D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N Storage Router and Photo Frame - $89.99 - 1 Day Only

Is this a good router?

I have the DIR655 (modded with a cooling fan), I hear the DIR685 is better. I've never had a problem with my 655, I've had it for about 12-16months, it stays relatively rock solid now that they worked out the FW issues.

Considering I came from a WRT54G, which lasted on average around 6 months .. I'd say it's not bad.

Hmm... My WRT54GL from 2005 is still operating just fine.

I have the DIR655 (modded with a cooling fan), I hear the DIR685 is better. I've never had a problem with my 655, I've had it for about 12-16months, it stays relatively rock solid now that they worked out the FW issues.

Considering I came from a WRT54G, which lasted on average around 6 months .. I'd say it's not bad.

A fan for what purpose? And how are you powering it?

It would be very interested to see what custom firmware folks do with this. A hard drive is old news, but what about the LCD? Maybe display random images being downloaded by folks in your household?

All joking aside, does anyone know the hardware specs of this device?

I own DIR655 and it is a rock solid router. It does get a little hot but nothing that would require a fan...

As for the 685, it is a decent router from the reviews I have read.

Reviews seem to be all over the place. :(

I really liked the multiple USB ports.

Bought this on woot a month or so back. For under 100$ it's a good router, the storage is pretty useful when you just want to put a few things in there to share with the home network at all times. As a picture frame I don't really use it because the screen is small and it gets really hot after the HDD has been running for some time. Mainly I just set it up as an access point in the living room to extend the wireless in my house. I also have all our living room electronics hooked up to it. Serves it's purpose but wouldn't pay a dime over $100 for it.

A hardcore router with a built-in photo frame? What? :confused:

"Gosh, I sure wish I could game wirelessly with minimal lag AND be able to check out those photo albums from that summer vacation."

Exactly what I was thinking. What a strange combination. I"ll bet this started out as something different and much cooler in the design phase. But then as development went on they weren't able to do what they wanted with the screen so they said "Well, we could always use it as a photo frame."

It just looks like a programmable LCD that they ended up running with a photo app. You could probably mod it to do whatever you like.

This thing looks sweet, but a little limited in storage space (one 2.5" drive, really?).

Exactly what I was thinking. What a strange combination. I"ll bet this started out as something different and much cooler in the design phase. But then as development went on they weren't able to do what they wanted with the screen so they said "Well, we could always use it as a photo frame."

You're probably right. What a shame too. Could have been really awesome to have various "widgets" for the little screen, like an stats readout or weather or something like that.

Here's a review of the 685 that showed good performance but the negatives on the unit (fan noise, etc) outweighed it and resulted in a "not recommended" conclusion.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...30864-smashed-mash-up-d-link-dir-685-reviewed

I have a DIR-655 that's been rock solid. Probably stick with it and see how the reviews look for D-Link's new directional antenna/beam steering routers when they come out in the next quarter or so.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/ces-2011/31377-ces-2011-d-link-announcements

Here's a review of the 685 that showed good performance but the negatives on the unit (fan noise, etc) outweighed it and resulted in a "not recommended" conclusion.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...30864-smashed-mash-up-d-link-dir-685-reviewed

I have a DIR-655 that's been rock solid. Probably stick with it and see how the reviews look for D-Link's new directional antenna/beam steering routers when they come out in the next quarter or so.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/ces-2011/31377-ces-2011-d-link-announcements

Very interesting links. I noticed that the 685 has some kind of expansion slot, not sure whether its a SODIMM or mini-PCI. If it's enabled, the modders will have a field day with it.

Hmm... My WRT54GL from 2005 is still operating just fine.

I hate that router with every fiber of my being. Every one I've ever ran into dropped wireless signals or would restart under high load (all were completely different situations with different computers using both wired and wireless).

I have the dir-825, they really stepped up their game in the firmware section, I had a few issues with the initial firmware but the last few firmwares have made me fall in love with that router. I have like 11 things being pumped with this router and it doesn't break a sweat.

I actually tried out the linksys e4200 and was a big disappointment. The thing dropped every wireless computer all the way down to 1mb when I tried to download a file or stream video. When i stopped doing that the wireless connection would steadily climb to 270mb but try the same thing again I could see the connection go all the way down to 1mb. It was kinda pathetic did it on every computer I tried.

e-4200 did have better range though but I am done with linksys for the time being, every router I have tried to go with from linksys has disappointed me in the last few years.

I have a dlink DGL-4500 that was awesome for about 6 months, then it started having issues. I updated the firmware and now its worse. I reset it probably every 3 days.

Back