D-Link & m0n0wall VPN wired routers

Spartacus

2[H]4U
I have two different VPN routers that while a few years old, are rock solid VPN business class routers. Way more reliable than the stuff on typical big box shelves.

The first is a D-Link DFL-200 router that I had as a backup router for a customer, just sitting on my shelf as a spare. They have a bunch of home workers and field guys using VPN to connect to the office with laptops and phones and it worked well for them for many years. It does both PPTP (compatible with the Windows built-in VPN) and IPSEC and is super easy to configure. It has a 4 port switch, WAN, DMZ, and console ports.

The only thing is that it does top out around 50Mbps or so on the WAN. Very nice router though. Cheap and easy to configure for small biz use. The customer would still be using theirs except they now have a fast ISP connection and wanted their full bandwidth. So I installed a more expensive Cisco and no longer need this spare one for them.

The other router is a different animal.... it's the firewall called "m0n0wall" which is like a lite version of pfSense. It's installed on a "WRAP" computer on a card and is in a very small aluminum case. Low power, no noise, no fans, rock stable. Very powerful and configurable with many features. I was using it in my home office until I got a fast cable connection. The WAN on this tops out around 22Mbps. Just the WAN & LAN ports on this one, it's meant to use with an additional switch for LAN ports. Different from the D-Link, but still very easy to configure and use.

So yes these are slower routers, but they have price and stability going for them. Perfect for small offices that still have T1, DSL, or relatively low speed ISP service.

Your choice, $50 each shipped or best offer.

Heat is under "Spartacus".

Xz1Fi1k.jpg

Last edited:
Back