
  • Modem: Hughes HT1100

Ports needed to forward:

I have even followed a few D-Link specific guides with no luck.
This past weekend I was at my lake house which has the same ISP, same modem and router - tested my ping and it was the same 500-1500!

Any help is appreciated. Please go easy I'm still rather new to networking.

Port forwarding isn't going to do anything for you unless you're hosting the game. Port forwarding allows inbound traffic to pass through to the designated IP, if you're playing on someone else's server that's not going to come into play. Frankly if you're on Huges Net you're going to get attrocious pings no matter what you do. Satellite internet is not gaming friendly at all. If you want to make sure it's nothing local to the router, you could see if it has a DMZ and put the IP of the PC you want to test from in it, just don't leave it like that for too long.

So to recap...Huges Net is way better than dial-up if it's all you can get, but you can kiss low latency goodbye. Sorry. :(

Thanks for your reply.

I've come to terms with what my internet is, however much I don't like it. It is what it is - our only means of "high speed" internet within this area.

How come with the other games I've played my latency is 100-200 with servers in the US/close to me and now with this particular game I'm getting double/triple that even with servers within the United States?

In the end it really has to do with the path the traffic takes. Something could be physically farther away but you might have a better route to it...a bit of a crap shoot.

Hughes Net Satellite Internet, you're not going to see low pings no matter what you do. The rest is up to the ISP regarding routing and peering.

Back