D-Link DIR-655

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Is this the new DGL-4300???

I stumbled upon the D-Link DIR-655 today by accident @BB.... and even though i hate buying from BB in first place, i couldn't resist this shiny little gem. Wanted to upgrade my router anyways, so low and behold, i got meself the unit.

Now, this seems to be the successor of the highly successful DGL-4300 gaming router. Sure, it doesn't call it gamefuel, but the same QoS engine is built in (actually a upgraded version of it with a new processor), has Wireless-(draft)N capabilities, yadda yadda yadda and GIGABIT ethernet.... yep, you heard right, this Wireless-N router does indeed have the same (or better) specs as the 4300 gaming router with it's highly successful Ubicom QoS engine and Gigabit ports.

I, of course, tested it immediately at home and to my surprise, it actually performs on par or better than my 4300. Pings seem a little better or on par in games, simultanious connections top out at 180 just as the 4300, throughput seems a little better even (tested accordingly to Toms hardware router testing methods, which i found pretty accurate with my routers).

Wireless performance is great with increased range and a slightly better throughput with my Wireless-G card. No connection drops so far and very easy and complete Firmware.

Overall it seems like a Winner in my book. Draft-N might not be finalized yet and might not hold the advantages that companies advertise to the fullest, but this router sure is the next best thing if you want to upgrade to a gaming friendly router than has lots of simultanious connections and high throughput.
There really is no reason to go with the 4300 anymore since this unit can be had for only $10-20 more and features better range and throughput as far as i could see.

Anyways, that's it for my mini-review. I hope i made some people's decision a little easier. If you're into buying a new router and were looking at the 4300, then you might just want to get this one instead!

Thanks for sharing your opinion ScYcS. I can't seem to find another review of this router anywhere! I was wondering if you would be able to answer a few questions?

(1) Do you know if this router handles file-sharing (like bit torrent) at a reasonable speed? A lot of routers slow down to a crawl when you attempt this.

(2) Any chance you own a Nintendo DS and would be able to verify if it can connect to this router?

(3) Do you have any b wireless devices (like the aforementioned DS), and, if so, do they cause any kind of a bottleneck with your g devices?

Thanks so much!

Does it support 9K jumbo frames?

FWIW:

This product is based on IEEE draft 802.11n specifications and is not guaranteed
to be forward compatible with future versions of IEEE 802.11n specifications.
Compatibility with draft 802.11n devices from other manufacturers is not
guaranteed. All references to speed and range are for comparison purposes
only.

I think I'm just going to visit the emulator page and pretend I own one.

http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/Wireless.htm

rennervision said:
Thanks for sharing your opinion ScYcS. I can't seem to find another review of this router anywhere! I was wondering if you would be able to answer a few questions?

(1) Do you know if this router handles file-sharing (like bit torrent) at a reasonable speed? A lot of routers slow down to a crawl when you attempt this.

(2) Any chance you own a Nintendo DS and would be able to verify if it can connect to this router?

(3) Do you have any b wireless devices (like the aforementioned DS), and, if so, do they cause any kind of a bottleneck with your g devices?

Thanks so much!

To answer real quickly:

(1) It does and it does it very well. It has the same amount of open connections as the DLG-4300 (180) and that router is on the top of the charts for torrents/filesharing apps

(2) i don't have a nintendo DS

(3) i tried with one "b" device in the network only once when my sons friend was over with his laptop. I didn't see any difference in speed or range when the network was in mixed mode...

<edit> yes, it does support 9k frames.

Thanks, ScYcS. I've been considering different routers, and I think I'm going to go with this one based on what you've said.

Instead of making a new thread, I decided to post my question here.

How do these new "Wireless-N" routers/recievers differ from Wireless G in terms of range?

That depends on if you're using wireless "n" client adapters or not. With "g" clients, the range is far superior to "g", but with "g" it's only a little better, probably more due to newer firmware/parts in the router and better antennae.

ScYcS said:
yes, it does support 9k frames.

Wow, that's great. Thanks.

Now I've been burned in the past with supposed support for jumbo frames, even from D-Link, so would you mind telling me how you confirmed this? Did you do a test and confirm throughput and frame size or did you see it in the specs somewhere? I looked and didn't find anything.

Regarding the Jumbo frames, i read that the switch part in the 655 is supposingly the DGS-2205 equivalent, which supports jumbo frames according to d-link.

I read this on a forum, so i can't say for sure that this is true.....

Well I got this today at Best Buy and just hooked it up. Set up was super fast and, for anyone who may interested, the Nintendo DS easily connects to it. Haven't had a chance to use my laptop yet, but my other computer (either XP or 98) connects just fine. Looks like this router will suit me nicely. So far I'm pleased. :D

Any unadulterated pictures? It looks like something Apple designed; the glossy white plastic part.

Back