D-Link DIR665 Dropping connection constantly

yegor

Limp Gawd
I really HATE this router. It drops connection several times a day, and sometimes takes minutes to pick it up again. I have the latest firmware, and I tried 2 different routers, because I thought the first might have been defective, but nothing helped.

WiFI makes the problem occur even more often, and sometimes when it reconnects, I get about 1mbit down via the wifi connection (on a 100mbit connection from my ISP), until I reboot the router completely. Is there a way to fix this or should I just go back to Linksys which I used for years without any problems?

It drops connection with or without wireless clients being connected.

Why would you use WIFI on a 100mb connection, I would use gigabit ethernet.

I assume you've removed the plastic packaging which covers the ventilation holes, because the router will overheat and crash if you do not. Is the router in a well-ventilated area?

On the Status -> Statistics screen, do you see any WAN or LAN errors? If you see even one LAN or WAN error, then either 1) the router is defective, 2) the router is overheating, or 3) your ethernet cabling or network card is defective. Since you've already replaced the router and see the same problem, then it looks like the cause is #2 or #3. If the router is in a well-ventilated area, then the cause is #3.

What sort of network adapter are you using?

I have not had a single errant disconnection with my DIR-655 in the past 10 weeks. Furthermore, I have over 150 million LAN and WAN packets received since my last router reboot, with not a single WAN or LAN error.

Yes I took the plastic off.

My PC is connected via a wire, and the laptop is just a secondary computer so it doesnt really matter.

I fail to see how a defective cable/network card would cause the router to drop the wired and wireless connections at the same time. I had a linksys router before this, and it worked flawlessly with the same cables and network cards.

There are no no LAN errors, but there are WAN errors.

I fail to see how a defective cable/network card would cause the router to drop the wired and wireless connections at the same time.
If you fail to see that, you don't have much networking experience. A defective cable can crash a $50,000 commercial network router.

High-speed devices are potentially more susceptible to defective connections than are slow devices. That Linksys won't sustain much more than 20Mbps throughput, which would be a waste if you do have a 100Mbps connection as suggested.

There are no no LAN errors, but there are WAN errors.
WAN errors due to poor or defective cabling will crash a DIR-655. Replace the cable connected from your modem or ethernet feed to the DIR-655. I would suggest CAT5 or CAT6.

What kind of errors are you getting in the Windows event viewer?

EDIT: Also, are you using the Dlink program or Windows Zero Config? Make sure you are running only one. I would also check if there is a difference when you disable the WEP/WPA security.

Fair enough. I will try a different cable.

Im not using any software, I just plugged the router in, and configured it from the admin interface.

I had the DIR-615 Wireless N router and had nothing but problems with it :mad: . It's Netgear or Linksys for me now. I prefer Netgear. I currently have a Netgear WPN824 and I love it.

I sold my D-Link on Ebay! :D

Fair enough. I will try a different cable.

Im not using any software, I just plugged the router in, and configured it from the admin interface.
Be sure to clear the log before you install the new cable so you can confirm that you are no longer experiencing those WAN errors.

Anytime you get a WAN error (known as a "fatal WAN error" by D-Link support) the DIR-655 may drop the connection.

I picked up a WRT330N and it wont work at all for me! I think Im cursed!

Until you fix those WAN errors, you are going to have problems with any high-speed router.

Back